Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,371 times

Advertisements

My friend and I have decided to move to Los Angeles. We have our eye on a few places, specifically one for $1600 a month, and we would split everything in half. She is taking her car, but I'm leaving mine (because I honestly don't think it would make the trip out there). We both plan to get 2 jobs (and set up interviews for places before we move out there in March). And we aren't getting cable. I would just like to know the approximate cost of things out there. I know there's state tax, but don't know how much it takes off.
We won't be spending any money on clothes, but we might go out a few times a month. I'm 18 and she's 21 so there's going to be some nights we go out, but it won't be regular.
Anything helps and everything is appreciated!
(We both also currently have 2 jobs saving up for this, and I'm working on getting a third).
Sorry if this is all over the place and unorganized and ???? I would just like to price things and get them worked out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 07:13 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Your question is pretty broad.

First off, have you ever visited Los Angeles?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Not yet, but we are going up in a weekend in November to look at some places and scout out downtown to make sure this is where we want to be.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:32 PM

Yeah, you definitely need to visit before deciding to move in.

To put it short, things are expensive here.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:04 PM

I understand that. We both do. I wanted to know an approximate estimate of how much it would be a month, just including groceries, cell phone and like water, electricity, heat etc.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:33 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
On that housing budget, you'd get a lot more for your money in Long Beach vs. most of LA--maybe even a place within a block or two from the beach.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:07 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteoleander View Post
My friend and I have decided to move to Los Angeles. We have our eye on a few places, specifically one for $1600 a month, and we would split everything in half. She is taking her car, but I'm leaving mine (because I honestly don't think it would make the trip out there). We both plan to get 2 jobs (and set up interviews for places before we move out there in March). And we aren't getting cable. I would just like to know the approximate cost of things out there. I know there's state tax, but don't know how much it takes off.
We won't be spending any money on clothes, but we might go out a few times a month. I'm 18 and she's 21 so there's going to be some nights we go out, but it won't be regular.
Anything helps and everything is appreciated!
(We both also currently have 2 jobs saving up for this, and I'm working on getting a third).
Sorry if this is all over the place and unorganized and ???? I would just like to price things and get them worked out. Thanks!

It's hard to say what your costs will be because that depends where you live and work. Obviously if you live in walking distance or biking distance to work as opposed to an hour in traffic everyday that is going to save you a lot of money.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:23 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
How much food costs depends largely on what you buy. You can live on ramen noodles, or not. There are a lot of variables. And since you've never even been here, you're way ahead of yourself. LA is huge - very spread out. You don't have a job and your only 18. LA is a very competitive place. If I were you I'd rent something cheap on a short term and get the feel of the area. Unless one of you have a very marketable skill, you aren't going to make much money. Mostly you'll be working just to pay the rent. Since you're so young, you obviously don't have college degrees or much experience. Do you have a plan for after you get here? Something beyond both of you working two minimum wage jobs, I mean? What's your long term goal? How much do you even know about LA? I mean, the real LA, not what you see on TV. I don't mean to sound harsh but you sound very naive.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:54 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
From another thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/36627596-post17.html

Old 09-27-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteoleander View Post
I understand that. We both do. I wanted to know an approximate estimate of how much it would be a month, just including groceries, cell phone and like water, electricity, heat etc.
That would depend on where in LA County you'll be living. Where do you live now? We could compare both places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles