Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:31 PM

8 posts, read 29,279 times

Advertisements

I was in LA for 1 week and I must say I really enjoyed my stay. I did the usual touristy things such as going to Hollywood, Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive, etc. The thing that I liked more than anything was the fact that people seem more laid back and accepting of each other. Here in NYC we have a lot of multi-racial couples but from what I saw in LA there is no comparison. I saw so many black males with whites, Hispanics and some Asians and as a black man I felt like this is where I want to live since it seems like no one makes an issue out of it. Is this correct in my observation that no one really cares if a black man dates outside his race in LA? I always heard that Mexicans hate blacks but I saw many Latinas with black men during my week in LA so I am not sure if that is true. Thanks and I hope to be back again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 01:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,054,172 times
In California, race/ethnicity takes a back seat (way back, IMO) to income level. You can date anyone you want, nobody cares. But they may judge you by the car you drive.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:22 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,493,331 times
Are you really from NYC? A lot of people like to say they're from New York city, but are actually from New Jersey, or Connecticut or even Pennsylvania

Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,676,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuv1 View Post
I always heard that Mexicans hate blacks but I saw many Latinas with black men during my week in LA so I am not sure if that is true.
In all the decades I've lived here, I've seen not more than half a dozen Latinas with Black men.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:38 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,425,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Are you really from NYC? A lot of people like to say they're from New York city, but are actually from New Jersey, or Connecticut or even Pennsylvania
Who the hell cares? Is it supposed to be a big deal if he's from there? If he confirms he's from NYC will you throw rose petals at his feet?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:46 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In all the decades I've lived here, I've seen not more than half a dozen Latinas with Black men.
Ha! Tell that to all my friends and their Mexican girlfriends/wife's. I swear, people love hyperbole on these forums. My girlfriend is black and Hispanic. Litteraly never had a problem dating anybody outside my race in this city.

Last edited by jamills21; 09-19-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 02:01 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,789,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
In California, race/ethnicity takes a back seat (way back, IMO) to income level. You can date anyone you want, nobody cares. But they may judge you by the car you drive.
ding ding!

Old 09-19-2014, 02:08 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Ha! Tell that to all my friends and their Mexican girlfriends/wife's. I swear, people love hyperbole on these forums. My girlfriend is black and Hispanic. Litteraly never had a problem dating anybody outside my race in this city.
I think LA is one of those cities that's so big and diverse, that I don't think that any one person can be familiar with all of the different communities and cultures. One person's experience may lead them to believe in a certain "truth about LA" which will complete contradict what someone else, growing up in another area and another culture, thinks is "the truth".

For example, considering the areas that the OP visited (Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive, etc.), I would hesitate to use that experience and generalize it over the entire LA area.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 29,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Since I am not from there all I can tell you from what I saw there were many Latinas with black men and some even had what my friend calls Blaxican babies lol. I have a friend who lives in Inglewood and I saw many of these pairings in that city and to my surprise quite a few blond white girls living there with their black boyfriends/husbands. I noticed that a lot of black women did not seem very happy at seeing these couples. It is always black girls who have a problem with us black males dating non-black women. I do not see anyone having a problem with white men that have a thing for Asian women. We are all free to have preferences.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:15 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I think LA is one of those cities that's so big and diverse, that I don't think that any one person can be familiar with all of the different communities and cultures. One person's experience may lead them to believe in a certain "truth about LA" which will complete contradict what someone else, growing up in another area and another culture, thinks is "the truth".

For example, considering the areas that the OP visited (Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive, etc.), I would hesitate to use that experience and generalize it over the entire LA area.
Agreed... From my experience guys and girls will date anybody who is good looking. Although my friends growing up we're pretty diverse, all of us dated who we thought the cutest girls were. I'm not going to act like I was a stud or anything, but I dated black,white, Latinas, Persians, Armenians, Asians, Indians... Growing up. I just don't think people care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles