Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,094 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My name is Vladimir (call me Vlad!). I'm Jewish and was born in Moscow. In the early 1990's my family and I moved to Haifa in Israel where I was raised. I moved to the states after I finished my military service at aged 21 to study at the City College of NY (a four year public college in Manhattan), well I graduated and have been working at a call center to pay rent...well, just received a job offer in Loe Angeles and I am very happy because this is one those "once in a lifetime/game changing" offers..the job starts the last week of January and is in downtown.

Anyhow, what I like about NYC, especially Brooklyn where I am currently residing is that there is a prominent, dynamic, and diverse Jewish community that predominates in many areas, where every shopping street has Judaica stores, Kosher delis, groceries, Kosher Restaurants (I had Kosher Thai food this last weekend! Lol). I know that it won't be as large out there in CA but is there anything comparable? I do not mean to come off as predjudiced or looking to isolate myself from Gentiles at all! Culture fascinates me in general and I am excited to experience the Latin and Asian cultures that SoCal has to offer, but it is very important for me to be able to be around my culture too!

The Fairfax district is what I have read is the main center of the LA Jewish community, is this right? For those of you that are familiar with NY how does it compare to areas like Midwood, Boro Park etc. in terms of amenities like markets, stores, synagogues, delis (very important!! Lol)? Also, is the area walking distance to shut on Shabbat when I can't drive?

I found an apartment online at Venice and San Vicente, is this in the Fairfax district? What is the going rate for a studio or 1 bedroom in the area?

In regards to the makeup of the LA Jewiish community, is it mostly Ashkenazim like here in NY (Jews that came to the USA from Europe) or others like Sephardi or Mizrahi Jews? I know there are many Persian Jews in LA but do they live in the Fairfax area? Is there a Mexican/Latin Americsn Jewish presence? Is there a large amount of Ultra-Orthodox Jews (the kind who wear the big hats and black suits, and the women wear wigs and skirts) are they often seen in the area like in a lot of the neighborhoods of Brooklyn?

Sorry if I came off offensive in anyway! I am just very comfortable in Jewish neughborhoods (reminds me of home) and I am trying to find the best place for me!

So please someone tell me all there is to know about the Fairfax district...the opinion of a Jewish person in LA or someone familiar enough with NYC/Brooklyn Jewish areas to have a point of reference, although I welcome and am grateful for all opinions!

Also, I did a search and I saw that in LA, the city of West Hollywood has a large percentage of Russian born residents, is there a cohesive Russian community in LA? It is always nice to be able to get some good Russian food. Also, it's interesting how a gay community and immigrant Russians came to share a neighborhood...(not that I have anything against gays...my brother is gay and lives with his boyfriend in Berlin.)

Anything else you Angelenos wanna tell me about the Fairfax, the Russians of Weho, or any other areas of your fine city with a substantial Jewish community??

Thanks and hope you have a happy new year!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 12:43 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Yes. My dad is Jewish; his parents left the Soviet Union (he was born in Moscow) and moved to NYC for a few years before they ultimately made the move to LA. There's an enormous Jewish population in LA. Not as big as NYC, but pretty close to it. I also lived in San Diego--a lot of Mexican Jews there, and I'd imagine in LA there are as well. I'm familiar with the Persian and Ashkenazi Jews of LA.

I know there's quite a lot of Jews in Westwood, many of them being of Persian descent.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:48 AM

861 posts, read 852,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yes. My dad is Jewish; his parents left the Soviet Union (he was born in Moscow) and moved to NYC for a few years before they ultimately made the move to LA. There's an enormous Jewish population in LA. Not as big as NYC, but pretty close to it. I also lived in San Diego--a lot of Mexican Jews there, and I'd imagine in LA there are as well. I'm familiar with the Persian and Ashkenazi Jews of LA.

I know there's quite a lot of Jews in Westwood, many of them being of Persian descent.
Thats what I was about to say, although the community in LA was originally all Azkhenazi, after the Iranian revolution a lot of Persians moved to LA.

The clash of culture was quite apparent in the beginning as the Persians just went to existing Shuls. That has changed over time. As the other poster said, the community is smaller than in NYC and a bit more mixed too..

Old 01-01-2015, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,094 times
So the LA Jewish community is dominated by Iranian/Persian culture as opposed to the mainstream Jewish culture? Can one still have access to stores that sell Ashkenazi food like Lox, Gefilte Fish, Matzo Ball Soup etc.?

Old 01-01-2015, 07:52 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimmigrant View Post
So the LA Jewish community is dominated by Iranian/Persian culture as opposed to the mainstream Jewish culture? Can one still have access to stores that sell Ashkenazi food like Lox, Gefilte Fish, Matzo Ball Soup etc.?
Yes, there is plenty of that in LA. Admittedly, when I lived in Mt. Olympus as a kid, there was far more of that "down the hill" then there is now.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Secular ashkenazi Jews live in the Westside... like Santa Monica, pacific palisades, brentwood. Many are only Jewish by culture

Religious ashkenazi Jews live in the Fairfax District as well as Beverlywood and Pico/Robertson

Persian Jews live in Beverly Hills and Westwood

Sephardic Jews, not so many, but they tend to be more in central LA

Old 01-01-2015, 04:39 PM

25 posts, read 81,629 times
Lots of Jews - Persian, Russian, American born, Israeli immigrants, etc - along the southern rim of the SF valley. The communities running from Calabasas to Studio City

Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 PM

57 posts, read 382,130 times
A lot of orthodox jews walking around La Brea and Hancock park area. I saw them daily on La Brea when I lived in the miracle mile area.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:55 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja2014 View Post
Lots of Jews - Persian, Russian, American born, Israeli immigrants, etc - along the southern rim of the SF valley. The communities running from Calabasas to Studio City
That too. the southern SFV has the best variety of all types of Jews.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:12 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
The Valley has the most Sephardics, but one can find all types of Jews in the southern neighborhoods of the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles