Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM

16 posts, read 14,771 times

Advertisements

Hey. I am 27 and live in Metro Detroit. I work for a factory for one of the big 3 companies so I have 7 years manufacturing experience. I have an aunt that lives in a town called El Segundo in LA and I can stay with her if I moved out there. I see that LA tops the list for manufacturing jobs in America, which is surprising actually. I would love to work a factory job and live in SoCal (especially rent free at first!) but I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with this area of work. I don't speak Spanish and won't learn (disinterest, and principle) so does this basically disqualify me from these jobs? What's the pay like? I don't have expertise in any other field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 AM

8,338 posts, read 6,423,253 times
I was a machinist during the heyday of the aerospace industry here in southern Calif. As a machinist experience is everything and today knowing how to program CNC is required. The Democrats who wholly run this state have driven most of the manufacturing jobs to other states, Its not at all like it used to be.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:51 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,916 times
When you say metro Detroit, what part? Because if it's the suburbs or anywhere in Oakland County, I would just say stay based on what you've said above.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
When you say metro Detroit, what part? Because if it's the suburbs or anywhere in Oakland County, I would just say stay based on what you've said above.
Not Oakland County. Born in Warrendale in the city, however have lived downriver in Wyandotte for about 15 years. I work in Dearborn for Ford.

Why do you say I should stay? If I was coming out with no housing I would get it but I would think the biggest obstacle would be housing. My aunt basically said I could stay rent free in the apartment above here garage until I can find work, and then just contribute where I can. She is close to the water and very close to places like Manhattan Beach etc which makes the whole thing very attractive to me.

Is the fact that I am not Hispanic/Spanish speaking gonna be my biggest impediment?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:29 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I was a machinist during the heyday of the aerospace industry here in southern Calif. As a machinist experience is everything and today knowing how to program CNC is required. The Democrats who wholly run this state have driven most of the manufacturing jobs to other states, Its not at all like it used to be.
If the California Dems are trying to chase out manufacturing jobs, they're really sh*tty at it:

Los Angeles Leads U.S. Metros in Manufacturing Jobs | SSTI

Old 02-11-2015, 12:34 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforanewstart View Post

Is the fact that I am not Hispanic/Spanish speaking gonna be my biggest impediment?
No, but your attitude toward "Spanish" speakers could be. Just from the tone of your posts, I don't think you're going to be very comfortable here.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforanewstart View Post
Not Oakland County. Born in Warrendale in the city, however have lived downriver in Wyandotte for about 15 years. I work in Dearborn for Ford.

Why do you say I should stay? If I was coming out with no housing I would get it but I would think the biggest obstacle would be housing. My aunt basically said I could stay rent free in the apartment above here garage until I can find work, and then just contribute where I can. She is close to the water and very close to places like Manhattan Beach etc which makes the whole thing very attractive to me.

Wyandotte is a nice neighborhood, no? I've never been, but I have visited friends who grew up on Grosse Ille and that area is pretty dece. I was suggesting you stay in Michigan based on the fact that you seem pretty adverse to change, stuck in your ways, and you're not living in Detroit itself. I think it would be pretty prudent to want to learn Spanish to communicate with coworkers if you're going to pursue a job out here.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
In California and especially SoCal Value Added By Manufacturing continues to decline. There are still players who hire but expect openings to be swamped by applicants.

Our traditional Big 3 ops here are nearly gone.

The main thing happening now is Tesla.

There are also newer aerospace players doing private space shots.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:58 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
If you've got a good full time perm job with benefits working for Ford, I recommend you DONT LEAVE. The cost of living in LA is outtasight.

Manufacturing in LA comes in two main flavors:
a) pays crap; along similar scale as service, retail and office jobs
b) pays great but requires degree & experience & specialized skills & very good luck. We had zero openings for about a 7 year run at that tier.

I say that as someone who works in manufacturing.

"El Segundo" is a spanish word, meaning 'the second'. If you have strong preferences against the spanish language & people, dont come here.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Wyandotte is a nice neighborhood, no? I've never been, but I have visited friends who grew up on Grosse Ille and that area is pretty dece. I was suggesting you stay in Michigan based on the fact that you seem pretty adverse to change, stuck in your ways, and you're not living in Detroit itself. I think it would be pretty prudent to want to learn Spanish to communicate with coworkers if you're going to pursue a job out here.
Wyandotte is nice, very middle class decent area. I'm not adverse to change? Is not wanting to be bilingual adverse to change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles