Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 PM

149 posts, read 567,884 times

Advertisements

We lived in So. Cal for two years and never once saw a roach/waterbug, but the day my 3 year old daughter (at the time) brought in a potato bug/jeruselum bug or whatever you call them I thought I would die. They truly look like the spawn of Satan but apparently you don't see them too often thank goodness. I went around asking all my neighbors what on earth it was since I had never seen one. We also never had problems with Mosquitoes which was nice you could sit outside in the evenings without getting eaten alive! Spiders were our main problem but mainly around the outside of the house. They never seemed to bother me though as much as the flying roaches. I taught in Houston when one got into my classroom and it flew at me. We crushed it with a text book or so we thought only to find it climbing it's way out of the trashcan an hour later. Just gives me the jeebies thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 08:52 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Default Jerusalem Crickets continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggaBoo2 View Post
Those things always freak me out! ... I didn't know that's what they were called either. .... My cat use to bring them in the house...

See lots of lizards though & they aren't easy litte buggers to catch when they are in your kitchen...did you know they can squeeze in those little spaces in between your cabinets?
Funny about the Jerusalem Crickets -- cats aren't afraid of them (BuggaBoo2) but dogs are (SoCalMomma). I knew there was a reason cats are cooler than dogs!

Lizards I don't mind. They eat bugs. Feel the same about having lots of birds around, and opossums, too. Lizards, birds and opossums can dine at my place any day.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Funny about the Jerusalem Crickets -- cats aren't afraid of them (BuggaBoo2) but dogs are (SoCalMomma). I knew there was a reason cats are cooler than dogs!

Lizards I don't mind. They eat bugs. Feel the same about having lots of birds around, and opossums, too. Lizards, birds and opossums can dine at my place any day.

I actually don't mind the lizards either...as long as they aren't in my kitchen. Yes, critters that eat bugs are a good thing. Well ladybugs are the only bugs I like & they eat bad bugs so they are ok. Opossums...now those are funky looking things. They aren't the cute little ones you see in the zoo either...big gangly things!

The bugs & critters aren't so bad in CA...again as long as they aren't in my house or my kitchen.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Look at the cute little face.

http://dracoverdi.net/pictures/shinyPotatoBug.jpg

Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Heres another nice little potato bug.

http://mike.shannonandmike.net/wp-co...tato%20bug.jpg

Old 01-07-2008, 09:56 PM

149 posts, read 567,884 times
Just seeing that precious potato bug face again I won't be able to sleep tonight

As for Opossums those are nasty little critters too. We had a brood of them who of all things ate the peels off of our lemon trees. We thought the tree had some weird disease only to find about 6 of them chomping down in the middle of the night. Also had one brought into the house by my lovely lab. It had fallen out of the tree and she killed the poor thing sometime during the night only to bring it in for show and tell the next morning. And all I could think is it really dead or just playing Opossum. Yuck!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:56 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,382 times
Now that we are talking about critters - - in our yard or nearby we seen raccoons, possums, squirrels, bunnies, a fox, wolves, an owl, 2 egrets, a turkey vulture, ducks, varities of other birds, and a family of hawks lived in our big pine tree (that fell down a year or so ago).

We have lots of lizards, a toad or two, and even snakes! Gopher snakes mostly, but I have 'heard' a rattlesnake, too. I freaked out and called the fire dept for them to come get it

We live in a city, not out in the boonies - but we do have open space nearby and the animals just 'come down' into our neighborhood. It's actually pretty neat.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:31 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Thumbs up Opossums eat rats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekutz View Post
As for Opossums those are nasty little critters too.
Opossums do have a gainly look to them, but they are our friends. They're misfortune is their resemblance to rats, but aside from that "curse" opossums have nothing in common with rats or rodents. Opossums are marsupials (kangaroo family) -- and EAT rats. You have opossums? You won't have rats!

Opossums also eat rotting fruit, carcases of other animals, and they're highly resistant to rabies.

I have fig and plum trees by my house. Both produce way more fruit than I can eat or cart to my neighbors. The fruits drop on the ground where they attract ants, fruit flies, and generally create a mess. At night opossums come around and help with the cleanup. I love 'em.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:32 AM

67 posts, read 302,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I have never seen such a thing! It looks like a cartoon bug lol

Old 01-08-2008, 09:50 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,853 times
MOSQUITO'S...are there many of these in the L.A. area??? Of all the times I have been to L.A. I have never seen one. We have them so bad here that some nights you can't even leave the house, another awesome thing about living in Indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles