Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 AM

55 posts, read 57,390 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm in a reverse mortgage and turning 66 soon. My job looks like it will be defunct before long and I see myself collecting SS at 66. It however will not cover fully my most meager living expenses. A reverse for purchase does not allow you to take out cash payments as a reverse taken out on a home you are already in a mortgage with. So SS will be my only income. The question is, can i collect SSI along with SS and if so how would i calculate how much i would receive? I will be collection $1100 for SS. I have googled this but the answers have been confusing for a number of reasons including the fact they keep mentioning being disabled which i am not. But at one point i read the eligibility and one of them was over 65. So it seems to be saying if i'm 65 or over i'm eligable without being disabled. But all i read about it mentions being disabled. In any case all i want to know is can a non disabled 66 year old in a reverse mortgage with a monthly property tax, insurance plus MIP of about $700 and SS benefit of a bit over $1100 monthly collect SSI also and if so how much? I'M in Los Angeles county.

The other question is are there any senior benefits for California for a person in my situation such as reduction in property taxes, utilities etc? Thanks you in advance for any info you can provide...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
If 66 is your full retirement age, you are eligible for the full amount of SS retirement. People can be considered disabled at a younger age, but this is a process that must be determined by a judge. In California the process usually requires the appeal process and takes about 2 years to obtain if you are successful.
Can I receive Social Security retirement and disability benefits at the same time? - Law Office of Brendan Conley

And are you certain you know the difference between SSI and SSDI?
What Is the Difference Between Social Security Disability (SSDI) and SSI? | Disability Secrets

Old 08-24-2015, 01:40 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Seniors with low income in California can get discount on their electric bills.

California Utility Bill Assistance

I think also AT&T offers some discount via federal program for seniors with local income on their home tel. bills.

AT&T Lifeline - Low-Income Phone Service

Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 PM

You could also consider renting out a bedroom with airbnb or getting a border to get some income coming in

Old 08-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Ok, so SSI is a no go, and the discount for utilities isn't very much. So i guess i have one more question.....anyone have a link to a site that reviews pet food?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You could also consider renting out a bedroom with airbnb or getting a border to get some income coming in
Check it out, better than cat food:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/new

Old 08-24-2015, 08:22 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by direstraights View Post
Ok, so SSI is a no go, and the discount for utilities isn't very much. So i guess i have one more question.....anyone have a link to a site that reviews pet food?
Maybe this ought to be posted on the retirement forum.

My opinion wonders if people who are on the edge financialy should be supporting a pet.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Maybe this ought to be posted on the retirement forum.

My opinion wonders if people who are on the edge financialy should be supporting a pet.
Seriously? You didn't get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: