Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which car and apartment combination should I pick
New car, own apartment, reduce savings and live a little 0 0%
New car, shared apartment, keep savings goal 0 0%
Old car, shared apartment, maximum saving, don't live it up 7 31.82%
Old car, own apartment, keep savings goal 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 PM

8 posts, read 10,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You mean 50 miles a day, right?
No, the land-lord of the sublet spot isn't answering, it's 90 miles each way to my parents' place in Orange County.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 AM

105 posts, read 115,833 times
I would stay with Old car, own apartment, keep savings goal.
Since you are still young, start saving early will give you more advantage on compound growth.

I, myself start saving 20+% of my gross income since I started working, and I see the advantage of the growth.
Once your principle grow to a decent number you can reduce the percentage, then you can start on your apartment and car.

Personally, I try to avoid roommate and get a small studio or 1 bedroom, reason is that 1st you don't know what kinda people you gonna get, 2nd is that if you rent a 2 bedroom, you are paying extra when your roommate move out and that will screw up your financial plan. unless you can find a 2 bedroom that you can afford to purchase and rent the extra room out, that would be a slightly different situation.

I brought my first bimmer in my late 20s and lease the last and current bimmer.
My last bimmer lease was close to $1000/month, It was one of my reachable dream car, but also almost 50% of an apartment down payment.
And remember that is not the only extra thing you are paying for, your registration fee and insurance will go up, your gas bill will go up, since you'll probably have to use premium gas.
Also your maintenance cost will go up, not sure about Audi, at least bimmer has that covered.
Plus, there will be other end of lease fee if you didn't cover that up front.

So good luck =)

Last edited by cal-K; 12-02-2014 at 01:21 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 06:10 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
LIVE IN MOORPARK! You can go to Sherman Jokes on weekends.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:03 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
To the OP, it's interesting that no one has said you should go for the new car. That might be a sign. If you want a gold digger, an Audi probably won't be enough of a status symbol. If you want a real woman with a sensible head on her shoulders, save your money for now.

I also recommend that you live as close to where you'll be working as possible; otherwise you'll be too tired and too broke to enjoy the night life and dating you want! You can always drive to more lively places on the weekends.

My company has been saying we'll move offices for at least the last two years, and it still hasn't happened, so don't hold your breath on your company moving any time soon.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:39 AM

105 posts, read 115,833 times
I just re-read ur OP and SP.
Seems to me a lot of things are what ur expecting to happen.

You expecting to get a 65k job. So I assume u don't have the job now and even with the said job, i won't even consider to get a new car til you pass probation at the very least.

I don't know what profession you are in, but a 30% rise in 2 yrs seems to be a bit dreamy
Also, seems like you are living with ur folks now and expenses will be higher once you live by urself.
You also have to factor in ur social spending. Even if you are not into clubbing.
Happy hours with friends and co-workers, dating, all cost money.
The cheapest date I've been cost around $60, and that is just dinner w/o alcohol!
Even cruising in ur car alone will cost gas.

So until u set foot on a concrete ground. I would suggest you to stay with ur honda and live closer to work alone.
You will have a happier life!!

Old 12-02-2014, 08:17 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
The savings and all that jazz, yes I agree with. Moving closer to Moorpark? No, unless it's right around CSUN because of the young college vibe. I'm in the same boat with you that I can't stand living in the suburbs and so far removed from everything. If you're gonna be in the valley already, don't drop even further to a place like Moorpark. The only acceptable place in the valley for someone with any remote love for urbanity is Sherman Oaks. Definitely the best place to be young in the valley, if you have to be in the valley

Old 12-03-2014, 01:02 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Instead of the big Audi payment, get a bucket and spend the rest on "professionals" ..These girls don't even care if you own a car.

You can probably even find them in Moorpark so you save money on gas.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:07 PM

47 posts, read 37,434 times
OP Audi isn't enough to impress women (or men) in this city anymore you need to go for a Porsche at the minimum, who cares about debt at least you'll be getting some (sarcasm of course)

Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I'd go for something a bit bigger though...maybe the Porsche SUV would do .

Then it can double as housing and you will be "saving" money on rent.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 PM

47 posts, read 37,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'd go for something a bit bigger though...maybe the Porsche SUV would do .

Then it can double as housing and you will be "saving" money on rent.
Actually those Porsche Cayenne's are pretty small inside, I'd say go for a new Range Rover the full size one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles