Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fullerton vs. Pasadena
Fullerton 3 15.79%
Pasadena 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 PM

106 posts, read 245,351 times

Advertisements

Regarding: crime/safety, cultural aspect, schools, weather.
Especially around downtowns, since these two cities have almost the same population, nice downtowns and cultural atmosphere.

I know Pasadena is closer to LA and has a bigger downtown, but disregarding the fact that there's a major size difference, which city would be the winner. Please leave your comments, thoughts or any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
fullerton is nice, but has more of a small, college town feel. pasadena feels quite urban and tied into LA. Fullerton also some exceptional public school, which i've heard can't be found in pasadena. i could live in either and enjoy visiting both, but they are far enough apart that i can't imagine a situation where you would want to choose between the two. if you work in LA, pasadena is the obvious option. if you work in OC, fullerton is the way to.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:49 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
Regarding: crime/safety, cultural aspect, schools, weather.
Especially around downtowns, since these two cities have almost the same population, nice downtowns and cultural atmosphere.

I know Pasadena is closer to LA and has a bigger downtown, but disregarding the fact that there's a major size difference, which city would be the winner. Please leave your comments, thoughts or any information.
Crime: Overall they will be somewhat similar, but I think Pasadena has a higher variance of safety between neighborhoods.
Cultural: Pasadena by far
Schools: Fullerton by far
Weather: Equal

Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
Pasadena all the way. But I'm biased.

Aint no Rose Parade, Rose Bowl, or King Taco in Fullerton.

Fullerton beats homeless people to death, then dismisses the charges against the officers:
Death of Kelly Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Pasadena for me.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM

23,529 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Pasadena has much more amenities and nightlife.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,341 times
I'd much rather be in Pasadena. It's a very interesting city because it has a good downtown shopping district and then has a lot of rolling green hills actually. Pretty close to downtown considering.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
Pasadena for sure.

Like said in the above posts, Pasadena in itself has a lot to offer. It's next to Los Angeles and is surrounded by other small cities with a lot to offer as well (Arcadia, Glendale, Burbank, Alhambra, San Gabriel, etc).

Not to mention Pasadena has a fantastic public transit system (Metro Rail, ARTS buses, Metro buses, Foothill buses). Ride the Metro Rail to Downtown LA, Little Tokyo, Koreatown, Staples Center, USC, Culver City, Long Beach, etc. Nothing can beat that. It's awesome to know you don't HAVE to drive every time you want to go out for an adventure.

Fullerton is probably one of the more interesting cities in OC, but it's still very sleepy... and there's really nowhere else to go nearby other than to drive to Anaheim to watch sports. Meh.

Last edited by genjy; 08-01-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Pasadena for sure.

Like said in the above posts, Pasadena in itself has a lot to offer. It's next to Los Angeles and is surrounded by other small cities with a lot to offer as well (Arcadia, Glendale, Burbank, Alhambra, San Gabriel, etc).

Not to mention Pasadena has a fantastic public transit system (Metro Rail, ARTS buses, Metro buses, Foothill buses). Ride the Metro Rail to Downtown LA, Little Tokyo, Koreatown, Staples Center, USC, Culver City, Long Beach, etc. Nothing can beat that. It's awesome to know you don't HAVE to drive every time you want to go out for an adventure.

Fullerton is probably the more interesting city in OC, but it's still very suburban and sleepy... and there's really nowhere else to go nearby other than to drive to Anaheim to watch sports. Meh.
Yep, we pretty much never drive around town in Pasadena unless we are going to the east (Lamanda Park, Washington Blvd / North Lake District). Never drive into DTLA, a trip I usually make once a week on the Gold Line to see my wife who works downtown.

My in-laws were really impressed with the number of people waiting for buses all over the city. Like you said having regional (Metro), sub-regional (Foothill) and municipal (ARTS) transit gives Pasadena a great saturation of transit.

Pasadena is a sort of first-ring suburb of Los Angeles (though like most first-ring suburbs in LA, is much more urban than what is typical in the rest of the country) and part of the "solar system" of Los Angeles, while Fullerton is outside or at the very edge. In some ways Pasadena and environs do feel like an extension of the city, similar to Glendale and Burbank.

As most said, if you work in OC live in Fullerton, if you work in LA live in Pasadena.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 PM

401 posts, read 767,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier2 View Post
natural beauty within spitting distance - Fullerton.
Pasadena has the San Gabriel mountains... there's a ton of hiking, biking, camping in there. You can hike 15 minutes and feel like you're a universe away from millions of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles