Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 710 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles Area:

Early 2015, I lost my job and immediately notified the management company of the condo I leased that I would stay in the property as long as I could, but if I could not find a job I would have to leave the lease early and move to another state.
I left the lease at the end of June, with 10 months remaining on the lease. The management company sent me a statement, outlining the status of my security deposit, how it has been applied, and that my balance owed is around $15K.
The very next day I found the property listed "for sale" on Zillow; there was an open house the following weekend, and now the status is showing as having a "pending offer".
Can someone advise me on what a possible outcome might be? Am I liable for just the lost rent up until the closing of the sale?

Thank You!
Gerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:17 AM

302 posts, read 453,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW15 View Post
Los Angeles Area:

Early 2015, I lost my job and immediately notified the management company of the condo I leased that I would stay in the property as long as I could, but if I could not find a job I would have to leave the lease early and move to another state.
I left the lease at the end of June, with 10 months remaining on the lease. The management company sent me a statement, outlining the status of my security deposit, how it has been applied, and that my balance owed is around $15K.
The very next day I found the property listed "for sale" on Zillow; there was an open house the following weekend, and now the status is showing as having a "pending offer".
Can someone advise me on what a possible outcome might be? Am I liable for just the lost rent up until the closing of the sale?

Thank You!
Gerry
That's going to be tough. It's dependent on what your lease says unless you worked out another agreement with the lease management company in writing, which would specifically void whatever is in the lease. Perhaps you can reach some type of settlement if they're in the right.

Most property management companies have a set amount of what it costs to get out of the lease. Some of them have 2 months rent, some have 2 months rent + Security Deposit, some will just keep your security deposit and some will try to charge you the rest of the lease, regardless if you stay there or not.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:02 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW15 View Post
Los Angeles Area:

Thank You!
Gerry
They cannot demand more than "lost rent" up to the closing date, not past that. They won't return you security deposit either (unless they're really nice people). If the sale goes fast, it's unlikely they would want to collect the lost rent from you at all (although they might), especially if you don't advertise that you have a good new job and have plenty of money.

Good luck with your job search

Old 08-10-2015, 10:56 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Legally you are responsible for the balance of the lease.
When a new owner purchases a building with tenants, he also buys any existing rental, or lease agreements still in effect.
You left with ten months due on the lease, and that is the amount the new owner is legally able to collect.
Regardless of the fact the unit gets re-rented, you still are responsible for the balance of your lease.

Bob.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:42 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
One is not allowed to rent the same unit twice, so as soon as the unit is inhabited by either a new tenant, or the owner, the guy is off the hook for sure.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:58 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Legally you are responsible for the balance of the lease.
When a new owner purchases a building with tenants, he also buys any existing rental, or lease agreements still in effect.
You left with ten months due on the lease, and that is the amount the new owner is legally able to collect.
Regardless of the fact the unit gets re-rented, you still are responsible for the balance of your lease.

Bob.
Bolded item is wrong.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:27 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
To my best knowledge, you are responsible only for the portion up until that start of a new lease/payment from the new party.

So, let's say the new owner/renter starts making payment as of 9/15/2015. You should only have to pay for the time from the last month you paid for up until September 14th 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: