Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:28 PM

45 posts, read 41,209 times

Advertisements

Starting to map out places of possible employment. So far it's going to be either LA or Huntington Beach, though I'm shooting for LA if possible. I'll likely be looking for work as a barback in some capacity when I get out there next summer.

What part(s) of LA have the highest concentration of clubs, bars, and lounges within short distance of each other (i.e. walking distance)?

Here in Orlando our "downtown" consists of a measly four square blocks and there is a high number of venues operating in it. Very easy to go pub crawling or bar hopping on foot. Late night dining (pizza, hot dogs, Pita Pit, etc.), things of that sort.

I'd like to find a similar type of area in LA if possible so I can maximize my employment possibilities and keep them concentrated to just a few areas if possible.

Looking preferably for places open maybe seven days a week, high volume, loud as hell, maybe with a dance floor and/or anything of that nature. I'm also interested in expensive or exclusive places but realistically don't expect to be able to land work in one of those places until I get my feet wet somewhere else first...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 01:30 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,447 times
Downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood and Santa Monica. Though S.M. is a bar scene, not really a nightclub scene.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:21 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
Hollywood has the most nightclubs. In all honesty, most of the Hollywood clubs attract a fairly trashy crowd. Downtown LA has a couple good nightclubs.

If you want something at the higher end that is classier and more expensive, go to West Hollywood. More bars and lounges rather than nightclubs per se.

Huntington Beach and adjacent Newport Beach have more casual bar scenes. Decent number of pubs and dive joints with a lot more people that go out in shorts and sandals.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:46 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Downtown Santa Monica/Beach/Main St.
Hollywood along Hollywood and Sunset Blvd near Highland and Vine.
West Hollywood everywhere.. Sunset Strip, Santa Monica Blvd from Robertson to La Brea, Melrose.
Downtown in various parts (I don't know as well).

Old 07-19-2015, 04:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Downtown Santa Monica/Beach/Main St.
Hollywood along Hollywood and Sunset Blvd near Highland and Vine.
West Hollywood everywhere.. Sunset Strip, Santa Monica Blvd from Robertson to La Brea, Melrose.
Downtown in various parts (I don't know as well).
Los Feliz has quite a few dive bars close to each other. Old Town Pasadena too.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:32 PM

This is all really helpful. Thank you all.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 AM

368 posts, read 413,253 times
Definitely West Hollywood

Old 07-20-2015, 10:19 AM

64 posts, read 99,201 times
West Hollywood — gay bars. Very boring, actually.
If you want a party — go Las Vegas..

Old 07-21-2015, 01:30 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
that's all very ambitious, just to be a barback. You should at least aim for being a bartender.

LA has no "center/downtown", it has a series of like "30" small groupings of places that all want to be a mini-nightlife-scene. You'll be lucky to find work in any of them, you may not get to choose WHERE you get a job.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
that's all very ambitious, just to be a barback. You should at least aim for being a bartender.

LA has no "center/downtown", it has a series of like "30" small groupings of places that all want to be a mini-nightlife-scene. You'll be lucky to find work in any of them, you may not get to choose WHERE you get a job.
That is the long-term plan. Just being realistic. So far I'm narrowing my ideal living area to somewhere in between Hollywood and North Hollywood. Close to the airport (near a motorcycle shop I plan to work days at), not too far from the club and bar scene of Hollywood, and close to the WB/Universal/Disney studios. Want to eventually (super long-term) make some connections in the film industry (writers, mainly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles