Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:49 AM

24 posts, read 123,414 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone here spent any time around the 1980's rock and roll scene on Sunset Strip. I'd love to read your stories! To folks like me who grew up during the 'hair metal' years and aren't from LA, the stories from the Strip are the stuff of legend. How much is true and how much is just hype? Was it really that outrageous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 12:57 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
Yes it was, and that's why we can't spell it out on a moderated, family-friendly forum!

But that was then, and this is now. I hope you're enjoying the now of L.A. music by checking out the indie103 fm station. This one features Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols, Dave Navarro, Henry Rollins and many other amusing personages as DJs of pretty cool, not necessarily heavy rotationed music from punk to now. It's the only thing besides my hairdresser (long story) that I'll miss about L.A. when we flee: the station is that good.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
Hi Xray,
I was a teen of the 70's and spent most of my free time at the Whiskey, the Starwood and The Rainbow Bar and Grill where I had the thrill of meeting ALL of Led Zepplin, Keith Moon, Shaun Cassidy whom I went out with, David Cassidy, Bad Company, sat with Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple, Roger Daltry, Alice Cooper and many fun experiences there and at the Hyatt House which we called the Riot House and yes, most of the stories you might have heard are probably true and greatly exaggerated! It was the time of platford shoes, David Bowie and Ziggy Stardust, Van Halen, etc. A sister of a friend at the time was a well-known groupie and "girlfriend" of many rockers, particularly Jimmy Pages at the ripe old age of 13! Oh, the stories!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRay View Post
Just wondering if anyone here spent any time around the 1980's rock and roll scene on Sunset Strip. I'd love to read your stories! To folks like me who grew up during the 'hair metal' years and aren't from LA, the stories from the Strip are the stuff of legend. How much is true and how much is just hype? Was it really that outrageous?
Yes, those stories were true. L.A. became a far more depressing place when it lost its decadent hedonism and the Strip became upscale and corporate (I refer to it as "East Beverly Hills" now - for that matter that's how I'd describe western West Hollywood in general. Friends of mine who grew up in WeHo, however, in the old days,used another term to describe the area west of Crescent Heights, particularly around Santa Monica Blvd., that couldn't be used on this board, and for good reason, although no doubt one of the haters would have no problem with using it. )

Old 02-13-2007, 03:07 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
I was a little young...I was a Hollywood velvet rope party boy in the early to mid 90's. The 80's Strip scene looked like so much fun...I shoulda got a fake ID. Let's hear some stories!

Old 02-13-2007, 03:09 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
the area west of Crescent Heights, particularly around Santa Monica Blvd., that couldn't be used on this board, and for good reason, although no doubt one of the haters would have no problem with using it. )
You can also call it Boys Town ~
I spent tons of time and did many things I can't describe here in WeHo too.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:36 PM

19 posts, read 137,981 times
The Strip stories were for real and true. Good times!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:40 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
What was your part of "the good times"?

Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
Nostalgie de la boue is a French term for memories of mud, i.e., the gutter, the decadent old times. This seemed like a perfect title for some of my photos of vintage Sunset Strip, Hollywood CA backstage nightlife from the golden days of Hair Metal in the late 1980's, plus one pic of an actual Sunset Strip protest against pay to play. Recogizable faces here and there would be Billy Idol, Julian Lennon, Bill Gazzari, Jessica Hahn, Mara Fox of Precious Metal, and many others who would not like to be remembered for what they all did in the bathrooms and dressing rooms depicted.
all photos (C) +(P)2007 FastFilm, (yes, me, really)do not duplicate or link.

Last edited by kris; 01-10-2014 at 02:24 AM..

Old 02-21-2007, 09:17 PM

19 posts, read 137,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
What was your part of "the good times"?
I'll keep it tame and say just the hanging out, partying and camaraderie When will things come full circle and be as they were? The closest thing is probably the Austin music scene now, but it is no Sunset Strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles