Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:40 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, just from the questions you ask you know little to nothing about LA, first off you don't need A/C all year round(July, Aug, Sept), second you don't seem to know the area at all.

If you were single, or a married couple with maybe one kid(and preschool age at that), I would say go for it.

And your wife wanting to work in the entertainment industry sounds nice but without connections most likely not going to happen.

When you have kids(and you have a lot of kids) you have to put their interests first, moving kids away from their friends and activities is a lot to ask.

The only opportunity I see for your kids is to be able to play outside more. Not really a reason to move.
I'd agree - LA is full of people that want to get into the entertainment industry. Chances of a SAHM of ten years in her mid 30's making it big?

I think your children will be giving u more than you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 4,940 times
Default From CA Native w/ 4 grown kids

Short answer: No, I wouldn't. So CA is not worth the downsides for a family. Except for an annual Disneyland Pass.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:53 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklewis54 View Post
Short answer: No, I wouldn't. So CA is not worth the downsides for a family. Except for an annual Disneyland Pass.
This is an insult to Angelenos who were born and raised here. I was born and raised here, I have a college degree, as well as my eldest brother, and my other two siblings are in college right now. None of us drink or do drugs, have never gotten into any serious trouble, and we're good people. Our parents are still together as well.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 1,983 times
This seems to be one of those "3 requirements, choose 2"scenarios:

1) affordable
2) good commute
3) good schools, sports access

Where's the best trade off though? I'm in the same boat with trying to fulfill #1 & #3, knowing #2 will take a hit. I just accepted a position in Santa Monica and will be starting after new year's. My large family will be joining me after the school year ends. I was considering the same places the OP is looking into, and some others.

Does no one take transit there, or is it all car-centric that the metro lines/regional rail is inefficient? I'm wondering if taking the train makes the commute more manageable.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:55 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
I'd recommend you check out Phoenix metro before deciding on metro LA since you have a family. If you can tolerate our summers, you will be able to afford a huge, comfortable home and very nice neighborhoods.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I'd recommend you check out Phoenix metro before deciding on metro LA since you have a family. If you can tolerate our summers, you will be able to afford a huge, comfortable home and very nice neighborhoods.

Your "summers" are 8 months long.

Phoenix is great in the winter. That's about it.

Better enjoy that big huge home, you're stuck inside it most of the year.

Some of us like to be outside, not prisoners of A/C most of the time.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:40 AM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your "summers" are 8 months long.

Phoenix is great in the winter. That's about it.

Better enjoy that big huge home, you're stuck inside it most of the year.

Some of us like to be outside, not prisoners of A/C most of the time.
^^^^ This.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrrrz View Post
This seems to be one of those "3 requirements, choose 2"scenarios:

1) affordable
2) good commute
3) good schools, sports access

Where's the best trade off though? I'm in the same boat with trying to fulfill #1 & #3, knowing #2 will take a hit. I just accepted a position in Santa Monica and will be starting after new year's. My large family will be joining me after the school year ends. I was considering the same places the OP is looking into, and some others.

Does no one take transit there, or is it all car-centric that the metro lines/regional rail is inefficient? I'm wondering if taking the train makes the commute more manageable.
Not enough info, like exactly what "affordable" means to YOU, renting or buying and for how much space, and how long a commute you can take

Old 12-20-2015, 11:53 AM

927 posts, read 759,455 times
Los Angeles you will drop because of the pollution. And nobody will quit driving their cars so it won't get better. You'll be adding to the problem. It averages out to owning 5 cars for every one person in LA.
Earthquakes come without warning. Its not like a hurricane where you have warning. All of a sudden everything starts shaking and you can barely stand up let alone move. You think the whole house is going to come down around you or the earth will open up and down you go. And that was a tiny earthquake, just a tremor.
A lot lot lot of people go there and don't want to work because then they won't be discovered. Whats the only two jobs you can do in this situation? Thats right, prostitution and drug dealing. Adding to the already huge problem. You'll eventually have to explain all this to your kids. On the good side, the kids will know they don't want to be in this position when they grow up.
I agree, Phoenix is so much better than Lax and Tucson is even better. Las Vegas and Phoenix are the hottest places and freezing at night, so Tucson is better. Its a different kind of heat, there's no humidity. I never experienced humidity until I went to the East Coast. 89d with humidity is absolutely horrible. There's so much water in the air. 105d in Tucson is fine. Don't need ac, have a fan. Phoenix there's a lot of water in the air because of all the stupid fountains in the gated communities.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:20 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Los Angeles you will drop because of the pollution. And nobody will quit driving their cars so it won't get better. You'll be adding to the problem. It averages out to owning 5 cars for every one person in LA.
Earthquakes come without warning. Its not like a hurricane where you have warning. All of a sudden everything starts shaking and you can barely stand up let alone move. You think the whole house is going to come down around you or the earth will open up and down you go. And that was a tiny earthquake, just a tremor.
A lot lot lot of people go there and don't want to work because then they won't be discovered. Whats the only two jobs you can do in this situation? Thats right, prostitution and drug dealing. Adding to the already huge problem. You'll eventually have to explain all this to your kids. On the good side, the kids will know they don't want to be in this position when they grow up.
I agree, Phoenix is so much better than Lax and Tucson is even better. Las Vegas and Phoenix are the hottest places and freezing at night, so Tucson is better. Its a different kind of heat, there's no humidity. I never experienced humidity until I went to the East Coast. 89d with humidity is absolutely horrible. There's so much water in the air. 105d in Tucson is fine. Don't need ac, have a fan. Phoenix there's a lot of water in the air because of all the stupid fountains in the gated communities.
this is pure comedy, thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles