Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:18 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
No, the real difference is that Los Angeles offers more to see and do that other cities. Even our long-neglected downtown is starting to get the tour bus treatment.

Outside of Manhattan, I'd argue that nowhere in the country offers as much to see and do as this 60sq mile stretch in Los Angeles. An area not much bigger than San Francisco that features:

DTLA
Hollywood
West Hollywood/Sunset Strip
Koreatown
Melrose Avenue
Miracle Mile
Beverly Hills
Westwood
Culver City
Santa Monica
Venice

Nearby:
Griffith Park
Exposition Park
Universal City
Yeah I am starting to see the tour buses in DTLA more and more. I also see them from time to time in Pasadena, which is crazy considering the distance but not that crazy considering all that this satellite city has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdekc View Post
Maybe OP just needs a vacation. I'm sure if you live long enough in any city you will get kinda tired of it for a bit
Maybe the OP should set foot in Los Angeles before offering his opinion.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:07 AM

505 posts, read 502,484 times
I had no issue finding things to do.

Hiking in Griffith Park and the Hollywood Hills was amazing, reminded me of Oregon and I forgot I was in an urban city.

Taking the subway downtown and exploring the public library, 7th & Fig (although it didn't feel much different than any other mall), Grand Park, Little Tokyo, and Grand Central Market. I even stumbled across this neat little alley/courtyard that had a bunch of Persian(?) looking mom and pop restaurants and coffee shops.

Getting off the beaten path of Hollywood Blvd (where I was staying) and eating amazing food at St. Felix and then seeing a couple shows (for the cost of $10!) at the intimate Hotel Cafe.

I was only there 7 days, and once I got all the typical touristy stuff out of the way the VERY first day, I ended up spreading my comfort zone further and discovering some really cool things. Maybe OP needs a sense of discovery; not everything revolves around nightlife. Although the bar scene on Melrose was awesome, but I'm from the PNW so the 2am closing time didn't bother me

Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
Who cares. such trolls.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
The difference between LA and other cities : LA revolves around it's metro and lacks focus on it core.

Whereas in cities like Vegas, Miami, Chicago, New York the core is always the dominant feature of the city.

It's ok to have for example : Hollywood and Downtown LA just like South Beach and Downtown Miami.

The problem is when the core of the city is not as much focus as it's metro and surroundings.

People want a "One Stop Shop" when visiting a city, but instead what LA offers is different shops spread all around.
I don't completely agree with this diagnosis. While it is true that LA (not to mention several other Western US and Midwest US cities) developed as a chain of street car hubs and spokes, and that led to a less centralized pattern, look at cities in Asia. A number of them don't have a singular downtown but are happening nonetheless.

I think the real issue is attitudes. "OMG ... I'm gonna turn into a pumpkin at midnight!"

That is the fundamental issue.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
I think it's just a West Coast thing in general. Partying is not the forte of this part of the world, people go to bed early. It's just kinda boring out here.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I had no issue finding things to do.

Hiking in Griffith Park and the Hollywood Hills was amazing, reminded me of Oregon and I forgot I was in an urban city.

Taking the subway downtown and exploring the public library, 7th & Fig (although it didn't feel much different than any other mall), Grand Park, Little Tokyo, and Grand Central Market. I even stumbled across this neat little alley/courtyard that had a bunch of Persian(?) looking mom and pop restaurants and coffee shops.

Getting off the beaten path of Hollywood Blvd (where I was staying) and eating amazing food at St. Felix and then seeing a couple shows (for the cost of $10!) at the intimate Hotel Cafe.

I was only there 7 days, and once I got all the typical touristy stuff out of the way the VERY first day, I ended up spreading my comfort zone further and discovering some really cool things. Maybe OP needs a sense of discovery; not everything revolves around nightlife. Although the bar scene on Melrose was awesome, but I'm from the PNW so the 2am closing time didn't bother me
Ha St. Felix used to be our go-to for happy hour. I actually went there a couple weeks ago when my wife got her hair cut at Hairoin (SP?) next door. I shopped at Amoeba (I'm sure there are several Amoeba-level records stores in Des Moines though). That was pretty fun and exciting.

The Hotel Cafe is a pretty cool venue, I was there just the other day to cover a show.

Speaking of exciting, man has Hollywood boomed since I moved away. Everywhere I turn has a new conversion or construction. Even the dumpy Mark Twain SRO is getting the reno treatment. The corner of Wilcox and Selma used to house my dispensary, and now it is surrounded by upscale hotels (though the walk in clinic it was above is still there, for now.)

Old 07-16-2015, 11:36 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Nevada will have fully legal weed before California.
Yeah, a bunch of stoned loadies really makes a place "fun and exciting".

As far as the OP's statement goes, he/she obviously doesn't know where to go or what to do in LA.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Yeah, a bunch of stoned loadies really makes a place "fun and exciting".

As far as the OP's statement goes, he/she obviously doesn't know where to go or what to do in LA.
Plus if you cannot get marijuana in Los Angeles you are really messing up.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:42 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I think the point is, vs some other places especially ones in the East (and the odd out here in the West like Vegas), we do have a somewhat uptight attitude in the West regarding night time activities. My joke up here in The Bay is, the clubs empty out at 11 PM because everyone needs to be up the next day for their 7AM hot yoga / zumba / run. People don't party as hard here on the West coast as they do in some other parts of the country / world.
I think a lot of it has to do with how overworked we are here on the West Coast too, in order to pay for the high cost of living. People who work a lot generally just want to veg out during their free time. Going to the club isn't appealing after a 12 hour shift unless you are super Type A and have tons of energy.

And there is a Puritanism that's more prominent here than in other parts of the country, despite the fact we tend to be less religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles