Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 12:12 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

OP something like this might be good
One BR, 650 sqft, $1,275 - One BR

About a mile or under 20 minute walk to the NoHo Redline station which opens up a lot of the city to you.

North Hollywood and the valley is improving , NoHo arts is already pretty hip, but new places keep opening up. It's a pretty young feeling area as there are a lot of actors (or wanna be ones) , dancers , models, and students in the area.

It's just not as well publicized nationwide as Echo Park or Silverlake or Downtown L.A or the Westside.

I'd probably rent somewhere like that if I was looking for cheapish rent in L.A

Nearby Studio City/Sherman Oaks have also been improving in terms of dining options,etc..

Nobody can predict how much rents will go up, it's speculation. Even someone that has been in the real estate business for 50 years won't be able to tell you for sure.
One thing for sure though is they are unlikely to go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
This may be a good thread to ask this in....I didn't want to look like a newbie and post a new thread about it so I'll chime in here. I'm moving back to LA in a few months and I'm finding that LA Craigslist is much more unreliable than I remember it being in the past (I left 3 years ago). I've used Craigslist in LA, San Diego, South Florida and Nashville and in the past had no problems. But LA seems like there's more BS and duplicate postings and things like that than other cities. So, where would you guys suggest maybe I look? I'm trying to move into a place that's already set up and just move in with roommates like I've successfully done every time before. I haven't done this in a few years. I know there's Westside Rentals but, any other suggestions?

Old 12-11-2015, 12:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
This may be a good thread to ask this in....I didn't want to look like a newbie and post a new thread about it so I'll chime in here. I'm moving back to LA in a few months and I'm finding that LA Craigslist is much more unreliable than I remember it being in the past (I left 3 years ago). I've used Craigslist in LA, San Diego, South Florida and Nashville and in the past had no problems. But LA seems like there's more BS and duplicate postings and things like that than other cities. So, where would you guys suggest maybe I look? I'm trying to move into a place that's already set up and just move in with roommates like I've successfully done every time before. I haven't done this in a few years. I know there's Westside Rentals but, any other suggestions?
Have you tried this site? I'm not actively looking for a rental..but sometimes browse just to see
Apartments for Rent: #1 Finder & Guide | Apartments.com
It's a pretty sleek site and doesn't look like it has all the BS of craigslist today
I actually think craigslist has gonedown hill at least in L.A
Like in the car section it just seems to be a lot of car dealers or people trying to flip cars with salvage titles.
Probably as the site has grown they haven't been able to keep up with moderating the site or don't want to spend on the staff for it.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:52 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Have you tried this site? I'm not actively looking for a rental..but sometimes browse just to see
Apartments for Rent: #1 Finder & Guide | Apartments.com
It's a pretty sleek site and doesn't look like it has all the BS of craigslist today
I actually think craigslist has gonedown hill at least in L.A
Like in the car section it just seems to be a lot of car dealers or people trying to flip cars with salvage titles.
Probably as the site has grown they haven't been able to keep up with moderating the site or don't want to spend on the staff for it.
I knew they were rebuilding the site but that's the first time I've seen it in awhile. Pretty nice looking now.

One problem I run into (and probably why I'm always so reliant on Craigslist) is that I always look to save money and move in with someone who's looking for a roommate. I have good common sense with who is and isn't legit and it's always worked out for me, but as you said...Craigslist seems to have gone downhill. But it seems like just LA from what I've looked at. I looked at San Diego for example and there's ads where I would reply to right away if that's where I was going. However on LA Craigslist it seems to be unrelenting BS ads and ones my sense doesn't feel is very good about. Oh well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:37 PM

121 posts, read 102,197 times
You probably could find a place decent in the valley at $1400 a month if you really look and act quickly. I just checked Craigslist and entered $1400 and yeah most of the parts of town that were on there I wouldn't want to live in (Reseda, Winnetka, and Van Nuys). Tarzana did pop up (it's probably more the Reseda side though which isn't that bad) along with some places in North Hollywood.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:24 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You've posted a few threads about getting rent this cheap. It just can't be done. Rents in LA are continually rising. If you want those prices, I wouldn't move to LA. Have you considered moving somewhere else that would be more affordable for you?

How long did you actually live in LA? Wasn't it like 6 months? You're in FL. No offense, but you have very little knowledge on LA.

Most people moving to any city, want what the OP wants, as much bang for their buck as they can get.

You do say later on(and you're right)that you need to know where you will be working before finding a place to live, but LA is not as out of reach as you like to make it.

And I got news for you, rents are rising everywhere, not just LA or CA.

You don't hear "move to Tampa, rents are decreasing".

Old 12-12-2015, 09:32 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Torrance isn't LA. People that move from out of state will be pretty disappointed of they end up in Torrance. The more desirable areas are inflated and rents are rising at unsustainable rates.
I'm not sure how you would get that Torrance is less desirable than SFV which OP specifically asked about.

Other than being close to Hollywood, and other than parts of Sherman oaks and encino being closer to Santa Monica, there's no other way in which SFV is better than Torrance.

Torrance has better beach access, way better weather, better public schools, better shopping access than most of SFV and probably a better ethnic mix as well. Same distances to downtown and west side. Maybe even better food if you discount the crap chains in Torrance itself and focus on the fantastic Mexican food in nearby towns, the awesome Japanese and Korean food in Gardena, and the small upscale places in neighboring Manhattan and Redondo Beach.

Yeah, Torrance isn't living in the city, but then neither is anywhere in SFV.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:45 AM

71 posts, read 60,910 times
Cheap in LA, only if it's a dorm room.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:05 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How long did you actually live in LA? Wasn't it like 6 months? You're in FL. No offense, but you have very little knowledge on LA.

Most people moving to any city, want what the OP wants, as much bang for their buck as they can get.

You do say later on(and you're right)that you need to know where you will be working before finding a place to live, but LA is not as out of reach as you like to make it.

And I got news for you, rents are rising everywhere, not just LA or CA.

You don't hear "move to Tampa, rents are decreasing".
No, I don't live in FL...but thanks for trying to lower my knowledge of LA. I also lived in LA longer than 6 months, so please try again. Get a grip.

It doesn't change the fact that many people move to cities they can't afford, and are shocked at the rent prices when they get there, and they have to sacrifice so much. The OP was asking about 2 bedrooms for that price and is now willing to go down to a 1 bedroom for 2 people and doesn't care where in LA it is as long as it's within his budget. Does that sound worth it to oyu?

Old 12-12-2015, 06:40 PM

70 posts, read 117,064 times
It dosent really matter where i live in the city, i just prefer something close enough to west LA where i would be working (Culver City). Now that i know i wouldnt find much for my price range in west la i will compromise. I have heard inglewood isnt such a bad place anymore. Im not too woried about crime tho in general. What do you rhink of inglewood and the COL there? Remember at least a 1BR for around $1400

Last edited by bahiabrazil; 12-12-2015 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Spell Check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles