Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
Hey, so I'm planning on making the move to LA soon and have some car related questions. I did some googling but couldnt find anything specific enough. So when I move here, about how much would it cost to get my car registered, new plates, and new license. I hear you need to do a smog check and it matters what car you drive too. I have a 2006 BMW 330 convertible. Probably a car thats a dime a dozen out in LA.

Also, what about car insurance? Here in NJ I'm paying a little over $100 a month with comprehensive and collision. It seems quotes I'm getting for Ca the lowest I can seem to pay is under $170 a month with something similar. Is this normal? For the record I am 26 (will be 27 by the time I move), car (will be) completely paid off by the time I move and I have zero driving incidents the last 5 years. No points either.

Lastly, I have personalized plates that I'd want to transfer, so I guess that will cost extra?

I'm just trying to get a nice estimate of what I need to save for when I get there. I want all of this done as soon as I get there.

Do you know where you will be living? Because the insurance rate is going to be based on zip code. Maybe it's your age but $170 a month seems on the high side.

You can't transfer personal plates, besides it sounds like cost is a concern so just get the plate they give you. I never understood that mindset. Others drivers(and especially these days) don't care if you're Jersey Boy or need to know you first name...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 08:32 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Are you saying that people can register their vehicle and get plates at AAA by joining them? I know I fully expected to camp out at the DMV when I get there, but if by simply joining AAA, I could save time?
Don't get AAA road service just for the convenience of their DMV services. I moved here from Reno last year, I had 3 cars to register. I did one at AAA, I had to wait in line and the only clerk there was very slow- total time 45 minutes. The other two I made an appointment and went to DMV, this was right after they started issuing non-resident licenses so they were really busy. From the time I got there until I was done - 1 hour.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:31 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Don't get AAA road service just for the convenience of their DMV services. I moved here from Reno last year, I had 3 cars to register. I did one at AAA, I had to wait in line and the only clerk there was very slow- total time 45 minutes. The other two I made an appointment and went to DMV, this was right after they started issuing non-resident licenses so they were really busy. From the time I got there until I was done - 1 hour.
Thanks!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Thanks!
Keep in mind that anecdotal evidence works both ways. I'd pay the AAA fee gladly again to not have to deal with the DMV. The AAA branch I used wasn't that crowded and I didn't have to make an appointment online and sit with hundreds of others and deal with a miserable person to get my plates.

Plus you get all the other benefits of AAA (roadside etc...).

Old 08-20-2015, 10:04 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Keep in mind that anecdotal evidence works both ways. I'd pay the AAA fee gladly again to not have to deal with the DMV. The AAA branch I used wasn't that crowded and I didn't have to make an appointment online and sit with hundreds of others and deal with a miserable person to get my plates.

Plus you get all the other benefits of AAA (roadside etc...).
I just bought a new Toyota Corolla with 8 yr/100k mile roadside service. I'll see how the first DMV visit goes when I arrive next year. If a AAA office is closer to me than the DMV, I think it'll be a no brainer. Plus, I think the AAA business discounts and road maps will be a good thing to have to offset annual fees.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:43 PM

317 posts, read 403,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You can't transfer personal plates, besides it sounds like cost is a concern so just get the plate they give you. I never understood that mindset. Others drivers(and especially these days) don't care if you're Jersey Boy or need to know you first name...LOL.
My personal plates have to do with the model car it is, its something only an enthusiast would understand after reading it. Its not to grab attention to everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebelle801 View Post
hey, I'm thinking of moving to LA in the next year or two and these are two links that I found really helpful as far as getting your car all set:

Best Guide For Moving to Los Angeles: Part 7

Navigating the DMV to Become a Californian | I'mMovingtoLA.com
Woh, thanks alot!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:50 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
My personal plates have to do with the model car it is, its something only an enthusiast would understand after reading it. Its not to grab attention to everyone else.
Can't be better than my '91. DRTY30.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:23 PM

317 posts, read 403,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Can't be better than my '91. DRTY30.
Ha! Nice. Love e30's. Mine is Z8CHP (ZHP e46)

Old 08-27-2015, 12:02 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
I might very well be too late, but....

I would have expected the price to be lower here, but I think it's otherwise because a pricy sports car is a target for thieves in LA.

Also, the AAA office likely is faster, but years ago when I went to one, the competence wasn't adequate.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:13 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I would have expected the price to be lower here, but I think it's otherwise because a pricy sports car is a target for thieves in LA.
I'm not an actuary nor policy rater but from working adjacent to the industry I understand it's the sheer amount of uninsured/unlicenced/undocumented drivers in LA that causes carriers to really pump up our premiums. On top of that, LA drivers spend a considerable amount of time in their vehicles compared to most major metros (thanks 101/405), and more driving time = longer exposure to risk.

Believe it or not a fancy new sports car is far less interesting to thieves than pre-2000 autos. By 2000 the majority of auto manufacturers included immobilizers in their vehicles which greatly cut down on vehicle theft. By then the majority of cars also had come with standard anti-theft systems which helped prevent break-ins, although not as nearly as impactful as the immobilizers.

Let's put it this way; My '94 Camry is broken into once a month. My Cayman has never seen a single break in. Now where is some wood so I can knock on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles