Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:29 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
We all know Los Angeles lacks in the food department. Sure, there are some good Mexican, Korean, and Thai spots. And In n Out. But that only goes so far. Here is my list of what is missing in Los Angeles, and there are some pretty heavy hitters on here. What say you?

Waffle House
Whataburger
Bojangles Chicken
Schlotzsky's
Culvers Butterburgers
Steak n Shake
Freddys
Happy Joes Pizza Taco Pizza! Why doesn't L.A. have taco pizza???
Pancheros
Lou Malnatis Pizza Good pizza in L.A. is impossible to find
White Castle
Perkins

Honorable mention - someone did open a Portillos in Moreno Valley, and Al's Italian Beef in Chino Hills and I believe Alhambra. But neither have the flavor of the ones in Illinois.

LOLing at the fact that your "heavy hitters" restaurant list is all chains.

You seem to boast about Chicago's food. With 7,000+ restaurants here, do you honestly think we say, "gosh, I really wish we had Jack in the Box or Macaroni Grill here!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Well sure, if you can afford fancy store-bought possum. Considering OP regards Waffle House as fine dining, I'm sure he'd content himself with whatever sticks to his tires.
I remember driving from Pittsburgh through Ohio a couple years back.. There was plenty of roadkill on the streets.
Wild Caught and Organic too!....Thems Good Eatin'

Might be a good area for OP to relocate.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
Quote:
We all know Los Angeles lacks in the food department. Sure, there are some good Mexican, Korean, and Thai spots. And In n Out. But that only goes so far. Here is my list of what is missing in Los Angeles, and there are some pretty heavy hitters on here. What say you?

Waffle House - meh. Plenty of great greasy spoon diners around.
Whataburger - I lived in TX 3 years and while Whataburger isn't too bad, I'm not missing it here. Until I'm drunk and want breakfast taquitos.
Steak n Shake - pass
Freddys - There is one in Westlake Village

Honorable mention - someone did open a Portillos in Moreno Valley, and Al's Italian Beef in Chino Hills and I believe Alhambra. But neither have the flavor of the ones in Illinois.
I found myself longing for various things I could find in L.A. but not in Dallas for those long 3 years. I personally feel like L.A. doesn't lack too bad in the food department and while Dallas has 1000's of restaurants, the menus doesn't have as much variety as out here and they're just carbon copies of each other.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:17 AM

169 posts, read 152,613 times
LA is missing the deli's that New York has.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:54 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuk17 View Post
LA is missing the deli's that New York has.
Don't you mean had? The deli is an endangered species in NYC and LA.

Either way, Los Angeles still has some great ones. One author even proclaimed it the deli capital:

Save the Deli: In Search of Perfect Pastrami, Crusty Rye, and the Heart of Jewish Delicatessen

Quote:
One of David’s most startling discoveries, after he carefully likens New York to the Jerusalem of Deli, is that the best city for deli is Los Angeles. Saying in print that Los Angeles has the best pastrami sandwich? Isn’t that an invitation to a war? “But it’s the truth,” he says, “they have many great delis there, supported by the Hollywood culture. And you have to taste the pastrami at Langer’s. A different stratosphere

Old 07-30-2015, 02:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Don't you mean had? The deli is an endangered species in NYC and LA.

Either way, Los Angeles still has some great ones. One author even proclaimed it the deli capital:

Save the Deli: In Search of Perfect Pastrami, Crusty Rye, and the Heart of Jewish Delicatessen
There is a documentary about the deli business, it was pretty interesting.
DeliMan - The Official Movie Site

Lot's of the old school delis in New York closed up because of the high rents ...also just changing tastes across the country has meant a lot less delis than there used to be .

Old 07-30-2015, 02:34 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
stop feeding the troll!
But isn't that the point? The troll wants to be fed!

I'm not familiar with most of the places the OP listed, but we did experience... and I do mean EXPERIENCE a Lou Malnati's pizza! OMG! If anyone could point me to something similar in LA I'll make the drive up from Orange County!

On a pondering note however...

When my husband and I visited New Orleans, aside from all the crazy delicious fare, we grabbed a quick lunch at a place called Voodoo BBQ. It was simple and amazing! We happened to be sitting next to the owner and a few business people and overheard them talking about expanding.

I piped up and told them we were from California and their BBQ place was sure to be a hit! Well, they just started chuckling and shaking their heads and stated they would never want to "deal" with California!

Oh maaaaaan!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:39 AM

452 posts, read 619,830 times
Yes I'm tellin you! Why is it that people in CA don't get it that they are not liked outside of CA?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Yes I'm tellin you! Why is it that people in CA don't get it that they are not liked outside of CA?
And this should worry me because??

Old 07-30-2015, 09:00 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Quote:
Any native californian who has been outside of CA knows how unliked CA is. Even more so if they are from LA. I don't even like telling people where I'm from anymore because I have to hear for 15 min all the reasons they don't like LA, even if they asked me first where I'm from first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles