Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 09:14 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,015 times

Advertisements

I"ve been in LA about 15 years or so. Generally I find it safe here, But:
I've had my car broken in to twice
1 friend robbed
1 friend of mine was shot and robbed
1 friend raped
1 friend robbed and pushed to the ground
1 friend's motorcycle stolen twice
A coworker was robbed, shot, and died a few days later
Another coworker was shot randomly from a moving car, he no longer has use of his hand.
These were people I knew. Maybe it is not so safe here after all.
And all of that happened in so called "Good neighborhoods".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:13 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
I was born and raised in LA. I moved to NY! Contrary to popolar belief NY is way better! People are nicer crime is lower and there is way more to do here! For those of you that think LA is cultrally diverse then you should experience NY! Ido miss those Cali beaches and that warm Cali weather though! I don't think I would ever go back! One more thing I miss is watching those LAKERS!!!! GO LAKERS!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I"ve been in LA about 15 years or so. Generally I find it safe here, But:
I've had my car broken in to twice
1 friend robbed
1 friend of mine was shot and robbed
1 friend raped
1 friend robbed and pushed to the ground
1 friend's motorcycle stolen twice
A coworker was robbed, shot, and died a few days later
Another coworker was shot randomly from a moving car, he no longer has use of his hand.
These were people I knew. Maybe it is not so safe here after all.
And all of that happened in so called "Good neighborhoods".
I lived in LA for 45 years. Only one burglary around 1982 or 1983, in Canoga Park near Fallbrook and Saticoy, boring neighborhood, not bad, not good.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I lived in LA for 45 years. Only one burglary around 1982 or 1983, in Canoga Park near Fallbrook and Saticoy, boring neighborhood, not bad, not good.
I didn't mention burglaries to my friends and neighbors because there were too many to mention.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
I respect everyones opinions, really I do, but I have tried to live in LA 3 times now and I always end up back in the midwest (2 times due to my mother's Cancer, and the last time due to a room mate crossing the line, it was either be homeless or move back to the midwest). My best memories are in California, not here where I am from. I am a dreamer, I dream about how great it will be to someday be able to move there and STAY there, perhaps after I finish my education. I am 32 and find L.A. to have everything I want and need. I really like the fact that you can walk or drive somewhere and nobody stares at you! Here in smalltown USA you have zero privacy. Everyone looks at everyone and I don't know why but that has always bugged me. I mind my own business and maybe that's why I like the L.A. mentality. I also like the fact that in L.A. I didn't see any rednecks or any of that crap we have here. It's a whole different world that I WILL someday call home...for good.
I am aware of all the nagatives. I am aware of the natives who hate it with a passion and I respect that because I hate the midwest and south with the same passion.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I respect everyones opinions, really I do, but I have tried to live in LA 3 times now and I always end up back in the midwest (2 times due to my mother's Cancer, and the last time due to a room mate crossing the line, it was either be homeless or move back to the midwest). My best memories are in California, not here where I am from. I am a dreamer, I dream about how great it will be to someday be able to move there and STAY there, perhaps after I finish my education. I am 32 and find L.A. to have everything I want and need. I really like the fact that you can walk or drive somewhere and nobody stares at you! Here in smalltown USA you have zero privacy. Everyone looks at everyone and I don't know why but that has always bugged me. I mind my own business and maybe that's why I like the L.A. mentality. I also like the fact that in L.A. I didn't see any rednecks or any of that crap we have here. It's a whole different world that I WILL someday call home...for good.
I am aware of all the nagatives. I am aware of the natives who hate it with a passion and I respect that because I hate the midwest and south with the same passion.
Hey, sorry to read that but weren't you the one who moved with your wife to L.A. a few months ago? Or am I confusing you with someone else? It's a shame you had to move back, but stuff happens. I know because I had to move back to the midwest too.

I understand what you mean about the midwest being more backwards (and in your business) as I live here too (Chicago area). My relatives who moved to L.A. are doing great there but I haven't found the luck that they've had.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
Hey, sorry to read that but weren't you the one who moved with your wife to L.A. a few months ago? Or am I confusing you with someone else? It's a shame you had to move back, but stuff happens. I know because I had to move back to the midwest too.

I understand what you mean about the midwest being more backwards (and in your business) as I live here too (Chicago area). My relatives who moved to L.A. are doing great there but I haven't found the luck that they've had.
Thanks for the kind words. I live in South Bend, about 70 miles east of Chicago so I know the area. Chicago is my little escape though just because it is a little more liberal than the Michiana area.
Yeah it was me and my wife who moved...then moved back. She don't really have the same problem "adjusting" to the midwest mentality as I do. I tend to get a little carried away with my midwest hate, she just takes it as it comes. L.A. and the midwest, two totally different worlds for sure.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Dude get on with it already and at least move to Chicago if you hate your hometown so much. I grew up on a dairy farm outside of Green Bay, WI and moved to Minneapolis when I was 21 ( now in my 40's) cause I hated the small town mentality of that area. Minneapolis has given me so many opportunities in 9-5 employment and as a musician that I could only dream of back in small town WI. Sure, it is cold as hell here, but I dress for the weather and get on with life.

I follow this board because the sister company of my job is based in Glendale, California and I communicate with that office daily. I still have a tiny little dream that maybe I will go work out there for a few years, however I know that I will be paid enough to have a decent life and wouldn't go out there without job skills (especially in this economy ). In the meantime, life in Minneapolis is still good cause the local music scene is incredible and the economy is still hanging on.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Dude get on with it already and at least move to Chicago if you hate your hometown so much. I grew up on a dairy farm outside of Green Bay, WI and moved to Minneapolis when I was 21 ( now in my 40's) cause I hated the small town mentality of that area. Minneapolis has given me so many opportunities in 9-5 employment and as a musician that I could only dream of back in small town WI. Sure, it is cold as hell here, but I dress for the weather and get on with life.

I follow this board because the sister company of my job is based in Glendale, California and I communicate with that office daily. I still have a tiny little dream that maybe I will go work out there for a few years, however I know that I will be paid enough to have a decent life and wouldn't go out there without job skills (especially in this economy ). In the meantime, life in Minneapolis is still good cause the local music scene is incredible and the economy is still hanging on.
Your right, but I'm most likely going to get my degree in Medical because those jobs are in demand in Southern California. That may be my only ticket to live there and actually be able to afford it. Chicago is a great city and I go there often, but if I'm going to move to a big city I want it to be warm.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,963 times
As a part of an interracial couple and being a minority myself, I can't live anywhere else. I've tried to do so when my wife and I lived in Santa Maria for a little over a year and, though the traffic was light, the scenery was great and the surrounding cities were very welcoming while we patronized them, Santa Maria was not a warm place towards a Salvadoran and a black woman. The cost of living was higher, there weren't too many things to do after about one year and we didn't have our family nearby. Jobs were also scarce no matter what your education level was and the pay was not as good as the ones in L.A.
If my wife and I were to leave L.A. again, we'd have to go to another area that was more tolerant and we'd lose the good weather and have to leave our family behind again. To us it's just not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles