Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 PM

197 posts, read 279,216 times

Advertisements

Might seem like a weird comparison, but here it is. I've lived in Hollywood for the past years, about 2 blocks from Hollywood and Highland.

I've been thinking about a move to Venice Beach, mostly for the beach and the funkier vibe. I go there nearly every weekend to bike along the beach or just take a walk. Compared to the vast crowds around Hollywood, Venice seems a little more relaxed.

Then I followed a twitter feed of someone who posts from a police scanner, and retweets reports of crime in Venice Beach. After following that for a day, it sounded like Venice Beach is a post-apocalyptic wasteland of constant violence.

Then I was thinking I've never been bothered by crime or noise in Hollywood, although the crime rate must be fairly high? My apartment faces a cement wall, basically, so no view but not much noise. The property manager of the building actually cares what happens in the building. I personally fall asleep at 10 pm, so I'm not walking around at late hours. I've lived in large cities for the past 25 years, so I'm used to a lot.

I work from home, so there's no commute, and I don't have kids, so the schools aren't an issue. It's an issue of a place I'd enjoy living, and the minuses are within a tolerable range.

So.... for me, Venice is just livable as Hollywood, wouldn't you think? It's more an issue of the building I'm living in, the landlord, etc, etc, etc?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 11:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Any particular reason you're not considering Santa Monica? But yeah, I don't think you'd have an issue. Sounds to me like Venice and Hollywood would be a pretty similar lifestyle for you, and you get to be near the beach.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Venice is more livable than Hollywood. Don't listen to Venice 311. I know her, and while she means well, she's always looking for something to tweet about.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:04 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
I live in Santa Maonica and go to Venice frequently... Never had a problem, never felt unsafe for a single female.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:11 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
venice will be considerably more expensive than hollywood for rentals. as long as the you can handle the financial difference, why not give it a shot.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:47 PM

197 posts, read 279,216 times
I have been thinking Santa Monica, that's more expensive than Venice, yes? Although if I could get something in Santa Monica, that would be great.

I'm hoping for a studio in the $1,000-$1,500 with parking. I'm paying $1,500 now and that's most I want to pay. It seems studios in my range certainly exist, SM being the hardest place to find them. Venice a little easier.

I'm also looking into the Beach cities - Redondo, Manhattan, Hermosa. Certainly beautiful beach areas. But I like the artsy/creative/weird aspect found in Venice.

Of course, I'm talking like these are separated by vast areas, but I've biked the Braude trail from Manhattan Beach to Venice and SM loads of times. I guess anywhere within a mile or two of the shore would be ok for me.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:55 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Venice isn't really any cheaper than Santa Monica. But I guess if you're only looking for a studio then you might be able to find something.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:40 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
You probably won't find anything in your budget in Santa Monica. Your best bet is West LA or Culver City. Santa Monica is the priciest rental market in LA county. Don't forget utilities and cable when you factor in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles