Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:55 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoyager View Post
I plan to keep my car registered in NC just to keep insurance/taxes down.
NOT a good idea at all! If you are not in your residence and there is any neighborhood emergency, like a wildfire, an earthquake, a police action, water main break, ambulances needed, etc.---and there are MANY such occurences in SoCal---the police, firefighters, or emergency personnel will NOT allow you to return to your residence without you showing your CA Driver's License with your current address that proves you live there. This is to prevent looting, looky-loos, or for your own safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 PM

15 posts, read 12,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Live in the dorm the first year you're at USC You'll meet friends that way and it will be easier to get acclimated to LA. Also, financial aid almost never covers the full cost of living off campus when you factor in things like commuting, etc. especially in an expensive place like LA.
I was thinking about living in one of the student apartments near campus because they're nicer and don't cost that much more than dorms if you break down the month to month cost. Just don't think I could handle a dorm lol. Also I'm a transfer student admitted as a junior and not many upperclassmen live in dorms. Financial aid did cover most of my tuition which I am so so so grateful for!

Old 08-28-2015, 01:02 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I'm not sure if you can legally do that. If you keep your car in California for over 30 consecutive days, you must register your car in California, and notify your insurance company of the same.

You might be able to go unnoticed, unless you're in an car accident. Then your NC insurance company might determine that you lied about where your car was used, and might void your policy. (I'm not sure about this, but I recommend you investigate the repercussions of this scenario.)
This seemed to be a tricky thing for me. I attended two colleges in CA after moving from out-of-state and I was never required to register my car in California just because I was a student. I don't think you have to unless you don't plan to go back to NC during parts of the year, and make California your permanent, year-round address.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr33

Quote:
Am I a California Resident?

You are considered a California resident if you are present in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis for 6 months or more in a 12-month period (CVC §516) and/or California is the state where:

You are registered to vote.
You are gainfully employed. Military personnel are not considered gainfully employed in California, even if they also hold a civilian job.
Your place of business is located.
Resident tuition is paid at a public institution of higher education.
Dependents attend a primary or secondary school.
Homeowner's property tax exemption is declared.
Property is leased for use as a residence.
Residence is declared to obtain a license, privilege, or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
Your current driver license was issued.
You are determined to be a resident as evidenced by acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.
You CAN register your car but I don't think you're required to if your main purpose of being in CA is as a student. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. I've been gone for 3 years, but I believe the state considers students to be transients. Go to any large university and you'll see out-of-state plates everywhere.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 PM

15 posts, read 12,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
NOT a good idea at all! If you are not in your residence and there is any neighborhood emergency, like a wildfire, an earthquake, a police action, water main break, ambulances needed, etc.---and there are MANY such occurences in SoCal---the police, firefighters, or emergency personnel will NOT allow you to return to your residence without you showing your CA Driver's License with your current address that proves you live there. This is to prevent looting, looky-loos, or for your own safety.
Well this is good info to know! I would have never thought about that. I'm probably just going to deal with it and get everything registered..don't want to risk anything.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:49 AM

55 posts, read 90,538 times
You can get away with the license plate thing if your drivers license is from the same issuing state.
I did it through college here and many many years after.
Times might be different now since CA is "broke"
It might be a pain to go back when its renewal time though.

For me, I would reconsider the whole moving to LA thing but thats just me.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:50 AM

55 posts, read 90,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
This seemed to be a tricky thing for me. I attended two colleges in CA after moving from out-of-state and I was never required to register my car in California just because I was a student. I don't think you have to unless you don't plan to go back to NC during parts of the year, and make California your permanent, year-round address.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...s/howto/htvr33

You CAN register your car but I don't think you're required to if your main purpose of being in CA is as a student. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. I've been gone for 3 years, but I believe the state considers students to be transients. Go to any large university and you'll see out-of-state plates everywhere.

I always thought that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: