Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:18 PM

13 posts, read 96,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Lol @ texas.

I'd rather move back to Michigan than move to Texas.

Not only are properties there cheaper, but the weather is better too.

LOL
thanks for mentioning that.

it seems like the most vehement defenders of california are actually transplants from sad, podunk places such as nu joisey, michigan, ohio, kansas, etc.

that's somewhat understandable, people who didn't grow up in global cities tend to be simple minded and easily impressed.

btw, texas weather is extremely varied. the climate in the metroplex is damn cold, i was out in dallas a couple years ago and it was snowing on christmas day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:44 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton Santigo View Post

it seems like the most vehement defenders of california are actually transplants from sad, podunk places such as nu joisey, michigan, ohio, kansas, etc.
I can see your claim to being a real globetrotter is genuine - I lived in NJ for 38 years and never, one single time, heard anyone who was actually from NJ call it "Joisey." Actually, that's a misrepresentation of a Brooklyn accent. (By the way, Brooklyn is in New York. Just a heads-up as I am no longer sure at all what the upper limits of your knowledge may be, having read a number of your posts now.)

Also, just a helpful hint: capitalization (okay, so, grammar of any semi-readable description) is your friend.

What the hell does "podunk" mean? I guess I could Google it...You are a real class act, Cliff.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
Okay, I Googled it. Insignificant town, etc...Yeah, that sure describes the greater NYC-and suburbs area, LOL.

And...apparently several entire states. Just, you know, in a blanket sort of way. Yeah folks. The whooole entire state...

Cliff. Have you ever been outside your house? People partying it up in L.A. are jealous of people going out line dancing with a sixer of Pabst in hand because hell, it sher beats what-all is on cable tonight, Miami is superior to L.A. because L.A. has issues with drugs, apparenty a shocker and quite repellant to the greater Miami area, 19 miles from Manhattan equals podunk...honey...you really, really need to step out of your mother's basement once in a while. Don't worry, the light will only hurt your eyes for a minute.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-18-2014 at 11:56 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,060,648 times
I'm just going to pop my head in here real quick to write this - as someone from "Podunk" Michigan (Ann Arbor to be specific), who has lived in Washington DC, and then NYC for about five years, and regularly travels to England, France, Ireland, and spent 3 months in Beijing, China for Univ of Michigan undergrad research internship, I can attest that there are many worldly and educated people in Michigan who rightfully praise California for sensible reasons. I am in the planning stages of moving to California within the next 18 months or sooner. Of all the places I have traveled and vacationed in, I have visited California the most - as far as San Francisco, and as South to San Diego, but it's LA and specifically the Venice/Santa Monica area that I love the most. My most recent visit was in June where I confirmed that I am going to relocate there as soon as I get my financial ducks in order.

I know it's fun taking low blow pot shots at other states, but each state in our country has wonderful benefits, and I find it tacky and low-class for anyone, for any reason, to generalize a state's populace and that state's resources. Michigan has it's problems - a lot of problems, and as a Michigander I can ***** all day about my state, but I sure as heck have seen a LOT of cars with license plates from primarily these states: California, Texas, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Florida and Maryland. Why are they here? For job/college opportunities, moving back home? I dunno, but I think it just represents that a lot of people from everywhere is trying to find the best place to live even if it's temporary.

I have known friends here in Michigan who lived in California for at least a couple of years, and they couldn't deal with the high density of people, traffic, lack of change in seasons, no snow (WTF?), and having to drive everywhere. For me, because I have visited California at least a dozen times since 1997, it's pretty obvious that I enjoy visiting that great state, and I have decided to relocate there. The polar vortex bs of last winter ruined me and I cannot deal with another winter here.

So Clifton Santiago, whatever your true reasons are for dissing California, whatever man, peace be with you wherever you live. California has it's problems, a LOT of problems, but there's also a LOT of fantastic things about it, especially its opportunities for people who are free spirits and in need of a different lifestyle and climate change.

Thanks JerZ for the laughs and helping me to confirm my reasons for wanting to move to California.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM

13 posts, read 96,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I'm just going to pop my head in here real quick to write this - as someone from "Podunk" Michigan (Ann Arbor to be specific), who has lived in Washington DC, and then NYC for about five years, and regularly travels to England, France, Ireland, and spent 3 months in Beijing, China for Univ of Michigan undergrad research internship, I can attest that there are many worldly and educated people in Michigan who rightfully praise California for sensible reasons. I am in the planning stages of moving to California within the next 18 months or sooner. Of all the places I have traveled and vacationed in, I have visited California the most - as far as San Francisco, and as South to San Diego, but it's LA and specifically the Venice/Santa Monica area that I love the most. My most recent visit was in June where I confirmed that I am going to relocate there as soon as I get my financial ducks in order.

I know it's fun taking low blow pot shots at other states, but each state in our country has wonderful benefits, and I find it tacky and low-class for anyone, for any reason, to generalize a state's populace and that state's resources. Michigan has it's problems - a lot of problems, and as a Michigander I can ***** all day about my state, but I sure as heck have seen a LOT of cars with license plates from primarily these states: California, Texas, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Florida and Maryland. Why are they here? For job/college opportunities, moving back home? I dunno, but I think it just represents that a lot of people from everywhere is trying to find the best place to live even if it's temporary.

I have known friends here in Michigan who lived in California for at least a couple of years, and they couldn't deal with the high density of people, traffic, lack of change in seasons, no snow (WTF?), and having to drive everywhere. For me, because I have visited California at least a dozen times since 1997, it's pretty obvious that I enjoy visiting that great state, and I have decided to relocate there. The polar vortex bs of last winter ruined me and I cannot deal with another winter here.

So Clifton Santiago, whatever your true reasons are for dissing California, whatever man, peace be with you wherever you live. California has it's problems, a LOT of problems, but there's also a LOT of fantastic things about it, especially its opportunities for people who are free spirits and in need of a different lifestyle and climate change.

Thanks JerZ for the laughs and helping me to confirm my reasons for wanting to move to California.
tl;dr

vacationing in a place is different than living there day-to-day. best of luck with your move.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,527,358 times
I feel accross the board there is a lot more hate out there for Florida than LA. And then you ask that person to explain that logic further, and they will do nothing but stutter about lack of culture and rednecks.

A lot of hate for NJ as well but as someone who grew up there, a lot of it is well-deserved.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:41 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,188,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I feel accross the board there is a lot more hate out there for Florida than LA. And then you ask that person to explain that logic further, and they will do nothing but stutter about lack of culture and rednecks.

A lot of hate for NJ as well but as someone who grew up there, a lot of it is well-deserved.
@_FloridaMan

Need I say more?

Old 09-20-2014, 04:55 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,810,145 times
I understand why people hate L.A. I personally don't hate it. In fact, I wouldn't have moved to SoCal if I hated it.

I don't expect it to be "friendly" when the greater metropolis (LA County, Ventura County, OC, IE) has more people than the Netherlands! That said, the region is generally friendlier than can be expected for such a large, dense population--and considering how dirty the region can be in certain areas. It's also not as friendly as, say, Tennessee or Texas, but again, that's to be expected.

That said, "L.A." is often seen as a huge mass and not just the city proper. Even the City of L.A. proper almost looks gerrymandered (for a lack of better terms) on a map. It makes seemingly no sense when north Orange County has population density comparable with much of the City of L.A. proper, yet I can find the low-density City of Industry within a few short miles of DTLA and a much more densely-populated central Riverside way out in the IE. "L.A." is rather esoteric, hard to explain, and is something of a checkerboard of complexities--this could explain why so many people indeed hate "L.A." It's also a much better place in which to live than to just visit; while there is a plethora of almost anything a visitor could imagine, the region isn't that visitor-friendly.

And in closing, back to the friendly comment: I wish we could allow the Westwood/UCLA/Brentwood/Santa Monica and Newport Beach areas to just become their own snob colonies. They deserve it. But I do find people out in areas like Ventura County and the Santa Clarita Valley to be more relaxed and friendly. I even meet friendly folks when I go to DTLA, maybe because it hasn't been entirely run over with hipsters and the $80k-wannabe-millionaire/BMW/yuppie crowd it. So not all of "L.A." is hatable, IMO. Now there is a lot of superficiality in terms of personalities, people "meaning what they say," and trying to "keep up with the Joneses," but that's for another time...

P.S.: if you want to see snob-, cold-, and unfriendly-fest, go to that 47 square miles of smug cloud called San Francisco. Then get back with me.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 09-20-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 01:26 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,810,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnus butta View Post
los angles is phony though, it's easy to make 482,029 "friends" who are completely unreliable/flakey.

i agree that texas/sf aren't as "friendly" (read: fake) as los angeles. at least you know where you stand with everyone.

how's that a bad thing?

also, what's wrong with being a "snob"? do you think a gainfully employed person has the time of day to chit chat with every corner bum he comes across?

the same logic can be applied towards yuppies. they work long hours, are extremely focused/driven/etc. and trying to accomplish whatever goals they have in mind. they don't have time for nonsense.

where are these non-judgemental, egoless saints who are loving and accepting of the whole planet? aren't you a "snob" for discriminating against those more successful than yourself?

pot, meet kettle.
Just...why would I envy someone more successful (by whatever measure) than myself when I'm trying to achieve success in my life, as I define it?

"Snob" is indicative of attitude displayed toward something or someone that is viewed as beneath the person displaying that attitude. My interpretation, anyway.

I also indicated that Texans were friendlier and San Franciscans weren't.

Quite frankly, your response was an unintelligent one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles