Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 05:48 PM

12 posts, read 25,363 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job in Burbank. We currently live in OC. What are some areas to consider moving to? Top priorities are safety and living close to designated bike paths. We can pay up to 2K/month for rent. We like the idea of being closer to all the great museums and restaurants in LA county, but I'm a country girl at heart and am intrigued by Santa Clarita. We are avid bikers. My hubby would prefer less than a 45 min. commute. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 07:32 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Burbank, Glendale, La Crescenta, La Canada, Montrose, Pasadena, Sierra Madre

Old 11-25-2015, 09:20 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
I'm originally from OC, work in Burbank, and love cycling so I feel like I can be of some assistance. With a 45 minute commute tolerance, that will give you a roughly 15 mile radius to work with. With that said, Burbank has a nice bike path along Chandler which connects to the orange line bike path that take you across the valley to woodland hills then up to Canoga park. There's also some nearby cycling at Griffith park. If you're a more serious cycler, there are some great mountain roads just outside of calabasas. Your budget should afford you a nice 1br in most areas near Burbank except for maybe studio city, so you have plenty of options. Santa Clarita is too far in my opinion. I wouldn't do it, but I can see the allure of the master planned, cookie cutter communities if that's your preference.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the info, BRinSM. We're hoping to drive around all these areas this weekend. Are there any designated bike paths in Pasadena other than the Arroyo, which seems really short? I'm not a mountain biker or a "serious" biker. But I live by the Aliso Creek Trail in OC and have become spoiled by it.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:54 AM

Im also a road cyclist. I do a lot of riding in the areas I mentioned. There are tons of cyclists on the road. You can even find group rides on weekday afternoons. There are plenty of designated bike paths in all those areas but also safe riding without marked lanes. Drivers are used to cyclists and a little more respectfull of them then in other areas of LA. We rent a nice 2 bed/2 bath for $1800 in Glendale. Join Pasadena Athletic Association bike club at least for a year. Lots of rides and active members

Old 11-26-2015, 09:01 PM

Hi ryanms3030, good to know, but I am terribly nervous about biking on streets with cars. Even when there is a designated bike lane!

Old 11-28-2015, 11:58 PM

We drove to Valencia, Santa Clarita and Burbank today to check out apartments. We are having a hard time finding an apartment in Burbank/Glendale that is at least 800 square feet, under 2200 and in a safe area... Not sure about Santa Clarita, Valencia was preferable but further. What about Chatsworth or Woodland Hills?

Old 11-29-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britomart View Post
We drove to Valencia, Santa Clarita and Burbank today to check out apartments. We are having a hard time finding an apartment in Burbank/Glendale that is at least 800 square feet, under 2200 and in a safe area... Not sure about Santa Clarita, Valencia was preferable but further. What about Chatsworth or Woodland Hills?
First off there really is not an unsafe area of burbank or glendale. They are two of the safest cities in the country with very low crime rates. When I was apartment hunting about 6 months ago I saw several 2 bed / 2 bath for $1600-1800. The good places did go off the market fast. And riding my bike today I did see a lot of for rent signs. It took me 2-3 weeks of looking to find the place we got. Obviously not as easy if you aren't local though

Old 11-29-2015, 09:12 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Chatsworth and woodland hills are generally nice areas, but you're looking at close to an hour commute to/from Burbank. Actually, if the job is in the downtown Burbank area as opposed to the media district, chatsworth is probably a relatively painless commute on the 118 and 5 freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles