Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:38 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I LOVED season 1 and I'm enjoying season 2, but where season 1 was a scalpel season 2 is a shotgun. All of the subtlety is gone from the writing and they're trying entirely too hard but getting weaker results. All three of the cops are just pale imitations of Cohle and every person in Los Angeles is dark and broken. It's too much.
Fair criticism for sure, but I think that the over-the-top style fits with the noir motif. I think a lot of people would be complaining if it was an attempt at recreating Season 1 frame-by-frame (not that I think that is what you are hoping for). I personally think the three cops + VV are all very different characters from Cohle, only Colin Farrell's character really has much in common (self-destructive behavior, dark background). It is nice to see a few more women characters as well, without really forcing the issue.

How did Episode 4 end in the same way in both seasons? I kinda overdid it with the booze on Sunday and forget pretty much all of the second half of the episode. I'm going to have to re-watch it soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
How did Episode 4 end in the same way in both seasons? I kinda overdid it with the booze on Sunday and forget pretty much all of the second half of the episode. I'm going to have to re-watch it soon.
Episode 4 was the one that won the Emmy last year...the 6-8 minute long take of Cohle going through those houses and engaging in the shootout. That was amazing stuff, the camera work is why that got the Emmy for Best Directing. Episode 4 of season 2 had a similar shootout that took your breath away. Not quite as impressive, but it was still good. But I think Episode 4 was the game changer in both seasons, both becoming that with the final 10 minutes of the episode.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Episode 4 was the one that won the Emmy last year...the 6-8 minute long take of Cohle going through those houses and engaging in the shootout. That was amazing stuff, the camera work is why that got the Emmy for Best Directing. Episode 4 of season 2 had a similar shootout that took your breath away. Not quite as impressive, but it was still good. But I think Episode 4 was the game changer in both seasons, both becoming that with the final 10 minutes of the episode.
Yeah like I said - I went too far that day haha. I don't really remember the shootout this season, but certainly remember last season's.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:47 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
8 episodes again. I especially liked how episode 4 of season 2 ended the same way as the 4th episode of the first season.
I noticed the same thing...but I thought the end of episode 4 in season 1 was more intense and liked it more. The end of the last episode in season 2 was still awesome though!!

Old 07-16-2015, 07:32 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah like I said - I went too far that day haha. I don't really remember the shootout this season, but certainly remember last season's.
Damn, how much did you drink? Because it was pretty memorable.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:08 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Looool!! Again, I was thinking the same thing!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
So this True Detective is a more accurate portrayal of LA than most of the other media out there? Is there a Southland mob? What is that bar with the depressing singer, and scarred waitress? Where can I find a place like that in LA?

Old 07-16-2015, 10:56 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So this True Detective is a more accurate portrayal of LA than most of the other media out there? Is there a Southland mob? What is that bar with the depressing singer, and scarred waitress? Where can I find a place like that in LA?
Season 2 is a very noirish and sober(ish) portrayal of the more corrupt cities within Los Angeles county. The fictional town of Vinci on the show is basically a 1:1 representation of Vernon.
I like to think of season 2 of True Detective like a Harry Bosch novel with all of the schlock and "dime store" doof removed and replaced with brooding and extreme violence.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That scene was straight out of Mulholland Drive. There are tons of spooky, left-in-the-past type establishments like that spread out all over Los Angeles and its surrounding suburbs.

Yes there is organized crime in Los Angeles, though it doesn't really run along racial lines (our most famous Gangster was Jewish), excepting of course the Black/Latino gangs. Not sure if there are really any Asian gangs here in LA, though I would imagine Asians are players in organized crime in LA (considering they make up a huge demographic).

Old 07-17-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I think it is more likely that I just fell asleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles