Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:47 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,189,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
If I was a NYer, San Francisco would appeal more to me than LA would.
I was thinking the same thing. New Yorkers crap-talk Los Angeles every chance they get but seem to like San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 10:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,492,828 times
New yorkers do crap talk L.A a lot..but I think it will change once the metro rail system is complete and by then I would expect DTLA to grow even more and the surrounding areas to become more dense as well.

It takes a lot of time for people to realize something has changed, even people that live in a city.

I have been looking into parts of Miami and even people that live in the area don't know about those areas or what is going on. I can see a similar thing happening in Miami that happened in L.A and it's already happening.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:14 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,832,652 times
This question gets asked every winter. I remember "Snowpocalypse" and the resulting posts here last year. Some will move, some won't. There won't be an influx.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:34 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,393,102 times
OK NYT article. But I never expected to "picturesque and prosperous" tied to a "Blade Runner" reference. Kind of an illustration of the truism, that visitors to LA, even travel writers, have a hard time wrapping their brains around the place.

Link at the bottom leads to a pretty good "walking in LA" piece, in case you overlooked it.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:04 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,437,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
This question gets asked every winter. I remember "Snowpocalypse" and the resulting posts here last year. Some will move, some won't. There won't be an influx.
Exactly. It's really not as big of a deal as some think. These crazy snowstorms don't cause huge amounts of people to move.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:31 PM

317 posts, read 404,059 times
As someone from NJ, I will tell you that of all the places people here say they want to move to, its California. Its gotta be the number one place to move to from NJ. that said, Probably only 20% actually do move.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:49 PM

3,901 posts, read 4,553,515 times
For as long as I can remember, since I was a little girl, (eh hem, 5 decades, cough choke) I've been told that people from the east coast watch the Rose Bowl Parade on TV Jan. 1st with the California sun gracing the blue skies and dry ground, then start packing on Jan. 2nd!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:09 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,027,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
For as long as I can remember, since I was a little girl, (eh hem, 5 decades, cough choke) I've been told that people from the east coast watch the Rose Bowl Parade on TV Jan. 1st with the California sun gracing the blue skies and dry ground, then start packing on Jan. 2nd!
Or for that matter, the Rose Bowl game where the Midwesterners in Big 10 country (Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota) typically see a 65-75 degree sunny day for football. That game is really when Midwestern/Eastern eyes are on SoCal, and there could be some subconscious effect of watching that game year after year growing up (while snow is on the ground outside your house).

Old 02-17-2015, 02:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,967,802 times
This record bad weather happens every year. The Noreasters have always been there, and LA has always been there. OP, I don't know why you'd think this year is any different.

TBH, I think far too many people use weather as a scapegoat. If people do move for the so-called weather reasons, they may end up homesick, miss their family, the culture they grew up in/etc. It happens on C-D all the time.

People generally don't move just to change the weather. There have to be other motivations as well.

In my own personal experience, I moved from CA to have "bad" weather (along with a multitude of other reasons). I have 6 inches of snow out front and could not be more delighted. I would only consider leaving here for cultural reasons (me no fit in), but the rest of life here is fine.....which isn't enough to compel me to move.

I don't see Johnny New Yorker leaving because he's tired of the dang snow they get a whopping 1/4 of the year and leave behind his job, friends, family, familiarity, culture, and everything else he knows/loves to simply get no snow. To boot, there's no reason LA would necessarily be at the top of his list.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:11 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,189,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
This record bad weather happens every year.
It didn't use to. The weather is becoming more extreme because of climate change. The winter storms are going to keep getting worse and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles