Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times

Advertisements

babitas on san gabriel just north of the 10 fwy
huasteca in lynwood at plaza mexico
la casita mexicana in bell on gage

try those spots when you have the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 AM

9 posts, read 29,440 times
I don't know if you are looking for a full meal or what, but as far as taco's and burrito's go, (I'd say especially tacos) Tito's Taco's in Culver City is very good. Teeny tiny little hole in the wall, but it is always packed with people. The taco's here cannot be beat. I always go there when coming back from LAX because it's right off the 405 off Washington Blvd, which is on my way to my destination. Check it out.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
In the "Valley" areas, I have a few places I like:

Out in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys, I enjoy stopping at the Burrito Factory for lunch. They have a good selection of burritos, as well as many other items to choose from. They have several locations in those two valleys: Chatsworth, Granada Hills, Sylmar, Valencia, and Saugus, if I remember correctly. There may be one in Sunland, too.

Also in Granada Hills is a little place called Nachos. They have good tostadas, and their "tostada bowl grande" is huge. It is usually more than enough for me, and I like to eat.

For char-broiled chicken (like Pollo Loco), I like to go to El Pollo Gordo in San Fernando. This is especially good if you have a crowd to feed. They have specials of 12 to 150 pieces at reasonable prices, and they include rice, beans, salsa, and tortillas.

For tamales, I like Carrillo's, also in San Fernando. Some people don't like them, but it's just a matter of personal preference. Another good place is "Gourmet Tamales," which has locations in both San Fernando and Pacoima that I know of.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 PM

48 posts, read 188,402 times
Hi - There are multiple Mexican places to check out the the Grand Central market in downtown LA. Authentic and inexpensive: Welcome to the Grand Central Market For Tamales try La Indiana - great pork tamales: La Indiana Tamales Tito's Tacos are not authentic style Mexican and have always been underwhelming. I have never understood why it's popular. Eventually you will have to drive out to different locations to find your favorites. Given LA's large Mexican population, you will find that the food is still hit or miss in many cases.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 23,355 times
El Compadre in Hollywood, Don Cuco's in Burbank and La Cabana in Venice are my favorites!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:11 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Tito's Tacos in Culver City, everyone loves that place.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Tito's Tacos in Culver City, everyone loves that place.
and i don't know why. i like it, too, but i can't understand the appeal, even for myself. face it: it's greasy; it's salty; it's barely recognizable as meat; and it has absolutely no discernible flavor that one normally associates with mexican food. plus, their salsa is tasteless tomato mush. yet, when i have a taste for it, nothing else will suffice. tito's is similar to pink's in that way: iconic LA junk food that just calls to you sometimes. however, i would never claim that it's good mexican food, and i certainly wouldn't take or send an out-of-town visitor there. it's more of a local culinary peculiarity than a representative sample of mexican cooking.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 PM

332 posts, read 2,149,440 times
The taco trucks on the 4000-5000 block of Eagle Rock Blvd. at night are ammmmmaaazing. They have some of the best Mexican food in LA.

After you visit these joints, Tito's becomes trash.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,413 times
Yuca's on Hillhurst in Los Feliz is one of the best stands anywhere in the city. Enjoy

Old 02-01-2009, 03:57 PM

142 posts, read 272,884 times
for tacos i recomened el torrito in west LA i dont have the direction sorry
i cant believe no one has mentioned tortas ahogadas the best i have tasted so far in the US are in Bell Gardens by the 710 on florences next to famsa go to the one on the left or else you will end up in a white version of the real thing they have the best birria tacos as well as authentic mexican sodas the name i believe is Tortas Guadalajara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles