Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:06 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
The Midwest is truly exceptional, and certainly ranks above the garbage dump called SoCal. Cost of living, standard of living, education, morals, food quality, on and on...
So you left because...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 09:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
The Midwest is truly exceptional, and certainly ranks above the garbage dump called SoCal. Cost of living, standard of living, education, morals, food quality, on and on...
Than why don't you just leave? You mentioned you lost your job(which I am sorry about that), but you don't own a home correct? Pack up the car and go, you can still collect your CA UE benefits.

I don't get why you stay(and I'm sure others on here wonder as well), unless you're divorced(which I believe you're not) and had custody issues, or you had elderly parents(but you don't because you're not from here) who were ill and you couldn't leave them.

I used to work with a woman who constantly said she wanted to leave Southern CA and go live in Virginia, but couldn't due to custody issues with her ex-husband. Her daughter is now in her early 20s and she is still here.

But why not just go? What's keeping you here?

Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Where's the Tex Mex?? I do love Cali's Mexican food but miss queso and sopapillas.

Also kolaches! If you're Czech then you know what I'm talking about.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:01 PM

28 posts, read 24,071 times
Quote:
Cost of living? Sure, it's a lot cheaper in the Midwest.
Standard of living? That's highly debatable, what with the icy winters and humid summers. That's not even touching the fact that just about every industry is leaving the Midwest. The Midwest would be on borrowed time if the auto industry hadn't been bailed out.
Education? By what standard? Los Angeles County schools are in dire straits, to be sure, but your run of the mill local school in SoCal is either above national average or bang on average.
Morals? What does that even mean? The people in the Midwest are more god-fearing? San Diego and Orange County are about as conservative and Bible-thumping as the Midwest, if not more so.
Food quality? Don't make me laugh. You have terrible taste in food. Your idea of fine dining is Red Lobster and you think corn-fed beef is of higher quality than grass-fed beef. Grass-fed beef has a superior flavor and texture because cattle are supposed to be eating grass. Corn-fed beef only has the advantage of white fat, rather than yellow, making it more aesthetically pleasing. It's worse than grass-fed in every other way. The corn being fed to cattle is GMO, chock-full of all kinds of unnatural crap. And then there's the fact that just about all food in the Midwest besides corn and chicken has to be frozen before it's sent to restaurants.

And if you hate SoCal so much then why are you still here? Just to have something to whine about? You don't have a job tethering you to the region, so what is it? Too scared to run back to Indiana with your tail between your legs? Don't want to tell all of your friends down at the dingy little bar back home about how you got s***canned and became a drooling internet troll, raving about how a geographical region screwed you rather than get back on your feet?

And how do you justify all of your hypocritical ramblings? You say every employee should be paid a living wage but oppose increases in minimum wage. You say Obama screwed you out of a job but say you could have another one in your field right now, you just aren't willing to commute for it. You say liberalism is destroying everything but you want to vote for Donald Trump, a man who was a liberal until he started flirting with the idea of being a politician. You say education is important but think every education but your own is terrible and worthless. Do you even realize how obtuse you're being or have you let your anger cloud your mind that much?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:03 PM

28 posts, read 24,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Where's the Tex Mex?? I do love Cali's Mexican food but miss queso and sopapillas.

Also kolaches! If you're Czech then you know what I'm talking about.
I've seen quite a few TexMex trucks on the West side, and a lot of the less authentic Mexican restaurants skew more TexMex than Mexican.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 PM

411 posts, read 992,727 times
909er thinks Burger King is fine food.

He's just your common troll. Let it go.

Last edited by Laggard; 07-30-2015 at 10:55 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeParfait View Post
Cost of living? Sure, it's a lot cheaper in the Midwest.
Standard of living? That's highly debatable, what with the icy winters and humid summers. That's not even touching the fact that just about every industry is leaving the Midwest. The Midwest would be on borrowed time if the auto industry hadn't been bailed out.
Education? By what standard? Los Angeles County schools are in dire straits, to be sure, but your run of the mill local school in SoCal is either above national average or bang on average.
Morals? What does that even mean? The people in the Midwest are more god-fearing? San Diego and Orange County are about as conservative and Bible-thumping as the Midwest, if not more so.
Food quality? Don't make me laugh. You have terrible taste in food. Your idea of fine dining is Red Lobster and you think corn-fed beef is of higher quality than grass-fed beef. Grass-fed beef has a superior flavor and texture because cattle are supposed to be eating grass. Corn-fed beef only has the advantage of white fat, rather than yellow, making it more aesthetically pleasing. It's worse than grass-fed in every other way. The corn being fed to cattle is GMO, chock-full of all kinds of unnatural crap. And then there's the fact that just about all food in the Midwest besides corn and chicken has to be frozen before it's sent to restaurants.

And if you hate SoCal so much then why are you still here? Just to have something to whine about? You don't have a job tethering you to the region, so what is it? Too scared to run back to Indiana with your tail between your legs? Don't want to tell all of your friends down at the dingy little bar back home about how you got s***canned and became a drooling internet troll, raving about how a geographical region screwed you rather than get back on your feet?

And how do you justify all of your hypocritical ramblings? You say every employee should be paid a living wage but oppose increases in minimum wage. You say Obama screwed you out of a job but say you could have another one in your field right now, you just aren't willing to commute for it. You say liberalism is destroying everything but you want to vote for Donald Trump, a man who was a liberal until he started flirting with the idea of being a politician. You say education is important but think every education but your own is terrible and worthless. Do you even realize how obtuse you're being or have you let your anger cloud your mind that much?
Boom.

Roasted.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,775 times
Quote:
We all know Los Angeles lacks in the food department. Sure, there are some good Mexican, Korean, and Thai spots. And In n Out. But that only goes so far. Here is my list of what is missing in Los Angeles, and there are some pretty heavy hitters on here. What say you?

Waffle House
Whataburger
Bojangles Chicken
Schlotzsky's
Culvers Butterburgers
Steak n Shake
Freddys
Happy Joes Pizza Taco Pizza! Why doesn't L.A. have taco pizza???
Pancheros
Lou Malnatis Pizza Good pizza in L.A. is impossible to find
White Castle
Perkins

Honorable mention - someone did open a Portillos in Moreno Valley, and Al's Italian Beef in Chino Hills and I believe Alhambra. But neither have the flavor of the ones in Illinois.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 AM

452 posts, read 620,046 times
Quote:
about every industry is leaving the Midwest.
False. Unemployment is lower in every Midwest state, than California.

Quote:
but your run of the mill local school in SoCal is either above national average or bang on average.
Again, false. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa constantly trade #1 in public schools. California is typically in the 30's.

Quote:
Corn-fed beef only has the advantage of white fat
You're ignorant. White fat gives the superior flavor and tenderness (marbling) that makes the beef so sought after. Let's put it this way - because every steak house in L.A. or anywhere else worth it's salt - serves Midwest prime beef. I can't put it any more clearly, it's like the Geico commercials..."it's what they do".

Quote:
I go back 4 times a year, and right now, this is fun, and you only know what I want you to know. Nothing changes the fact this region is out of whack, doesn't want to pay anybody, is overpriced, and yes Obama made it worse. And those bars rule. Hermosa Saloon is the only thing in SoCal even close to a real bar, and still isn't as good.

Quote:
Boom.

Roasted.
Really? You're lives all suck and this is the best you can come up with? I don't even consider this close to a "roast" so keep them coming. My mind hasn't changed and I'm still right.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
False. Unemployment is lower in every Midwest state, than California.

Again, false. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa constantly trade #1 in public schools. California is typically in the 30's.

You're ignorant. White fat gives the superior flavor and tenderness (marbling) that makes the beef so sought after. Let's put it this way - because every steak house in L.A. or anywhere else worth it's salt - serves Midwest prime beef. I can't put it any more clearly, it's like the Geico commercials..."it's what they do".

I go back 4 times a year, and right now, this is fun, and you only know what I want you to know. Nothing changes the fact this region is out of whack, doesn't want to pay anybody, is overpriced, and yes Obama made it worse. And those bars rule. Hermosa Saloon is the only thing in SoCal even close to a real bar, and still isn't as good.

Really? You're lives all suck and this is the best you can come up with? I don't even consider this close to a "roast" so keep them coming. My mind hasn't changed and I'm still right.
False.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles