Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times

Advertisements

All that money could be used for an expansive light rail system.

Imagine a rail line circling the SFV with the orange line being converted to rail and north south lines on each end of the valley as well as along sepulveda, Van Nuys, and Tampa or Balboa.

And then running all the way down Sepulveda into the South Bay and eventually connecting along the way with the green line and the blue line in long beach. And finally a rail line along Santa Monica Bl and eventually connecting with the purple line. I'm sure there's a few other lines that would work well too.

It wouldn't alleviate traffic. Too many la residents are unreasonably stubborn to take public transportation. But at least it would provide better options for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:21 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
The reason were unreasonably stubborn to take public transportation is because it takes 3 or 4 times longer than driving.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:10 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The reason were unreasonably stubborn to take public transportation is because it takes 3 or 4 times longer than driving.

Sometimes, yes. That's the case. Other times, it takes just as long with the traffic.

Most of the explanation lies with the hassle factor. Who wants to take the Blue line and transfer to the 108 bus, then wait for the Silver line, which transfers to the Mauve line, where you connect to the 666 bus and then.....

EFFFF that. Too onerous.

Even with the headache of traffic, a personal vehicle is still far, far more convenient if for no other reason than the perception of "being in control".

The reason I advocate tolls BTW has nothing to do with further enriching the state (a completely separate issue) so much as using it as a means to discourage excessive, frivolous, and single vehicle driving during "peak" times. Perhaps the State could also encourage if not mandate telecommuting.

But again, the car dealers, oil and tire companies, etc would also be in a fervor over that.

-Again, a separate topic.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:21 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
Transit has its place. Not every person can/should/must drive.

Building freeways everywhere is definitely not where we should be heading.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 AM

399 posts, read 728,566 times
The managed arterial over/underpass might have some merit at very busy intersections. Down here where I live, in Broward County, Florida, there are two of those that I know of:

1). Sunrise Blvd and US 441 (State Road 7):

https://goo.gl/maps/qGpQG8dZZws

2). US 441/State Road 7 and Sample Road:

https://goo.gl/maps/uPxugS3LYtu

Oh, almost forgot, there's one in Aventura in NE Miami-Dade County (Ives Dair Road & Biscayne Blvd (US 1)):

https://goo.gl/maps/UPsdEkQQzpM2

This last one is handy because it also provides a grade-separated crossing of the Florida East Coast Railroad tracks, which will host the Brightline (All Aboard Florida) train from Miami to Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and Orlando in a couple of years.

One thing, the construction for this will be a b*tch for traffic, but probably well worth it afterwards.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Depends. The rail and subway lines are generally faster than driving. Buses take WAY longer though traffic is bad enough now that the express busses like the silver line and the orange line are close to taking the same length of time.

The real problem I have is people who sit in hideous traffic rather than utilize the red, gold, and expo lines. The 101 south into downtown is now a real beast between about 7 am and 8pm. The redline from north Hollywood to union station is about 45 minutes and if your business is in downtown it's a ridiculously better option than driving. Yet the 101 is just flooded with cars. That's the unreasonable stubbornness I speak of. Obv if only bus lines are convinient for you, yeah driving is better

Old 11-20-2015, 10:19 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
Here's the Bonkers, $700-Billion Libertarian Plan to Fix Los Angeles Traffic - Car Culture - Curbed LA

thoughts????

my preliminary thought is at least we will have more options....we all know our current freeway system is unsustainable for the amount of people we have.....
Brought to you by Joel Kotkin, with funding from the Western States Petroleum Association.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:21 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Freeways are the past.

Yes we need solid infrastructure.

However, electric/autonomous cars are the future.

If all cars were autonomous and were able to "talk" to each other, that would eliminate all if not most accidents. It would also eliminate traffic jams as cars would move at a higher average speed.

Also, if all cars were autonomous you could create smaller cars that take up less road space. You could fit more on the road.

Traffic cops could then be used for actual policing.

Granted this might not ever happen and is probably WAY off topic, however I believe we should be focusing our efforts more on the mode of transport rather than building more and more miles of antiquated freeways that are 1. Not free, or 2. don't really solve anything.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:26 AM

27 posts, read 33,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Sometimes, yes. That's the case. Other times, it takes just as long with the traffic.

Most of the explanation lies with the hassle factor. Who wants to take the Blue line and transfer to the 108 bus, then wait for the Silver line, which transfers to the Mauve line, where you connect to the 666 bus and then.....

EFFFF that. Too onerous.

Even with the headache of traffic, a personal vehicle is still far, far more convenient if for no other reason than the perception of "being in control".

The reason I advocate tolls BTW has nothing to do with further enriching the state (a completely separate issue) so much as using it as a means to discourage excessive, frivolous, and single vehicle driving during "peak" times. Perhaps the State could also encourage if not mandate telecommuting.

But again, the car dealers, oil and tire companies, etc would also be in a fervor over that.

-Again, a separate topic.
The bold line seems like the easiest/quickest solution. Could you imagine if everyone had to carpool to and from work? We're talking about half the amount of cars you currently see right now. Chances of this happening, probably 2%. I see the same one person cars everyday at the same time while me and the wife are in the carpool lane, mostly because they stand out (who wants a purple car?) and I know i'm not the only one. Talk to your co-workers, find out who lives within 10 min of you and try it out. Heck half the time either me or my wife is knocked out in the passenger seat.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:49 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I vote for moving sidewalks with chairs for the infirm. And you only go to work on days it doesn't rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles