Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times

Advertisements

You make a good point and I totally agree with you.

I also used to live in L.A Area and I honestly never had a bad experience,and I still continue to visit friends in L.A and I always have a wonderful time.

I love L.A so much that not a single negative comment said about this city will ever change my feelings for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
My favorable opinion of LA is well documented. If YOU already know that YOU like LA and want to live here, I don't know why the negative opinions of others would influence you. If you like chocolate ice cream and others don't, that's not going to stop you from eating it, right?

I joined City Data more than 1.5 years ago and have seen every negative comment and false statement made about LA imaginable on this Web site, but I still moved back here last month. Why? Because I know what LA is like based on my own personal experience. The negative comments of others can be thought provoking and interesting and sometimes amusing and annoying, but ultimately completely irrelevant to me and my own experience. I have a great life here as do many other people. This is the case in every city, big and small. What might be one person's paradise might be another's hell. Some people will be happy with where they live and others won't. Ultimately I think each person is responsible for their own personal happiness and quality of life. Life is what you make of it, wherever you live.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:06 PM

31 posts, read 105,670 times
THE ONLY PLACE BETTER THAN LA, SHOULD BE HAVEN. AFTER THAT I DOUTH . REGARDLESS OF ALL THE NEGATIVE THINGS THEY SAID , THIS'S IT . THANK'S J

Old 02-25-2008, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 4,040 times
Are you on drugs?

What are you inhaling? I must know.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 AM

202 posts, read 872,804 times
Default La

Practical Reasons not to go to LA:

Air Quality, check out EPA websites and American Lung Association. Causes asthma in children. Particles have been scientifically proven to cross the blood brain barrier causing changes in brain chemistry that could be irreversible (irritability, headaches).

Cadavers have been studied and the particle pollution has been shown to have the same effects as smoking on the lungs. These particles are inhaled taken into your blood stream transported to your brain. They lodge themselves in your heart muscle tissue causing elevated blood pressure, faster heart rate, higher stress levels.

Particle and Ozone pollution both cause eye irritation, skin rashes, headaches, and have been linked to cancer in many many studies. These particles are free radicals which damage your skin making you age faster and wrinkle quicker.

There will be no shortage of time for you to kick back in your car behind someones exhaust pipe inhaling the Carbon Monoxide, Dioxide and Ozone and million other particles because you have no choice but sit in traffic.

You will spend on average at the very minimum one hour a day on the road. But thats not it, because they make it into the office buildings unless they have meticulous standards for changing air filters which gets very expensive. Even if they do, the hepa filters do not filter out some of the worst and smallest particles that cross the blood brain barrier and are the most damaging.

Good luck keeping them out of your home if they can't keep them out of the new buildings. I suggest a very expensive air filter, they are about $1000 to really get a good one. Don't ever open your windows because that allows the particles in and if you do, immediately run the air filter afterwards for a few hours.

On the fire days, it gets very bad and it is recommended, to not even go outside.

Maybe you will be lucky and for some odd reason you will not suffer any lasting effects from one of the worst city's in the nation for air pollution.

Oh.....and the heat combined with the air pollution is a real winner!

Last edited by Nick682; 02-26-2008 at 01:42 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 02:45 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
What happened to "positive feedback only?"

Yeah, the air out here is "terrible.":

Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 AM

202 posts, read 872,804 times
Default American Lung Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Rankings - American Lung Association site (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=50752 - broken link)

Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

That's pretty misleading. Sure, it might look like that over a short distance on the northern edge of LA. But try looking toward the basin. From where I am in western OC, if I can see the San Gabriel mountains at all, its a low contrast outline of them through brown haze 90% of the time.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post

Rankings - American Lung Association site (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=50752 - broken link)
As I posted in the other thread, it depends on which area of Los Angeles. The air quality varies from pretty bad to quite good. Los Angeles covers a wide area and many parts are well away from the smoggiest areas.

I will also point out that there are far fewer stage 1 and stage 2 smog alerts compared to 30 years ago. The air quality in L.A. has actually improved.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That's pretty misleading. Sure, it might look like that over a short distance on the northern edge of LA. But try looking toward the basin. From where I am in western OC, if I can see the San Gabriel mountains at all, its a low contrast outline of them through brown haze 90% of the time.
You are probably in an area with more smog.
On the day I thook that photo (and, btw, there are many days when it is that clear), I could easily see all of the mountains surrounding the San Fernando Valley, I could see well into the San Gabriel mountain range (30+ miles) and I could see the buildings of downtown Los Angeles through the Cahuenga Pass (about 25 miles away).
And from the top of Mission Point in Granada Hills, Santa Catalina Island and the ocean are visible. The island is at least 50 miles away.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:56 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Dude, you should just ignore those naysayers and make the move. I think a lot of people moved here to follow a dream that unfortunately didnt turn out right for them.

As a true native, born and bred Los Angeles native, I say pack your bags and come on down. You will never be bored with LA as there is ALWAYS something to do. We have the best looking people here, tremendous opportunities for employment, you can wear shorts and go to the park on Christmas day, we have arts, culture, beach, the best restaraunts, Disneyland, we set the national trends, we have style, some substance, the best weather, we have people from all over the world here, we have Hollywood, great shopping, and one day, I know we'll have a professional football team.

Forget those ssa backwards people who are bitter about LA. They move here with little or no income yet want to live beyond their means and in the most expensive areas (West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Calabasas) then get upset because "its sooo expensive". Or they get upset after moving here from [insert any midwestern town] where they were considered a "10" only to find out after moving here that in LA they are only a "4".

LA is perhaps the best non-tropical Island place in the world to live. Put it this way, even if I win mega millions in the lottery, I'd still have a Sherman Oaks (or maybe Studio City) address.
What DaBeez said. I'm moving to Louisiana to be near my elderly father and help him out, but he's right. L.A. as a town, has great energy and a lot going for it. Stay out of the Hollywood Dream and Materialism quicksand, and you'll probably be happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles