Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 04:41 AM

45 posts, read 74,581 times

Advertisements

Hey there, youngish observant Jewish family moving from Long Island. We have two kids 10 and 14 years old. I will be working at Wilshire Blvd and Doheny and want to commute no more than 45 to 60 minutes each way. Work is 10-6 Monday through Friday.

We are looking for quiet, suburban communities with lots of Jewish people and amenities for Jews, and good schools. Budget is $900k for a home. We were directed to Sherman Oaks, Tarzana and Encino but I'm dismayed to see that would put us in LA City Schools Territory. We don't need top rated blue ribbon schools, just solid test scores, middle/upper middle class demographics, not too much ESL, no gangs.

Suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:48 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,305 times
The commute from those communities is over 60 minutes.
All your requirements don't exist. You'll have to give in on at least one.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:48 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,697 times
http://www.privateschoolreview.com/religiousSelection/typeReli/18/stateid/CA

Have you checked out the Fairfax area? I know it is or used to be heavily Jewish. Not sure about now but I'm sure someone will know.

As far as schools go it is in the LA District but have you considered private schools (see above link)?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Thanks, I saw some Jewish areas (visibility Jewish people out and about) around the Hancock Park neighborhood (stayed in Air BnB at Park La Brea apartments last time I was out there for work) but it's right in the middle of town. I don't know how familiar any of you are with Long Island but we are coming from quiet suburbia, single family homes with not a lot of foot activity and we like the quiet and family friendly atmosphere. Me and the wife both grew up in Queens and really really really prefer suburban living especially since we have kids.

We really prefer public schooling simply because of the expense, housing is about the same but the fact that I will be commuting by car versus train and CA has insanely priced gasoline and also having to get my wife a car I don't know if we can make private school work.

As for compromise, I can't on the Jewish prescense. Judaism isn't ubiquitous like Christianity so we need to be in an area somewhat convenient to things like Kosher grocery stores, and walking to shul...plus I don't really like the idea of being the token Jews on the block or my kids being an anomaly to their classmates. Suburban/safe/good schools is also important for QOL.

I can compromise on commute, it will affect my families lifestyle the least.

With a long commute, say 90 minutes..what are my options?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:50 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,062 times
You might try Beverlywood a neighborhood in the city of LA south of Beverly Hills. More quiet than Fairfax but still a large Jewish presence.

Adam Bomb was a DJ at KXLU in the 1980s....KXLU is a college radio station in LA.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
You might try Beverlywood a neighborhood in the city of LA south of Beverly Hills. More quiet than Fairfax but still a large Jewish presence.

Adam Bomb was a DJ at KXLU in the 1980s....KXLU is a college radio station in LA.
Thanks. How is the schools?

Also what about Beverly Hills? I am thinking it might be out of reach but who knows. However I read it is predominantly Iranian (90210 sure did misrepresent it lol), since Iranians are predominantly Muslim and there are some tensions would my kids experience any problems like anti-Semitic behavior?

And really? It was my nickname back in HS and I couldn't think of another screen name

Old 05-06-2015, 08:20 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,547 times
The Iranians in LA are Jews

Old 05-06-2015, 08:31 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,305 times
Most iranis in Beverly hills are Jewish.
The schools there are not antisemitic. But you will not find a home in BH for anywhere near 900,000.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:12 AM

490 posts, read 660,028 times
Unfortunately for you, the iconic heavily jewish areas of Los Angeles are all in Central LA (Pico-Robertson, Fairfax, Hancock Park) However, Agoura Hills has a sizable Jewish population, is suburban and has excellent schools, though that will be a long commute for you prob around 90 min.

Another option could be northern Culver City, very close to Pico-Robertson THE epicenter of the Jewish population in LA, good schools and your commute would be less than 30 min, however it is kind of a midpoint between suburban/urban.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.Bomb View Post
Hey there, youngish observant Jewish family moving from Long Island. We have two kids 10 and 14 years old. I will be working at Wilshire Blvd and Doheny and want to commute no more than 45 to 60 minutes each way. Work is 10-6 Monday through Friday.

We are looking for quiet, suburban communities with lots of Jewish people and amenities for Jews, and good schools. Budget is $900k for a home. We were directed to Sherman Oaks, Tarzana and Encino but I'm dismayed to see that would put us in LA City Schools Territory. We don't need top rated blue ribbon schools, just solid test scores, middle/upper middle class demographics, not too much ESL, no gangs.

Suggestions?

Well all of the Valley is City of LA, so it will be LAUSD.

I read through your posts, the closest thing you're going to get to what you had on Long Island is the Valley in the areas you listed that offers a large Jewish population.

Anything else is going to require more "city living" like the Fairfax district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles