Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,256,718 times

Advertisements

what company would you guys recommend for cable/internet?

also, electricity/gas, how much am i looking to spend monthly? do they charge for WATER? here in NYC, the landlord is required to provide heat and water for free.

and what about auto insurance? (i have a good record)

Last edited by YoungTraveler2011; 04-18-2013 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,026,688 times
Time Warner Cable has almost a monopoly on the apartments around here. Other than their DVR's they're not bad though and offer good pricing for the first year. If FIOS is an option than I'd go that route. I could never be bothered to setup a satellite dish in an apartment situation.

Electric on a 1BR will be around $30-35 low end and up to about $80 if you live east of the 405 and need A/C in the summer. If the apartment uses gas for heat it will be as low as $15 in the summer and up to $40-50 in the winter. Water just depends on the particular apartment. I've paid for it in the past but my current apartment includes it in the rent. My brother pays like $40-50 per month for water at his place in Hollywood.

I use Mercury for auto insurance and my rate has always been in the $850-1000 per year range over three different cars. You'll get a discount if you use them for renter's insurance as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,794,170 times
Verizon FIOS is the best by far if it is available. I have had Verizon FIOS for 6 years for Internet, TV, landline Phone, and Cell.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,338,515 times
Absolutely Verizon FIOS. They use fiber optic lines, so never the crowding issues that cable and DSL has. Their TV networks run much more smooth, and they are able to offer very reasonable bundle packages. Unfortunately FIOS is not available in many areas.

So generally you get Time Warner Cable or AT&T Uverse. I've consistently had Time Warner Cable... to their credit they are better than they were even 2 years ago, but are just barely acceptable. Internet along for one person is usually around 40/month, TV can be another 50-100 a month, depending how many channels you want.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,662,488 times
What cable company options you have will depend on where you live. Time Warner is the big one, but in some cities like Glendale, it is Charter. ATT Uverse and Verizon Fios are available in some areas but not all. Utilities will vary - I live in a top floor one bedroom in Atwater Village for a long time and that apt really got hot in the summer (top floor, sun right on the roof). We had central air and I guess the max we ever paid was $125 a month on particularly hot summer (but only for a couple of months - Aug-Sept are the hottest). Spring and early summer ran around $55 a month. In winter we never used the heat at all, so it was more like $40. I live in Burbank now and pay for my water and trash which is added to my rent and runs about $20 a month. Car insurance will depend on how much your car is worth and how much coverage you want (and your record).

Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,478,406 times
We have TWC, and indeed they have a monopoly here. I had Verizon back home, do they serve most of LA?

Old 06-05-2015, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,204 times
Stay away from TWC. My exp has been HORRIBLE.
Having to physically unplug my DVR at least once a week because it stops responded.
Not being able to record shows from another room. You have to go to the room with the 'main dvr'.
Poor connection between the main dvr and the bedroom, even though the two units are only 30-40 feet away.
Poor customer service. I had to make about 8 calls in the first week of having my Units and not once has anybody called (or emailed) me back to see if things were back on the straight and narrow.

I will be cancelling my service after 3 months in favor of Dish. But that is only because ATT is not available (oh I miss my UVerse!!! :''( ).
As stated above, TW seems to have a "Monopoly" on Apts. It is just too bad they don't appreciate the customers they have "strong-armed" into getting. It's like moving into a neighborhood where the gang has you by the throat and does not care!! They are the only Gang in town.
So long TW!!!!

Old 06-05-2015, 02:49 PM

330 posts, read 661,201 times
I'm surprised that verizon FIOS has very good followers here. I moved from Bay area ( 8 years) where I had comcast. The speeds promised were 100/100 MBPS and was getting 130 easily. Price was $35-$40/month.

Verizon in LA is so bad that the actual speed is less than the promised speed and also depends on the router location.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:43 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,794,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizzer25 View Post
I'm surprised that verizon FIOS has very good followers here. I moved from Bay area ( 8 years) where I had comcast. The speeds promised were 100/100 MBPS and was getting 130 easily. Price was $35-$40/month.

Verizon in LA is so bad that the actual speed is less than the promised speed and also depends on the router location.
The router location should only affect the wifi. Are you connecting to your router via wifi? If you are then you can't compare the 2 locations unless it is the same router, same distance from the router, how many walls it goes through etc.

I connect my laptop with wifi. If I am in the same room as the router then my connection speed is faster than Verizon's stated speed. If I use my laptop in my bedroom then the speed drops by 50% which is normal.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:19 PM

190 posts, read 215,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_hate_TWC View Post
Stay away from TWC. My exp has been HORRIBLE.
Having to physically unplug my DVR at least once a week because it stops responded.
Not being able to record shows from another room. You have to go to the room with the 'main dvr'.
Poor connection between the main dvr and the bedroom, even though the two units are only 30-40 feet away.
Poor customer service. I had to make about 8 calls in the first week of having my Units and not once has anybody called (or emailed) me back to see if things were back on the straight and narrow.

I will be cancelling my service after 3 months in favor of Dish. But that is only because ATT is not available (oh I miss my UVerse!!! :''( ).
As stated above, TW seems to have a "Monopoly" on Apts. It is just too bad they don't appreciate the customers they have "strong-armed" into getting. It's like moving into a neighborhood where the gang has you by the throat and does not care!! They are the only Gang in town.
So long TW!!!!
TWC is simply terrible. I have been a user of AT&T u-verse for the past year and it's so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles