Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 02:22 PM

8 posts, read 33,834 times

Advertisements

Hey community! My family is moving for work reasons from NYC. My wife's work is in Chino and I may have a job there too. Here are my questions.

- Is a realtor recommended or even necessary for renting a property? (We are looking at 4 Bd+, 2 bath+ houses) Any thoughts on this?

- How soon should we be looking at places for a June 2015 move in?

- As the title implies, what are pros and cons of Chino Hills, Diamond Bar, Walnut? Any pther areas suggested?

We are a medical family with 1 child in kindergarten and the other almost pre-k. Looking at elementary schools, ease of driving, access to parks, diversity, safety, etc etc

Thanks everyone for you thoughts and opinions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 23,206 times
I'm also looking to move into IE so I'm by no means an expert Just trying to offer my 2 cents based on past experience and online research.

1. I've rented many times before and only once used an agent which was part of the relocation package from a previous employer. I don't think you really need one. Most, if not all, information is available online. But if you are new to an area and need some advice from local and most importantly, need somebody drives you around to look at open houses, then an agent will be helpful. Otherwise I prefer not to have one and do things at my own speed.

2. It's not too early to look and get more information of your interested areas. You just need to look for rentals with a starting date close to your arrival date. I guess you can negotiate with the landlords to see whether they are willing to wait.

3. From what I read online, all three areas you listed are nice. For school districts, it seems Walnut>Diamond Bar>Chino Hills, and it's the same order in terms of affordability.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:52 AM

113 posts, read 257,398 times
Walnut is the best on your list.

Diamond Bar is a pretty close second, so if there's a noticeable price difference you should consider Diamond Bar.

Parts of Chino Hill are very nice. But it borders Chino which is not a good neighborhood.

I get the sense Chino Hill is a younger neighborhood so if you like to hang out with younger people maybe you would enjoy that more. Chino Hill also has better stores (like Trader Joe's) and lots of shopping options.

Diamond Bar and Walnut is more quieter residential areas. I live in Diamond Bar and I'm kind of sad that we only have 1-2 supermarkets within 5 minute driving distance.

You really can't go wrong with any of these three cities.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2002 View Post
Diamond Bar and Walnut is more quieter residential areas. I live in Diamond Bar and I'm kind of sad that we only have 1-2 supermarkets within 5 minute driving distance.

You really can't go wrong with any of these three cities.
Diamond Bar is definitely very residential--surrounded by hills too. Gotta drive through that pass to get to Brea to spend money.

At least Walnut is right next to Covina and West Covina. Plenty of shopping and restaurants in those two neighboring cities.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:06 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
You should post this question in the Inland Empire forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...side-counties/

Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
They all have different things to offer, but I wouldn't say either are necessarily better.

Chino Hills has the most shopping and I end up going there pretty often for things like Trader Joe's, Best Buy, Costco, etc. All three have a lot of nice parks and well performing schools. Chino Hills is probably the least convenient for commuting to LA or OC, but the most convenient for commuting to Chino (though DB and Walnut aren't that difficult of a commute to Chino.

Chino Hills tends to be more affordable than Walnut and Diamond Bar, and Walnut definitely has a high concentration of million+ homes (Diamond Bar does too, in the Country and some other areas). Walnut is probably the most expensive when it comes to rent and Diamond Bar #2.

I grew up in Diamond Bar and moved back several years ago, so I'm partial to it, but personally I could live in either city.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:51 PM

223 posts, read 470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
You should post this question in the Inland Empire forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...side-counties/

Walnut and Diamond Bar are both LA County. Chino Hills is Inland Empire though.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:55 PM

822 posts, read 1,283,791 times
Both Diamond Bar and Walnut have majority (50% to 60+%) Asian populations while Chino Hills is about 33%. Great areas with good demographics, low crime, etc.

Snoop Dog, the rapper, is a resident of Diamond Bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles