Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 942 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Montreal, Canada and relocating to Santa Monica for work in 6 months. I'm a guy in my late 20s, gay. I'm not sure if I should move to Santa Monica or Venice. I know LA traffic is pretty brutal so I wouldn't want to be too far from work. In terms of housing I've done my research and it looks like I can afford a two bedroom in either area so I've established that much. Basically I'm a pretty outdoorsy guy, surfing, hiking, biking etc. I live in a pretty eclectic and diverse neighbourhood right now and love the vibe. I know weho is more of a gay-centric neighbourhood and it's a nice area but not really my scene per say. I enjoy having good amenities within walking/biking distance and am hoping to live in an area where it will be easy to meet people around my age as I don't know anyone down there... Any advice would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 01:24 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
Just curious, how much have you budgeted for a 2BR?

SM is really three separate areas. The southern part isn't a whole lot different than Venice but it is a little nicer. Downtown SM is the most urban feeling and walkable but you're close to the Promenade and all of the tourists. North SM (where I live) is quiet and has an upscale residential feel. It can be walkable depending on where you live but younger people tend to criticize it as being boring/quiet at night which I've never really understood since it's a short bike/cab ride to the rest of SM. Venice is going to be the closest to eclectic and diverse. I stayed in Venice for 2 weeks before moving to the area and it wasn't my cup of tea. In general, if you want to be closer to people in their 20's stick to south SM or Venice.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:02 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
If you can afford it, central (downtown) Santa Monica is the best option. It's also the priciest. It's just a couple blocks from the beach but has every amenity you can imagine, and is a straight shot to West LA, Weho, Hollywood, DTLA. World class dining and shopping, tons of bars, dense urban living with clean air and space, movie theaters, eclectic shops, excellent public transit. Many cutting edge corporations and businesses headquartered there. Central SM is THE most desirable place to live in LA county if you go by the rental market.

Venice is a little funkier and sketchy. Though Abbot Kinney is a huge attraction, it's not as busy (or safe) as central SM. The boardwalk is a big tourist attraction but brings in all the weirdos, much like hollywood.

South SM, which we recently discussed in another thread, is dull and sleepy. Main St has a few bars, restaurants, and coffee shops but it's quiet during the week and lame on the weekends. Ocean Park even less so. Not really great for young people.

North SM is similarly quiet, but North SM is beautiful and walking distance to central SM.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:29 PM

192 posts, read 249,852 times
I would live in Santa Monica in a heartbeat. There's not much in Venice, and it's dirty. I'm hesitant to even go to the beach there.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:46 PM

360 posts, read 712,813 times
I'm 31, and live in Venice and absolutely love it. Check out areas around Main Street, Rose, Abbott Kinney and Washington.

What I like about Venice, is that you are a short Uber ride away from everything. $10 will get you to downtown Santa Monica or LAX. I also like how its a bit artsy, unique and not horribly touristy (besides the boardwalk).

As far as living downtown Santa Monica, there is crazy traffic there all the time. I couldn't imagine trying to get through all of that nightly to get home every night or to run errands. I try to avoid that area as much as possible.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaredalot View Post
I would live in Santa Monica in a heartbeat. There's not much in Venice, and it's dirty. I'm hesitant to even go to the beach there.

Are you talking about the board walk or all of Venice? Because if its all of Venice then that is just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles