Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 01:36 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

When I told some family members about crime in my area and the long commute they made it seem like I was kind of crazy to "live so far" ,

I bought something where I could afford, now I don't work at the same place which was in Brentwood so commute there isn't an issue anymore.

Also I hear a lot of people say "People want to live far so they can own a big McMansion" , I don't think that's really accurate.. it's just that they are trying to find something affordable. These $1800+ one bedroom west la apartments are NOT affordable,especially with a family.

Maybe I could of rented an old , tiny studio in West L.A kind of close to work for the same I paid for a 1700sq foot in the "hood"..but the only thing that would of gone up in price would of been the rent of the apartment.

Lot's of people missed out on several hundred thousand in possible equity by continuing to rent when prices were cheap.

It takes a lot of time for most people to save up money like that.

It is a sacrifice to commute, but one that people are hoping will pay off either economically or in terms of quality of life for them and their families.

There are some places where the city center is cheaper than the 'suburbs' but L.A isn't one of those places.

In a city like Pittsburgh, there are places right in the heart of everything for very little money, but more people want to live in the suburubs. This is changing now though it seems.

This is why we have the term "inner city" being viewed as negative.

This is changing as there is a clear trend of people wanting to move back to the "the city" near downtown areas and cities are starting to redevelop and improve their downtown areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:33 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
IMO unless they own it and its a high end apartment in Manhattan or the entire building in El A, only a loser lives in an apartment their whole life. Enough said.
Wow, only a loser would make a statement such as this.^^^

Los Angeles has the highest percentage (over 50%) of renters in the nation (according to Harvard's Joint Center for the Study of Housing).
Los Angeles Has The Highest Percentage Of Renters In The US - State O' the Market - Curbed LA

Old 11-03-2014, 07:36 PM

416 posts, read 560,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
moral of the story: stop living so far from where u work. if everyone lived close to where they work, the traffic wouldnt be as terrible.
OMG, the stupid, it burns.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 PM

96 posts, read 170,494 times
While everyone complains about traffic (rightfully so), ultimately happiness is found or lost due to many other choices and decisions. You can have a "wife you hate" and kids that "drain your money" and live a block away from work. I know plenty of people who are very happy that commute an hour each way. If someone is miserable it's likely due to other issues besides the length of their commute.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:46 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
My wife works in DTLA - I love to visit that neighborhood, but it's not somewhere I really want to live and be 24/7. Since I work from home, I would always be in that super-urban environment, which might be a bit too much - especially with a kid.

Before that, we had the exact opposite problem - wife worked out in Calabasas. Way too suburban for us, so we lived in Hollywood, a perfect place for a young married couple. Sure by staying in the exurbs my wife would be home from work in 15 minutes, but then every weekend we would have to drive 30 minutes just to get dinner somewhere relatively interesting like Sherman Oaks. No thanks.

I have a friend that lives in Pasadena and works on the Westside. His job used to be in Central LA, so the commute from Pas was much more reasonable. Company moves, is he really supposed to move all the way across the city (not to mention pay a good 1.5x or more in rent). On top of all that, his wife works on the Eastside and has a 5 minute commute.

I agree in general with the OP, but he/she should understand it's not always that easy.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:26 PM

87 posts, read 133,297 times
no man, he's probably mad bc your original post was naive and blind to the plight of a lot of people living all over LA county and you wrote it in a condescending way.

they would all absolutely live close to where they work but the fact is most cannot afford to do so, or the area they can afford right by work is dangerous and they dont want to live there.

I feel horrible for the people I see on the other side of the freeway as they slug through traffic. I also have an inverse commute and sail through traffic, but I used to work with a lot of people who did live out way far and they go through hell every morning to get to work.

It all comes down to housing prices, people get lured out to outlying areas to buy a house with a decent price and safe neighborhoods, sadly many of the outlying new communities then later become somewhat dangerous also and then they're stuck with their mortgage out in a place that used to be nice.

So it's not something I think you should chastise people for, they would if they could, and it sucks for alot of people, and it's because housing is way too expensive in LA.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:47 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
no man, he's probably mad bc your original post was naive and blind to the plight of a lot of people living all over LA county and you wrote it in a condescending way.

they would all absolutely live close to where they work but the fact is most cannot afford to do so, or the area they can afford right by work is dangerous and they dont want to live there.

I feel horrible for the people I see on the other side of the freeway as they slug through traffic. I also have an inverse commute and sail through traffic, but I used to work with a lot of people who did live out way far and they go through hell every morning to get to work.

It all comes down to housing prices, people get lured out to outlying areas to buy a house with a decent price and safe neighborhoods, sadly many of the outlying new communities then later become somewhat dangerous also and then they're stuck with their mortgage out in a place that used to be nice.

So it's not something I think you should chastise people for, they would if they could, and it sucks for alot of people, and it's because housing is way too expensive in LA.
Why dont they get another job closer to where they live or move out of LA?

Old 11-15-2014, 11:34 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Why dont they get another job closer to where they live or move out of LA?
Are you 13 or just ignorant? The job market is lousy and LA's is particularly bad if you want a high paying job. Just "getting another job closer to where you live" is not easy, especially if you live in the 'burbs and need to support a family.
Use your brain and develop a little empathy.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:53 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Are you 13 or just ignorant? The job market is lousy and LA's is particularly bad if you want a high paying job. Just "getting another job closer to where you live" is not easy, especially if you live in the 'burbs and need to support a family.
Use your brain and develop a little empathy.
I think he's 13. Anyone who has moved wouldn't be talking like this. Got a new job 20 miles away? JUST MOVE! Ok, your contract is at a place over yonder? JUST MOVE! Don't worry that it's only a 7 month contract, you can JUST MOVE again! Can't get something full time with benefits where you can work 35 years then retire? JUST MOVE...somewhere magical where everyone gets that.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:41 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times
Quote:
moral of the story: stop living so far from where u work. if everyone lived close to where they work, the traffic wouldnt be as terrible.
Real moral of the story: you haven't got a clue of what you are talking about. First, learn how to write properly. No CAPS LOCK, no sentences that do not start with a capital. Second, really look at their lives, and at the news. We have a recession, so people will take a ny job they can get. It's better being in traffic for two hours than being homeless. People tend to have more than one job in their lifetime, so what do you suggest? Never take a promotion? Or just move all the time? Yeah, that'll make your family happy.

Is your post even intended to be taken serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles