Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:43 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You don't learn very quickly do you...
Yeesh. Come on guy, the reason that you can't park on the street during street cleaning hours is because your car is in the way. Doesn't matter if you are disabled or not, they can't clean where your car is parked.

I got a parking ticket in Massachusetts once (parked at a metered spot) with a rental car, and I never paid it. I have no idea what happened with that; perhaps I have a warrant in Massachusetts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:53 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
OP if you're gonna come to California you should at least respect the parking laws, disabled or not. In all likelihood it will probably only stain your CA record and stay on as a ticket that builds and builds. Maybe u wont come back, but maybe you will. Honestly, be lucky your vehicle doesnt get towed with the attitude your displaying

Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
My question is why would you assume a disabled placard would give you special treatment for anything other than proximity parking? Being upset about the first ticket is understandable - you simply didn't think to look for such a rule because there are not many places in the country that have it. But being upset about the second?

"Fool me twice..."

Old 08-12-2015, 01:21 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
That said, how did you manage to get 2 street cleaning tickets on the same street in the same week?
Parked at opposite side?

On the way back, grab a t-shirt that reads "Went to CA for treatment but all I got is bunch of parking tickets!"

Old 08-12-2015, 05:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.daywalker View Post
Thank you. I just received a SECOND ONE!
AND I'll PROBABLY get another tonight.
HOWEVER, I'm leaving tomorrow, will shake the "dust off my feet",NOT LOOK BACK,
AND >>>NEVER <<< RETURN TO THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA AGAIN!

So it's CA's fault because you see posted signs saying street cleaning no parking on a certain date and time and you park there anyway?

As CapnHawk said you get a lot of breaks with a disabled placard including no charge at meters, HOWEVER you can't park a car when street cleaning is going to occur. And you know the same exact thing would happen in AZ, or other place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That said, how did you manage to get 2 street cleaning tickets on the same street in the same week?
Parked at opposite side?

On the way back, grab a t-shirt that reads "Went to CA for treatment but all I got is bunch of parking tickets!"

Good question, makes me think this is a made up thread. And don't you ask about parking prior to driving from AZ to CA. "I have a full size Dodge Ram, it doesn't fit into some underground parking structures, what kind of parking do you have there?"

Upon being told we only have underground parking and street parking isn't allowed overnight, you say thank you and find another place to stay.

It's not like the OP couldn't have found another place to stay that had a parking lot that would be close to their appts.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:03 PM

5 posts, read 3,927 times
The owner just said "free parking" and then told me I was exempt due to placard. BTW nearest handicap pkg/meters are better than a block away. Silly me I read the sign to say - Tuesday this side, Thursday, that side...
PS We do NOT have subterranean Pkg in AZ . The bldg are required to have maximum height posted.

Her ad said "Free pkg", w no comment as to under or street pkg.
Why WOULD I think to ask, should not she ask ME, what I drives since she IS aware if the narrow, tight right turn and low clearance?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:36 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
CapnHawk is correct. The California vehicle code makes reasonable accommodations for vehicles displaying a handicap placard or tags, irregardless as to the state of issuance. For instance, you are allowed to park at a metered space without paying or park in a permit only zone. However, there are certain restrictions, such as street sweeping or overnight parking, that everyone must adhere to.

I'm sorry to hear of your disability and your unpleasant encounter with parking enforcement during your brief visit. It is your right to contest the citation. As far as I know, the citation will stay in California - for how long, I don't know. If you plan to never come back to California, you should be alright. I had several instances where I encountered a driver who had an outstanding warrant for a non-moving violation well over ten years after it was issued. I had no choice but to take them into custody.
But, the thing is, "irregardless" is not an actual word.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Her ad said "Free pkg", w no comment as to under or street pkg.
Why WOULD I think to ask, should not she ask ME, what I drives since she IS aware if the narrow, tight right turn and low clearance?
She's correct, there was "free parking". It's just a city ordinance to have alternate side parking. You have a special circumstance with your disability placard...why would it be someone else's responsibility to investigate your special circumstance?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,927 times
She was advised of the placard, and told us we "were ok" with it.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
She was advised of the placard, and told us we "were ok" with it.
Even if she misguided you (likely unknowingly), you'll lose against a fight against the city. They'll tell you to go bark up her tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles