Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 AM

578 posts, read 568,943 times

Advertisements

I have a day to spend in LA. One of the things I was hoping to do was to visit Griffith park/observatory.

However, I have heard that it can get really crowded on weekends, and this would have to be a Saturday. If I am going to be getting there around 5 or 6, how crowded will it be - will the crowds have dwindled for the day, or do they get heavier in the evening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Griffith Park is pretty big, so it depends where you are. The area around the observatory is typically the most crowded. But the hiking trails and the parking lots for them are not too bad. (Merry go round lot of Crystal Springs, Fern Dell, etc.) but yeah, if you want to go to the observatory, it might be hard finding a close spot.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:59 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I have a day to spend in LA. One of the things I was hoping to do was to visit Griffith park/observatory.

However, I have heard that it can get really crowded on weekends, and this would have to be a Saturday. If I am going to be getting there around 5 or 6, how crowded will it be - will the crowds have dwindled for the day, or do they get heavier in the evening?

Griffith Park is almost 5,000 acres. I was just there yesterday. Hardly saw anyone.

Now there were people up at the Observatory(which is closed on Mondays) but had no problem parking. Nice and clear, you could see the ocean.

It's already dark by the time you're going, you won't see anything of the actual park. If you want a view of LA there are other places to go get a good nighttime view. Mulholland Drive for one.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:37 AM

578 posts, read 568,943 times
Sorry, I guess I could have made that clearer - The main attraction is the observatory and planetarium. The extras are the view and the telescopes.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:56 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,209 times
Saturday and sundays are the most crowded days of the week. I go at least once every month all year to take photos or light hiking. I usually start a couple hours before sunset and leave just after dark. I go mostly Saturdays or Sundays. There is never a time all year when it is light during the before and after sunset hours and now sun sets around 4:30-5pm. You have to go early or near closing. Crowded is relative. It is not like there is a line to see any sites inside like the moon phases, the planets and meteors (except the planetarium ticket line and show line to get the best seats). To see the telescope, youll wait until dark and cloud free skies when it opens. People take 20-30 seconds to look at eyepiece and multiple that by 100+waiting people and thats how long youll wait to see. Best to go and see the city and Hollywood sign when there is daylight. After dark youll have a hard time getting a picture of the city unless you do night photography. The Hollywood sign is never lit so you wont see it at night.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:44 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
If you're going on the weekend you can catch the bus at the Vermont/Sunset station. It's .50 cents and takes you right to the front of the observatory.

Highly recommend parking and jumping on the bus. The cops usually close off the road that leads right up to the observatory once parking becomes impossible.

It's just a huge hassle.

Also, it's packed all day on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: