Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Idk the schools in LBC. Are they good? I know the Torrance schools are great. For 2500, LBC and Torrance are better than Palos Verdes. PV is expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Idk the schools in LBC. Are they good? I know the Torrance schools are great. For 2500, LBC and Torrance are better than Palos Verdes. PV is expensive.

Torrance has a very good school system, better than Long Beach.

You should be able to find a decent home or condo to rent in Torrance or Lomita for $2,500.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd1978 View Post
Hi there,

My husband has accepted a job position in the Wilmington area, which means we will be moving from Texas soon. Neither of us have ever been to California, so we have no idea where to start. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some nice, safe areas around the Wilmington area that would be good for a family of four with 2 elementary aged children? We would prefer for his commute to be less than an hour. Also, would love to hear of any places to avoid as well. ANY information would be greatly appreciated! We are searching blindly and it is so overwhelming! Thank you in advance!
I can't believe anyone would accept a job in place they have never even visited.

And what's soon? Next month, six months from now?

As others suggested, possibly Torrance or Long Beach.

Sorry, this isn't the way you do things when you have kids to think about. A single person flying blindly, well still not a good idea, but this sounds crazy.

What's the plan if you find you don't like it?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:19 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, this isn't the way you do things when you have kids to think about. A single person flying blindly, well still not a good idea, but this sounds crazy.
Not too crazy, if you start thinking about it. 18 millions of people live in LA (more or less), the place cannot be totally bad, or they would run away from it. And everybody knows some basic facts about Los Angeles without visiting it. You can also run "cost-of-living" calculators, etc to compare salaries.

Quote:
What's the plan if you find you don't like it?
Big deal, her husband will find another (better paying) job in 6 months and moves somewhere else.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Not too crazy, if you start thinking about it. 18 millions of people live in LA (more or less), the place cannot be totally bad, or they would run away from it. And everybody knows some basic facts about Los Angeles without visiting it. You can also run "cost-of-living" calculators, etc to compare salaries.

Big deal, her husband will find another (better paying) job in 6 months and moves somewhere else.

Yes it is crazy, I visited LA twice before moving.

I love LA, but not everybody does.

To move without at least visiting once for a few days is crazy. Especially when you have kids to consider.

And that goes for anyplace.

This isn't 1998, there aren't bigger and better paying jobs on every corner.

And there aren't 18 million people in LA, there aren't even 18 million people in LA County.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yes it is crazy, I visited LA twice before moving.

I love LA, but not everybody does.

To move without at least visiting once for a few days is crazy. Especially when you have kids to consider.

And that goes for anyplace.

This isn't 1998, there aren't bigger and better paying jobs on every corner.

And there aren't 18 million people in LA, there aren't even 18 million people in LA County.

You can call me crazy I got a job offer and moved to Milwaukee WI with 2 kids. I did not have any friends or relatives there, but rented a remarkably cheap apartment for 6 months over the phone in a neighborhood where schools were remarkably good (and that's all I knew about that hood).

My wife and me agreed that we will survive 6 months in any place where other people can live and move to a better place once we're more familiar with the city. I did not think it was crazy then, and didn't regret it later.

Then, several years after, my boss offered me a nice choice, either to be laid off, or to move to LA. I visited it once before moving, since it was essentially a paid vacation courtesy of the kind boss. I would accept the move without any visiting as well. I don't love LA, it did not work out for me, so I moved out. Days of slavery are long gone in USA, nowadays most of the jobs you can leave at any time at will.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 7,908 times
Wow...thanks for the one opinion I didn't ask for. You don't know our situation and besides, it's a job within his existing company with relocation options available at pretty much any time if we feel things should not work out. Plus, the company IS flying my husband and I there to visit in the next few weeks and we are free to stay put in Texas until the next location opens up if we choose to do so. We aren't tied down to California. I was just simply trying to research and get opinions of places to look BEFORE we got there. I didn't think you all needed those details because frankly, it's none of your business.

Thank you to everyone else for your help! We are able to do $4,000 if need be, so what other locations would you consider if paying that amount?

Old 07-01-2015, 02:16 PM

I'd be looking into buying a house with this kind of budget.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd1978 View Post
Wow...thanks for the one opinion I didn't ask for. You don't know our situation and besides, it's a job within his existing company with relocation options available at pretty much any time if we feel things should not work out. Plus, the company IS flying my husband and I there to visit in the next few weeks and we are free to stay put in Texas until the next location opens up if we choose to do so. We aren't tied down to California. I was just simply trying to research and get opinions of places to look BEFORE we got there. I didn't think you all needed those details because frankly, it's none of your business.

Thank you to everyone else for your help! We are able to do $4,000 if need be, so what other locations would you consider if paying that amount?
Well when you post on a board like this, that's what you get.

Besides I did suggest two locations.

And if what you just said is true, next time put that information in your original post. That makes more sense than saying "we're moving to CA but have never been there"...sheesh.

It sounds crazy to move somewhere you have never even visited, unless you're military and don't have a choice in the matter.

Which is not your case.

Regardless, best of luck.

Last edited by seain dublin; 07-01-2015 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
You can call me crazy I got a job offer and moved to Milwaukee WI with 2 kids. I did not have any friends or relatives there, but rented a remarkably cheap apartment for 6 months over the phone in a neighborhood where schools were remarkably good (and that's all I knew about that hood).

My wife and me agreed that we will survive 6 months in any place where other people can live and move to a better place once we're more familiar with the city. I did not think it was crazy then, and didn't regret it later.

Then, several years after, my boss offered me a nice choice, either to be laid off, or to move to LA. I visited it once before moving, since it was essentially a paid vacation courtesy of the kind boss. I would accept the move without any visiting as well. I don't love LA, it did not work out for me, so I moved out. Days of slavery are long gone in USA, nowadays most of the jobs you can leave at any time at will.

Well you're crazy....LOL.

Yes, people are free to leave jobs anytime they want, you're right. That doesn't mean another good paying job is waiting for them. People are still getting laid off and not finding suitable replacement jobs.

To move somewhere sight unseen to a place you have never visited is foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles