Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 01:49 PM

96 posts, read 170,452 times

Advertisements

Any random opinions about this area? Would you want to live there? Why or why not? Assume commuting isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 02:09 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Assuming commuting is not an issue?

If that's meant to convey that one either works from home or more or less doesn't need to work at all...

Yes.

I love that area.

When I would need 'civilization' it's a quick pop over to Porter Ranch or Simi.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

I love that area.
What do you love about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

When I would need 'civilization' it's a quick pop over to Porter Ranch or Simi.
West Hills has it's own 'civilization' doesn't it? Around Victory, Sherman, Roscoe, etc.? I guess you run into Canoga Park or Woodland Hills at some point but that seems closer than Porter Ranch or Simi.

What about the "extreme fire danger" signs everywhere in Box Canyon? Worth the risk?

Old 02-04-2015, 02:55 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo20 View Post
What do you love about it?

West Hills has it's own 'civilization' doesn't it? Around Victory, Sherman, Roscoe, etc.? I guess you run into Canoga Park or Woodland Hills at some point but that seems closer than Porter Ranch or Simi.

What about the "extreme fire danger" signs everywhere in Box Canyon? Worth the risk?
Fire doesn't bother me.

I love the sky, the varied landscape, the reservoir, peacefulness. When I've been through there it seems like there's little "pass-through" traffic.

West Hills has some commercial activity to be sure in the areas you listed, but Porter Ranch is closer than comparable areas in Woodland Hills. I'm really only referring to larger-scale shopping and restaurants. Even so, Woodland Hills and Calabasas aren't too far away.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
box canyon is quite nice and feels very rural. it reminds me a lot of topanga canyon, but considerably warmer in the summer. the views there are quite nice as well. you'll either have a view of the chatsworth "resevoir", the mountains, or both. having said that, it's quite secluded. you're probably closer to civilization in simi valley at that point than anywhere in the san fernando valley. i've never lived in the area, but have cycled through box canyon quite a few times. i really like that whole area adjacent to valley circle and north of roscoe.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Box Canyon and the area it comes down into---Lake Manor, Chatsworth---are unincorporated, so not much code interference from the county. All the area is on septic tanks, but are on county water and power. Fire signs are in all the canyons in LA and all over SoCal. It's THE risk.

There's a lot of funky and cool architecture, including a geodesic dome, but also a lot of modified shacks. There are some intruding bigger houses, but most of the lots are tiny, and the streets so narrow that it's hard to gentrify. People talk to their neighbors. It's nice having access to both the SF Valley and Simi Valley, the 101 and the 118, and you can take Topanga over to the beach.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
It's too hot in the summer for me. Same thing with Woodland Hills and Simi Valley. I don't like temps over 90.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
It's the best of both worlds in a sense. On the one hand it is part of the great northwestern hinterlands of Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties but on the other hand, as others have noted, it is not that difficult to do city stuff from there. Canoga and Woodland are not very far.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 PM

Yeah, the geography is great. Very scenic. And relatively affordable.

What about Rocketdyne? Are people just hoping there are no side-effects or has there ever been any proof that the area is ok to live in?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 PM

Another article here.

"One of the biggest questions that remains is: ‘Who would actually want to live on a place, or eat food grown in a place carrying the chemical and radiation history of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles