Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times

Advertisements

Part of the price to pay if you really want to live. I do really want to live there, and I assume that it's going to cost much, much more than my home I own in Alabama. Or rather, the BANK owns, and I pay rent to. WHICH IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING when you RENT an apartment or another owners home.

For those of us not born into wealth or getting multi-million dollar signing bonuses, we will not, nor should we, be shut out of an entire state. It's nice, but it isn't that special. I'll move there, just like the OP, if I want to. And if I can make the budget work, I'll enjoy the heck out of it.

So much outright rightous indignation on C-D these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 03:36 PM

360 posts, read 712,813 times
I just bought a 2 bed condo in the Santa Monica for $445k, monthly payments with HOA, taxes and insurance are $2600. I'm in the Pico Neighborhood, which is the least desirable neighborhood in Santa Monica, but it's plenty safe and I bought it from a family who was living there before me for 10+ years. It can be done.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:05 PM

25 posts, read 30,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Calabasas may be possible IF you live on the east end of Calabasas near Topanga Canyon (the route to the ocean/Pacific Coast Highway), and IF the job is close to the ocean and on the north end of Santa Monica or near a fast route to PCH. The school district is superior.

Las Virgenes Unified School District - Home
This.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:11 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlaiveGuy View Post
Maybe a better question is: Where do people who work in Santa Monica who have families generally live?
You're on the right track, you just need to adjust your rental budget to reflect the reality of this area. It's literally one of the most expensive places to live in the entire country. Spend some time on Craigslist or West Side Rentals to get a realistic idea of the going rents in this area. If you're expecting to get a 2000 square foot 3BR townhouse for <$3k a month, well, can I interest you in Riverside? Santa Monica, Brentwood, Venice, West LA, Mar Vista and Culver City are all going to be possibilities. You'll just pay more for less space in the most desirable areas. People live in the valley when they want "affordable" housing but trade lower housing costs for longer commutes.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,874 times
Quote:
Maybe a better question is: Where do people who work in Santa Monica who have families generally live?
I used to work in West LA near Santa Monica. The people with children at that company lived all over. The nearby ones lived in West LA, Sherman Oaks, Mid-City, West Adams, Brentwood, and (the slums of) Beverly Hills. The far away ones lived in South Gate, Palmdale, and Diamond Bar.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
Quote:
Research has pointed to Culver City, West LA, or Mar Vista as locations within our price range with a few smaller units in Santa Monica itself possibly. Further out locations like Calabasas or Thousand oaks seem like they’d be too long a drive.
Nicest cities first...
1. Santa Monica
2. Mar Vista
3. West LA
4. Culver City (kind of a dump in my opinion. Too close to the 'hood.)

Calabasas and Thousand Oaks are both really nice and clean! However you get the Valley heat up there. I think the long drive would drive you insane. Not exactly 100% safe to traverse Topanga Canyon or Malibu Canyon road twice a day either.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:57 AM

202 posts, read 198,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I just bought a 2 bed condo in the Santa Monica for $445k, monthly payments with HOA, taxes and insurance are $2600. I'm in the Pico Neighborhood, which is the least desirable neighborhood in Santa Monica, but it's plenty safe and I bought it from a family who was living there before me for 10+ years. It can be done.
OMG, are you for real? How big is your condo? 1200, 1400, 1500 sq ft? how old? Sorry for my sudden burst of questions as zillow returns zero results even with 600k max limit, plz inbox your realtor info

Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 AM

202 posts, read 198,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I used to work in West LA near Santa Monica. The people with children at that company lived all over. The nearby ones lived in West LA, Sherman Oaks, Mid-City, West Adams, Brentwood, and (the slums of) Beverly Hills. The far away ones lived in South Gate, Palmdale, and Diamond Bar.
Damn...diamond bar, their lives were literally wasted in their cars on weekdays

Old 10-16-2015, 07:29 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
I have a possibility of a job at a great company in Santa Monica. Assuming I’d like to keep my commute to 40 minutes or less, where is a good place for a young family to live?
Did you mean a 40 minute commute or less round trip or one way?

There's a thread here about someone who appears to be in your age group who bought a condo in Santa Monica recently; granted, he said it was a fixer, but there's nothing wrong with that. Will look for that thread.

Edit: here it is; scroll to the last few pages (p.23). //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...buy-house.html

Old 10-16-2015, 08:27 AM

40 posts, read 64,444 times
40 minutes each way is about my maximum. I've been doing 70-80 minutes each way for over a year where I am and it is driving me insane to both be in my car so long and also see so little of my son.

Appreciate the advice everyone! I think the name of the game is to leverage my income to rent a nice house in/near my job and save/increase my income til I can afford to buy something close (or life situation once more changes).

For the record I am coming from Fairfield County, CT so I am well acquainted with high cost of living :-)

I've see reccos for WestSideRentals, are there any other good sites to find rental listings in/near Santa Monica? I've used Zillow already.

Of course this is all subject to me actually being OFFERED the job, but I'm the type who likes to have all the information at hand haha.

Thanks again!

GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles