Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 04:34 PM

174 posts, read 255,277 times

Advertisements

We are here for investment reasons. However, for a while we loved So Cal. I feel sad reading all the liberal nonsense here. Why don't we move all the illegals in to Beverly Hills? We can pay heir rent and give them free cars and free everything? Welcome to the Help-All-People-Who-Have-Nothing state or California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
"From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs." - K. Marx

That seems to be the official California state modus operandi. The problem is that more and more needy people keep moving in, and more and more able people are getting tired of paying for the free hand outs, particularly to those who either never developed any ability, choose to have no ability, or came from out-of-state (code words) where the culture is not amenable to development of job skills, or who have discovered that not working pays more than working.

Then we have elected officials who in my opinion should be tested for rabies. They include people who spout things like, "You have to pass it before you read it." Other elected officials obviously never got toys in childhood like my H.O. model train I had when I was 10 years old, and so they have sublimated this internal lack and decided that what the state needs is a "crazy train."

Evidently California should be famous for having elected officials who understand nothing about economics. But that is nothing unusual when you compare it to the federal government, who by the way should also be tested for rabies.

I think that every elected official should be required to pass some sort of test indicating that they understand economics. That's in addition to the rabies certification.

Yes, California is one of the most expensive places to live in the entire US. And don't you New Yorkers get uppity because your cost of living exceeds ours, vastly. And pulease don't move to LA and complain that it isn't as good as NYC. Countless jets leave LA for NYC every day. If you don't like LA, please be on one of them. Go back to your kith, your kin and your ilk. Tell them how crappy Los Angeles is and maybe they won't come here and bring their snooty NYC attitudes with them.

And by the way, don't biatch about Los Angeles not being walkable. We like it that way. You can't enjoy the sea, the snow and the desert in the same day unless you have a car in L.A. You can enjoy your NYC beaches if you like, and then get on a plane to see desert or mountains or go skiing. How's the surf at Brighton Beach? I bet they have good blintzes there though!

If you don't like Los Angeles there's a 'Hound leaving about every 20 minutes. Be on one.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:50 PM

281 posts, read 309,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac84 View Post
At how many years in your profession? Entry, middle, management? What do you want? BA, MA or PhD professional wage? Lawyer, Doctor, Dentist, Teacher, Police Officer, Fireman, Nurse, Accountant, Banker, Psychologist, Counselor, Principal, Human Resource dept, Claims adjustor, Sales Rep, Real estate Agent, Insurance Agent, Money manager, Computer Programmer, Camera Operator, Ad Rep (Auto trader), Chef, Stylist/Barber, Restaurant Manager, etc, etc, etc? So many jobs to list....just get educated and work hard!!

How bout 50-100k per individual. Dual income 100k-200k.

If you can't live comfortably in Southern California on that, then blame yourself, not the city or state.

9.3 income tax
28 percent federal (before write offs)

that leaves you with 62.7 percent of your income
I'm curious....How old are you? I'm trying to figure out what time period you're reflecting on that makes you think 50,000 a year is still a good income in the LA area.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:19 PM

13 posts, read 14,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
Okay, but what do you consider to be a professional wage? Especially by Southern California standards.
Probably $25 an hr at least. $40 in the Bay Area.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 PM

13 posts, read 14,641 times
Quote:
That was a real cute post, but are you seriously comparing the pickiness of southern California girls to other areas of the United States? Also, when did he suggest he was trying to attain a Kate Upton? There are several levels of acceptable attractiveness before you get to Kate Upton. Hell, most guys would be more than happy with a faithful version of Susanna Hoffs, (Bangles) even at the age she is now!

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying and I'm sure people with high expectations do exist. I also feel that the OP is in one of the best places ultimately to find that girl, taking into account the sheer volume of attractive women in the city. However, LA does make you work for it.
You mean guys who wouldn't mind an older woman? Speaking of which, is L.A a good city for cougars or for younger men dating older women? Hows the scene for that?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:44 PM

281 posts, read 309,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah1Stunnah View Post
You mean guys who wouldn't mind an older woman? Speaking of which, is L.A a good city for cougars or for younger men dating older women? Hows the scene for that?
I'm using an example of a reasonably attractive woman, that most guys would be happy to date, as far as looks are concerned. A Kate Upton is not necessary to still be very attracted to someone. Kate is from another world! Lol. Most guys just want a girl that is pretty, not necessarily gorgeous, sweet disposition ( not slave or geisha) and faithful. LA can be a little challenging for that combination.

As far as cougars, LA is the place!!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 PM

120 posts, read 219,469 times
Quote:
I'm curious....How old are you? I'm trying to figure out what time period you're reflecting on that makes you think 50,000 a year is still a good income in the LA area.
I like how you picked the starting income I chose to represent a professional wage. I guess starting income should be 100k. The average HOUSEHOLD income in LA is 54k (apprx), I repeat.....HOUSE HOLD.

If you want to use my 50k income, think single with no kids, that isn't enough to live in LA??!! 100k isn't enough for a single person or family of 4? 150k to 200k for a family of 5 isn't enough?

If that isn't enough.....Lol! SMH.

Oh yea, it isn't enough because everyone living in LA should have a 2500 sq ft home in Santa Monica and drive a Ferrari. You should have enough money to go out on the town 7 days a week and buys tons of trendy clothes.

Ridiculous!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah1Stunnah View Post
Probably $25 an hr at least. $40 in the Bay Area.
52k a year!!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:54 PM

Santa Monica Housing and Economic Development - Santa Monica Community Profile

Median household income in Santa Monica is 71K..... How can this be true? Coupons maybe. Everyone in that city has to be living in poverty and 71% of the population are white.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:17 PM

This is a breakdown of what it takes to "live" in LA. Check it out

Living Wage Calculator - Living Wage Calculation for Los Angeles County, California

as you can see a "living" wage for a family of five in LA is 58k, I put my min. for dual earners at 100k.......more than enough.

If you look at professional wages, you can see they would have no problems making it in LA....like I did before I moved.

I'm so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles