Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 PM

142 posts, read 754,628 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in hearing experiences about going out clubbing. I've been to L.A. on many ocasions, and I can't help to be in awe about the clubbing thing and how it works. I've been clubbing in many cities, but I've never seen what I've experienced in L.A. It seems that if you're not a celebrity or an influential person, you don't get in! I will be honest; I can't afford paying hundreds of dollars to reserve a table. I'm used to going out and paying for my drinks, or I usually get invited one or two. Well, my point is that I never have a hard time GETTING INTO the clubs. However, in L.A., it seemed almost impossible. I once went to one hotspot where celebrities hang out in Santa Monica Blvd. (I can't remember the darn name), and I only had to wait about 25 minutes. Another night, I went to Les Deux, and I only waited about 15 minutes; I didn't go in. I just observed how girls and guys had to almost beg to the bouncers and the guys with the fake lists so they could go in. I wasn't about to beg anybody to go into a club. There were plenty of hot guys and girls begging, so I guess looks didn't have much to do with it; even the barbie-looking girls were wanting access. My friend and I decided to just go have dinner instead. Anyway, when we drive around and see clubs, all we see is a bunch of people in line waiting to be let in. Of course you have those who don't get in line and go straight in. So what's the deal with all this? If you're not loaded and extremely hot, you can forget about clubbing in WeHo? Do you have any experiences (good and/or bad)? Can you recommend places? What's the earliest one must go to a club in order to not have to wait? I don't like leaving the clubs at 2:00 A.M., I like leaving earlier because I don't like driving with the drunks, so I always leave early. Anyway, it'll be interesting to read your posts.

Thanks!

(I will be moving to L.A. in July)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 PM

332 posts, read 2,149,324 times
First of all it's not a big deal... most of the highly-exclusive nightclubs are full of the same pretentious douchebags as the older ones that are easy to get into... and all clubs have the same drinks. Some you should have no problem getting into are Basque, Mood, Element, Ritual, Sugar, Shag, and Joseph's. If you really care that much about getting into the hot clubs that celebrities frequent, get there early (8-9PM), contact a promoter, and bring 3 girls for every 1 guy. A few clubs (Hyde, Area on Thursdays, Green Door) are straight up impossible to get into unless your name is on the guest list. Just to let you know, you won't feel any sense of accomplishment for longer than 3 seconds after getting into any of these clubs. You walk in and realize it looks and feels exactly the same as any other club. Celebrities typically have their own tables or are in a completely different section of the club and their bodyguards and club security won't let you get anywhere near them.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM

830 posts, read 2,859,743 times
I'll second Rats' comments. Another thing you should know is that those lines are mostly just for show. The kind of people that frequent those types of places are absolute lemmings. If they see a line, they think, "Oh wow, that must be the place to be. Let's go wait in line for two hours so we can get in just before the club closes, and then tell all of our friends on Monday how cool we are that we got into Club Douchebag." And after waiting in line for two hours, you get inside and see that the place is only half full. It's all about creating the buzz. It works and the club promoters exploit it.

I have been into those clubs, and Rats is without a doubt correct. Every club that I have been to in LA is almost exactly the same on the inside. Sure, the decor may be different, but who goes to a club for decor? The music is the same, the drinks are the same and equally expensive, the staff is just as pretentious as the crowd, etc.

Why anyone would wait in line to get into one of these places is beyond me.

Getting there early is without a doubt the best way to get in. I've even gone in with a big group of guys around 9 or so to some of these places and walked right in. That early they don't care who goes in.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:47 AM

88 posts, read 726,109 times
make sure you look like a giant inflatable barbie doll ...wear tons of make up...... and wear almost nothing and youll get in

Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
1. Figure out what kind of music you like.
2. Go to a club that plays that kind of music.
3. Ditch the rest.

Anything else is poser bull$#!t.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:39 PM

196 posts, read 920,346 times
Just look for trendier "bars" that have DJs. Basically the same thing as a nightclub without the cover/door policy BS. My friend and I walked into some place on Hollywood blvd, it was pretty cool, can't remember the name. I remember I went to The Standard on Sunset and had no problem getting in (not really a nightclub but definetly a scene, mostly just celebrity obsessed groupies tho). I would recommend going to a nightclub really early one night, chit chat with a willing bartender, tip well and just explain your situation dealing with the lines there. If they're nice they might give you a VIP card or something (happened to me once and I didn't even ask), and then you will at least have one nightclub to fall back on when you want to go out. Probably a lot easier to pull off if you're a girl.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 PM

142 posts, read 754,628 times
Thanks for all your comments :-)

I was just curious in reading about others' opinions. I agree with you all. It's not that I want to make sure I frequent the hot clubs celebrities go to, but I liked the WeHo area to go out, and being a tourist at the time, I went to where the fuzz was. I'm sure that once I'm in L.A. permanently, I actually will avoid those trendy places and will choose something more laid back where I can enjoy myself rather than try to impress anybody.

Any more comments? Keep 'em coming! :-)

Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 AM

32 posts, read 145,723 times
Can anyone recommend any clubs that play New Wave, Indie, Brit Pop, or something of that ilk? What about 60s and surf?

I'm moving to LA soon and I'd like to hit up some new places to meet a few random people in addition to my usual channels. Even more so, I just need some new places to check out music once I get there. I definitely am interested in checking out both DJ nights and shows. I have no interest in "exclusive" clubs as I find them as lame as some previous posters mentioned.

I've been to LA many times before and hit up some places, but it's hard to remember some of them as it has been years and there were always lots of drinks. I barely remember what happened ten minutes ago.

I also DJ'd in a number of clubs in LA as a guest before, but I can't remember for the life of me where. I do remember one was this electro night back in about 2003, but I kind of hated the pretentious scene even if it was a good turnout with lots of dancing. Not sure if it's still going, but maybe I can find the name somewhere buried in my stuff and see if it's still around.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
rats hit it on the head. i been to those places cuz of friends, but otherwise i would not go. thats the fake post card LA. i prefer the scene downtown. even then you have a couple snobby spots like the edison, or standard, but you will probably get in. you just might have to wait half an hour. i was never into that type of scene and especially not now. i hate lines. i hate cover charges. and i hate bouncers that take they job to seriously. if you want to find some cool spots in LA, yelp it. honest opinions there. having lived in frisco i appreciate the lounges and bars now. so chill! i rarely preoccupy myself with those other "industry" place. thats hollywood and i aint hollywood. its all hype anyways. do you really want begin your night by trying to find parking for less that 20 bones. wait way too long to pay at least 20 more $ to get into a spot and see some fake a$$ people, then pay ridiculous prices for booze and then still have to endure the fakery some more? those the folks that ask what kind of car you drive. i laugh when they ask me and i tell them the blue line to the red. most of the time they dont get it. i laugh at them. but begging is never it. unless you beggin for bread, then thas ok. but beggin to get into a club? trick please! i beg for food before that.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:58 AM

32 posts, read 145,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
rats hit it on the head. i been to those places cuz of friends, but otherwise i would not go. thats the fake post card LA. i prefer the scene downtown. even then you have a couple snobby spots like the edison, or standard, but you will probably get in. you just might have to wait half an hour. i was never into that type of scene and especially not now. i hate lines. i hate cover charges. and i hate bouncers that take they job to seriously. if you want to find some cool spots in LA, yelp it. honest opinions there. having lived in frisco i appreciate the lounges and bars now. so chill! i rarely preoccupy myself with those other "industry" place. thats hollywood and i aint hollywood. its all hype anyways. do you really want begin your night by trying to find parking for less that 20 bones. wait way too long to pay at least 20 more $ to get into a spot and see some fake a$$ people, then pay ridiculous prices for booze and then still have to endure the fakery some more? those the folks that ask what kind of car you drive. i laugh when they ask me and i tell them the blue line to the red. most of the time they dont get it. i laugh at them. but begging is never it. unless you beggin for bread, then thas ok. but beggin to get into a club? trick please! i beg for food before that.
I agree, that's why I want to know what some of the normal bars/clubs/holes are that members frequent. I'm looking for non-pretentious places that you can go to hear some good tunes and meet normal people. Anywhere they play The Smiths, Pixies, Pavement, The Cure, New Order, Ride, Pulp, JAMC or newest stuff in the same vain would be awesome if you have recommendations. I've been to some places like I am describing in LA but I never remember after I leave again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles