Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:45 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Asking in the LA forum. It would be better said, "how do LA people view NYC people".

LA is not CA. It is LA. LA is less than 1% of CA. I live in CA and it snows more than what NYC gets.
I asked in the LA forum. because LA is the most urban city in Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Wrong forum, but I'll answer anyway.

I think New York is overrated. I will continue to visit, since I have family in Brooklyn, but I would never live there, unless I was forced to. I like it for visiting.
Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJudge View Post
I don't really think about NY much except when it's on TV (like New Years Eve or 9/11 or music videos) or when I see people from NY here in LA. The time that I passed through, it seemed busy and big, even the hilly areas were populated like here in So Cal. Stereotypes: loud very loud, extremely proud of their city to the point of being obnoxious, hip, urbane, not as good looking as Californians, smart, and sort of pushy. Again I don't think about NY, unless somebody asks the question or I encounter a New Yorker.
Thanks for your honest answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
New York's alright if you're homosexual...
You must have a lot of experience with them to know this kind of fact of NY, I suppose...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I would love NY if I lived in LA.

Why?, you ask.

BECAUSE IT WOULD BE 3,000 MILES AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The whole southern California basin makes up about 9million... that's a huge The percentages that poster listed off is way off....

But whatever...

I think a lot of LA people think that NYC'er are arrogant and that they think the NYC is the center of the universe... probably much like we think about LA... LOL....
LOL ok thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
It's flat, except vertically.
Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I love to visit just not to live.
Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I've loved NYC each time I've visited. It was exciting and interesting. Its the greatest city in the USA.

But I wouldn't want to live there. Too expensive and hectic. LA (at least my corner of LA) is just much more chill.

And we get a lot of New Yorkers that have moved to LA. They're unkind and money-motivated people, at least the ones I've met. And they are terribly aggressive drivers.
Finally a real answer. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebil View Post
LA people should go to New York City on December 30th, the day before New Years Eve. :O
It is very crowded... like you just walk for a few minutes, and already you have to go home or you'll go nuts.

I think LA is more spacious (definitely, because New York houses 8.3 million people) but remains to be city like.

I thought I'd like NYC but when I went, it persuaded me to not move there. I also repaired a computer for a New York State Police Officer (she was there for 9-11) and she basically told me not to move there unless I'm really prepared.
I go there to visit my Mom's Co-Worker's sister, who lives there with her husband and I like visiting, but I don't know if I would like living there. I like a yard, a city that isn't too crowded to walk in, and would enjoy parks. In NYC, you don't have that, only central park (which is also a yard, because of the one area in Central Park).

There is a HUGE difference.

And people always say "Move to NYC if you want cheaper housing than LA." - which is completely false. Someone posted a thread about beach parking being $17.50. lol. In Philadelphia, that is parking for the first hour... I was staying in Philly for a few hours and if I had not parked on the street, parking would have been $50 for about 2 and a half hours.
Actually there are yards in NYC as NYC is comprised of the 5 boroughs. So yes there are houses with yards . Also if you live in Staten Island, it is more spacious. Staten Island is suburbish doesn't even look like if it's part of NYC. It is not crowded neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 12:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
just talking to younger friends (under-30), I would say the perception of NYC has changed dramatically in the past 10 yrs. When i was in college & just starting out in my career, Manhattan projected this serious Wall-St.-centered image, filled with Type-A Big Swinging D's who were solely concerned about climbing the IB ladder. You got the feeling that they were always on the clock; even after hours their social life seemed to be more about networking than having fun. But with the whole explosion of indie Hipster culture (thank you Williamsburg ugh) and the wellspring of social networking/social media startups like Tumblr, Foursquare, Kickstarter, the perception of NYC has changed for the better. It's now seen as a place where young creative entrepreneurs can not only carve out a living, but thrive successfully. You no longer have to aspire to be a corporate litigator or VP of a bank to command respect. It's really a breathe of fresh air.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:59 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
It's flat, except vertically.
For most of NYC proper, true. There may be a few very small rolling hills in Central Park, but nothing most Californians would consider elevation. There are also a few hills in Brooklyn and Queens.

I believe the Catskills are less than two hours or so away though and the Adirondack Mountains are in upstate New York for weekend trips, too. For that matter, a New Yorker could easily visit the Poconos in northeast Pennsylvania too.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-12-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 03:04 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,792 times
As an LA guy i always reckoned NYC was super crowded, lots of tall building, clubs, lively place, and everyone living in tiny apartments and working their azzes off, super career oriented folks. The people? i figured they say "yo" a lot and are basically like cussing and new jersey shore types. For example, if you listen to howard stern, basically everyone is Ronnie.

When i got there i realized its different than what i expected, it's crowded but not as bad as i thought, people are pretty normal and i didnt see too much difference from LA people. They weren't rude or pushy, but maybe im used to urban style of communication, no chit chat. Central park was way bigger and nicer than i thought it would be. I think most of the stereotypes come from people living in small towns.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 PM

245 posts, read 712,580 times
I've never visited New York, but I would love to one day. Never had the chance to mingle with New York people in their own city. There's probably a variety of people just like in LA.

I do have 3 separate groups of NY friends that once out of their city, criticizes the other cities they're visiting. They keep saying how bad LA's traffic is, the lack of public transportation, not enough good food/restaurant, etc… I guess some of what they're saying is true, but I hardly hear positives of LA from them whenever they visit. What should I do? Get better NY friends that can represent NYC better? lol

Old 07-13-2014, 11:12 PM

108 posts, read 110,851 times
People in NY move too fast, are too agitated, restless, in a hurry all the time, work-obsessed, etc. Beautiful city though.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Uh-oh. Here we go
Never got there.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:21 AM

84 posts, read 110,283 times
L A county just hit the 10 million people population mark in early 2014 ( like the day I moved here ( I WIN I WIN)). O C has 3 million. L A metro has 18.2 million people in an area of 34,000 sq miles
CA has 38.3 million people & an area of 164,000 sq miles

Old 07-14-2014, 02:52 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcimos View Post
L A county just hit the 10 million people population mark in early 2014 ( like the day I moved here ( I WIN I WIN)). O C has 3 million. L A metro has 18.2 million people in an area of 34,000 sq miles
CA has 38.3 million people & an area of 164,000 sq miles
If we included illegals, the numbers would be much higher.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:22 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Hey Papi, I love NYC but don't want to live there.
Basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The whole southern California basin makes up about 9million... that's a huge The percentages that poster listed off is way off....
LA city ≠ SoCal basin ≠ California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles