Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Really goes to show how exciting LA can be for a first time visitor. The way the city looks is pretty awesome the first time seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 01:33 PM

317 posts, read 403,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Dear god, that enchilada is doused in cream. Disgusting! While in LA, please get some real Mecican food and skip the mexi-trash that drunks foolishly believe is "good Mexican." That's basically like going to Shanghai and asking where you can order Sweet and Sour Chicken...

To change the subject a little, your photos of Broadway in DTLA looked way depressing. The street was dead. Is there anything opening up on Broadway lately? I haven't been to Broadway in about 2 years now and last time I was there it was dead. Umami burger was okay, but not exactly impressive.
Yea I knew going into it it would be a tourist spot, but I didnt care. I was having a great time.

I had great mexican food in LA, I posted a pic before that and later on in the trip I had more great tacos at a food cart. I even tried a brain taco and it was honestly the best one out of the 3.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 PM

126 posts, read 219,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Really goes to show how exciting LA can be for a first time visitor. The way the city looks is pretty awesome the first time seeing it.
I agree. When I moved out here from Chicago, I have never even seen a real palm tree before. So, as soon as I walked out of LAX, back in 2000, I had to touch a palm tree.

The scenery was very new to me, and the sights (Venice, Malibu, Hollywood, etc.) was so exciting. I've been out here so far for 15 years. It's cool to experience a visitor's excitement.

I think we take where we live for granted until a visitor comes to visit, and their excitement for where we live reminds us of why we live where we do.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:02 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times
Great pics!

Old 06-12-2015, 02:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Dear god, that enchilada is doused in cream. Disgusting! While in LA, please get some real Mecican food and skip the mexi-trash that drunks foolishly believe is "good Mexican." That's basically like going to Shanghai and asking where you can order Sweet and Sour Chicken...
What real Mexican restaurant do you recommend?

Old 06-12-2015, 03:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
What night were you at the Echo? I was at one of the shows that week for work.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:38 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
What real Mexican restaurant do you recommend?
Hope you don't mind me interjecting...

When I was growing up in L.A. during the 60s and 70s, good Mexican food was restaurants like El Cholo, El Tepeyac, King Taco and Burrito King. Kind of like the enchiladas pictured. With the influx of immigrants over time the real food from different parts of Mexico became popular in restaurants (street tacos, mole, tortas, coctel, ceviche, etc...). El Gallo Giro was one of the first Mexican delis which popularized the street taco back in the late 80s. Now I consider their food just average...

Though I no longer live in LA, I don't go to LA to eat Mexican food since it's so prevalent here (Casa Diaz in Mira Loma is a must!) but if you go to Yelp there are some pretty good Mexican places rated at 4.5 stars. The one I would like to try is Guisados...

It's not just the Mexican food, too. There is the Central American food from Guatamala and El Salvador. I've had pupusas and huaraches and those are great!!!

Last edited by Vic Romano; 06-12-2015 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 03:52 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Thanks for posting these pics, though they are making me homesick. We always went to El Cholo for a sit down meal of Mexican food. Otherwise, it was $1.00 street tacos.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
What night were you at the Echo? I was at one of the shows that week for work.
may 9th. I didnt catch a "show" per-se, it was funky sole night with a DJ. But it was such a sick time, everyone was just grooving. I loved The Echo. I follow them on instagram

Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 PM

Day 5

Drove through a bit of DTLA on wilshire, or atleast I think this is considered DTLA to get some lunch.

Backstory: Night 3 of my trip at my hostel in Venice a homeless man was gunned down for being overly aggressive. He was killed by the LAPD. I missed it by less than an hour after driving back to the hostel. I came back to see my street blocked off with caution tape and flares. I told the cop I needed to get to my hostel which was blocked and asked him what happened. He said it was an officer involved shooting. The morning after I left and checked out the cop said I can no longer go back into the building (wtf). didnt matter as I checked out. Anyway this was part of a protest. My friends wanted to check out Venice

The memorial

Checked out the Getty afterwards. Not a huge fan of museums but I loved how the building was a museum in itself. All over an a great view of LA

Drove through Beverly hills after.

Went to a few bars after in Pasadena and chilled at my friends friend who lives there. Just a view from his apartment.

Last edited by John_marts; 06-12-2015 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles