Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 11:19 AM

313 posts, read 1,148,631 times

Advertisements

do people do this? what are some alternatives with the commute? we already know that metrolink picks up in Oceanside and would take a 2 hr ride into LA union station...each way. has anyone done this by car? if so how early would one need to leave for an 85 mile commute one way via hwy 5?

I know it sounds crazy...but nonetheless we are only discussing different options now...I know alot people will suggest to move closer to downtown...like OC or ventura (thousand oaks) for a family type suburban area to raise kids...we live in ventura now...and I am not impressed with it(been here 2 yrs now)and do not care to raise the kids in this type of environment...it doesnt jive with my traditional, conservative outlook...we have checked the OC too, and figured out that it would not be a worthy choice either (attitude, cost of housing, etc). So now it takes our search outside the area...where then the commute becomes more of a challenge to try to reach a balance. thanks for any feedback that could help us with our research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
My comments in suicide red

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
do people do this?

They used to. Now they are institutionalized and heavily medicated.

what are some alternatives with the commute? we already know that metrolink picks up in Oceanside and would take a 2 hr ride into LA union station...each way. has anyone done this by car? if so how early would one need to leave for an 85 mile commute one way via hwy 5?

What time does work start? Even if you commuted at 3AM, are you willing to commute almost 1.5 hours each day?
I commuted 72 miles from Thousand Oaks to Huntington Beach for about six months, took 65 minutes but I left at 5AM and the boss let me start at 6AM and leave around noon to beat traffic and telecommute from home the remaining two hours. Still, even leaving at noon it took a minimum of 90 minutes.

I know it sounds crazy...but nonetheless we are only discussing different options now...I know alot people will suggest to move closer to downtown...like OC or ventura (thousand oaks) for a family type suburban area to raise kids...we live in ventura now...

even those two places will kill you unless you work like 6-230 or something really off hours. TO is a great place to raise kids though.
What about Camarillo, Simi, or the NW San Fernando Valley (Chatsworth station) and use the Metrolink?

and I am not impressed with it(been here 2 yrs now)and do not care to raise the kids in this type of environment...it doesnt jive with my traditional, conservative outlook...we have checked the OC too, and figured out that it would not be a worthy choice either (attitude, cost of housing, etc).

I doubt you will find any place to satisfy the cost of housing issues.

So now it takes our search outside the area...where then the commute becomes more of a challenge to try to reach a balance. thanks for any feedback that could help us with our research.
What about Pasadena? (I don't know it but I read a lot of good things on CD about South Pasadena.)

By the way, what is your budget? What line of work are you in? Would you consider somewhere other than California? What are you looking for (house, townhome, rent, buy, apartment)? Kids? Ages? Does the other parent work too? Where?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Just don't do it. Seriously, don't. I agree with Charles about checking out Pasadena/South Pasadena. It would depend on your financial resources however. Maybe Burbank as well? I'm not too sure how conservative/liberal those places are however.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
for a family type suburban area to raise kids....

How about this place? You can take the Metrolink from Pomona or Ontario to downtown Los Angeles.

The Preserve at Chino

The Preserve in Chino Lifestyle

Old 01-28-2008, 03:29 AM

59 posts, read 557,687 times
When I used to work in Downtown LA, my boss lived in Aliso Viejo (Northern San Diego County on the OC border). BUT she worked from home. She came into the Los Angeles office about 5 times per YEAR.

If you're looking for new homes, good schools, family oriented neighborhoods, I would say Simi Valley and Santa Clarita are good options. What is it that you don't like about Ventura/Thousand Oaks?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 AM

I realize for an LA burb...the TO area is about as good as it gets...but it is BORING...and most the buildings around here are old and outdated...not shabby, mind you, but there is no mistaking when this area was built. I feel like I live in a bubble...and most everyone here is FROM here. Since I have moved around alot...I would like to have some transplants around...so I dont feel like I am in my element here. Not many people go to church around here...either...there's a large jewish population where I live. And I just feel there is too much influence of the almighty entertainment industry. However, the one thing I do like about the area is its close proximity to SB. I have been here for 2 yrs....and I really want more like what I had in other places there werent CA. And I am about to come to the conclusion that what I had before isnt here....and it probably wont be.

Which is why I asked my ridiculous question about living in SD just to get out of the influence of LA...doesnt seem to be much middle ground any where...it is always a question of sacrifice.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,085 times
And then you'd probably spend $400+ per month on gas alone with a 170 mile round-trip commute. And you'd probably put 40,000+ miles per year on your car. So your car would lose considerable value and you'd likely have to get a new one every 3-4 years, or sooner. All of that starts getting pretty expensive.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 AM

or close to a 2 hour train ride on the metrolink, one way.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,085 times
Quote:
or close to a 2 hour train ride on the metrolink, one way.
You also asked about driving it. My post was in regard to that.

Let's assume you get 20 days off during the year. So you work 240 days per year.

Your train time would be 2 hours each way. And then you have to get to and from the train. That could add 30+ minutes per day to your commute. So that's 4.5 hours per day commuting.

4.5 hours per day x 240 days = 1,080 hours / 8 hour work day = an additional 135 work days per year.

If you just worked a 9 hour day (with 1 hour for lunch), you would have about a 14+ hour workday everyday. What kind of life is that?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:21 AM

you know the answer is always a sacrifice when comes to living inthe greater LA area....most say it the price you pay for being in a scenic (although traffic congested, orange aired, concrete jungle IMO)...but once you get past that...you pay more in housing, gas, taxes and the like...for this "scenery" that is overpopulated. You get to a place that may be truly scenic and it is close to million dollars or more to get you in. It is insane to me to have to have a mortgage over 3000 dollars...often times for less for 2000 sq ft...unfortunately it is a reality for having a single family home.

Personally I would sacrifice all that just to be in a nice burb with a decent home under 500,000 with a decent vibe in or close by....with more importantly, NORMAL genuine people that arent so caught up in thinking that southern CA is the only place on earth. BUT...it isnt MY choice...My husband has a great job that he loves and not likely to relocate anytime soon...so I have to deal. I am not happy with that...but it is MY problem. So I will research every living option(or area) under the sun until I find SOMEthing I can make peace with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles