Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

I have been renting the same apartment for about 7 years. During that time, it has been burglarized twice. While the locks were in working order, the burglars forced entry using a crow bar on my front door and removing one of my windows (without breaking the glass) and the cutting the window screen. Repairs have been made but I was wondering if anyone knew if I have any leverage against the properties company - if they have to pay for extra security, or since there are deadbolts in working order (despite the fact that they didn't deter or stop the burglars) I have to pay for any extra security like installing and paying for a system. Yes the burglaries were a few years apart, but after two times, I can't help but think this shows a pattern and that the properties company should have to do something more than fix the door and window. But of course "should" and "have to" are very different...

Thankfully I have renters' insurance but after all this, I have a feeling my premiums will go up.

Any help, experience or referrals are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 04:19 PM

86 posts, read 83,036 times
Depending on which area of LA you're in, unfortunately, being burglarized twice in seven years might not be an uncommon event

From what you're describing, it doesn't seem like the property owner is legally on the hook for anything. But it doesn't hurt to ask around to see if there have been recent burglaries in other units in your building. If you can prove that other tenants are affected, and it's a consistent pattern, management is more likely to take up your concern, though I'm not sure what they can do other than install an alarm system. If none of your neighbors have been burglarized, it might be that your unit is more vulnerable for some reason. My place was burglarized last year, I think it was targeted because it's more isolated from the other units in the building. Meaning the neighbors were less likely to hear (and in reality, didn't hear) when they literally kicked down my door to get into the unit. Great that you have renter's insurance, though! I certainly learned that lesson the hard way.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your burglary! And I was confused why no one heard them using crowbars and electric tools - your neighbors not hearing someone knock down your door is crazy to me!

I just looked on the LAPD crime mapping site and it looks like in a 4 week period, there were 42 burglaries in a 2-mile radius of my zip code, but I'm not sure if that is an uptick or not or if that will help me or hurt me in talking with my properties company. One would think a lot of burglaries would make them want to install a security system, but in the end, fixing the damages is cheaper than installing security, plus there's a housing shortage in LA so I'm sure if I moved they would be able to find a new tenant in no time. And moving would end up costing me more than installing one myself!

Thanks for your response!

Old 06-16-2015, 05:12 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,213,889 times
Where do you live in LA?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:04 PM

The Los Feliz area

Old 06-16-2015, 06:11 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,213,889 times
I would think that area would be relatively safe. Did this happen during the daytime or at night? At one place I lived in, we had some issues and the landlords installed more lighting. That was a big help since most of our issues were at night.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,732,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samioe View Post
The Los Feliz area

That seems very strange for Los Feliz, perhaps you're Los Feliz adjacent. As in East Hollywood?

How about your neighbors, were they robbed as well or just you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: