Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:51 PM

11 posts, read 41,463 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the help of this board I have pretty much decided on Pasadena. I found a rental property page that looks good. Barbera Management, Inc. Apartments (broken link)
have any of you had dealings with this company and are they reputable? Do the prices they quote match what you know of rental prices in Pasadena? Also, what is your advice on renting before seeing the place? I'm coming from Tennessee and would sorta like to have a place before I get there. Thanks again for all the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 04:01 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland123 View Post
Thanks to the help of this board I have pretty much decided on Pasadena. I found a rental property page that looks good. Barbera Management, Inc. Apartments (broken link)
have any of you had dealings with this company and are they reputable? Do the prices they quote match what you know of rental prices in Pasadena? Also, what is your advice on renting before seeing the place? I'm coming from Tennessee and would sorta like to have a place before I get there. Thanks again for all the advice.
I know Pasadena intimately. My sister is picking up the keys to her new house there in the morning (I found it for her). I miss living there, it was my favorite place out of all I've lived in the world.

These rents seem ok, I don't know this management company personally. I don't suggest renting any place sight unseen...unless you're really, really not picky. There are so many non-negotiables that come into play. That said, good apartments go quick this time of year in Pasadena. Quick rule: stay south of the freeway unless it's in Bungalow Heaven.

You're making a very wise choice.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:59 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Quote:
Also, what is your advice on renting before seeing the place? I'm coming from Tennessee and would sorta like to have a place before I get there.
That could be a BIG mistake.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I know Pasadena intimately. My sister is picking up the keys to her new house there in the morning (I found it for her). I miss living there, it was my favorite place out of all I've lived in the world.
I agree that Pasadena (some parts of it) is absolutely gorgeous. It's one of my favorite towns in Southern CA, and I'm picky about scenery. It's lovely, very neighborhood-ey, lots of trees, a huge park running through it and lots of shopping if you're into shopping.

I do agree, though, that you should never...ever...EVER (did I mention "ever"?) buy or rent a place without actually seeing it. Please check the place and area out before relocating!

I too am from the east and it's a huge culture shock as it is...you want to know the feel of the place before just coming out...please check it out first. PM me if you want.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 PM

488 posts, read 819,268 times
Could someone please tell me what areas of Pasadena are preferable and what areas should be avoided? I've been told that the western parts of the city south of Colorado and west of Lake are good, but are there other areas that I should also consider?

I'll be looking for an apartment under $1,600 or so. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:02 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
To avoid: the northwest quadrant, and along Colorado east of Sierra Madre.

Especially nice: pretty much everything south of Colorado.
Also nice: Historic &/or landmark districts such as Bungalow Heaven and certain sections of Orange Grove.

The northeast quadrant is very nice as well, but not so many apartments.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM

114 posts, read 453,758 times
I rented out here, sight unseen, and love the place and the area. Of course, I got lucky. I also had been through alot of the area and did much research. In short, i knew the area, but hadn't seen the actual apartment. However, make sure it's safe and has all the aspects you want in a residence, as well as surrounding area.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:51 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,241 times
Pasadena south of the 210 freeway is a good rental area. The area around Lake is near Cal Tech, a little further east is Pasadena City College. The area around Orange Grove is beautiful. Also most of South Pasadena is a good rental area. If you find a place post the address, I'm sure someone can give you more detail on the immediate area.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:05 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Thumbs down No!!!!!!

Quote:
DO NOT...and I repeat DO NOT rent an apartment here without seeing it no matter where you rent. The best deals you'll get in Pasadena/South Pas is from either driving around the neighborhoods you like taking numbers down or Craigslist. Some like Westside Rentals, I don't.

DO NOT rent a place without seeing it.

There are no bad parts of South Pas. Northwest Pasadena is hit and miss. Don't find something there on your own without an EXPERT local to help you navigate the historic landmark neighborhoods amidst the ghetto. Southwest and Northeast are nice. Southeast east of Allen isn't terribly pretty. Old Pas is sensational if you like a great walkable urban village with bustle and lots to do.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:16 PM

488 posts, read 819,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
To avoid: the northwest quadrant, and along Colorado east of Sierra Madre.

Especially nice: pretty much everything south of Colorado.
Also nice: Historic &/or landmark districts such as Bungalow Heaven and certain sections of Orange Grove.

The northeast quadrant is very nice as well, but not so many apartments.
Thanks! I'll be sure to check out Bungalow Heaven and the NE Quadrant, as I'm not familiar with those areas. By NE quadrant, am I right in assuming it would be anything east of Lake and north of Colorado (extending north of the 210 as well)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles