Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 02:17 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,448 times

Advertisements

In July 2015 I moved from Encino,CA to Seattle,WA all alone. Here in Seattle I have a apartment lease that ends in July 2016. Here in Seattle I pay $1200 a month for a one bedroom apartment that was built in 1991. My apartment rent includes trash,water, power and all other utilities. My apartment in Seattle is interior corridors and has a swimming pool and onsite management office. My seattle apartment also has a fireplace and deck overlooking a garden.

Here in Seattle I have a job currently.

I'm a 34 year old Caucasian single male who grew up in Encino and I lived in my parents house until July 2015.

Here in Seattle I don't own a car and use public transport which works fine for me.

I'm very happy with my Seattle job and the safe neighborhood of my Seattle apartment.

My girlfriend and male friends are begging me every day to move back to LA. I explain to my girlfriend and male friends over and over again that I'm unable to afford to live in the valley or westside on a $1200 a month budget.

As a matter of fact I'm in the process of buying a condo in a safe area of Seattle for $250,000 for a 2 bedroom 2 bath that was built in 2002. I have already been approved for the loan.

Here is my question which is if I were to leave Seattle and move back to LA could I get an apartment comparable to what I'm paying in Seattle in a safe area?

I refuse to live with roomates and refuse to live in Panorama City, Reseda or Van Nuys. I also refuse to move back in with my parents in Encino.

I'm at the risk of losing my girlfriend in LA if I stay in Seattle.

Even though I don't have any friends in Seattle I'm very happy living in Seattle.

My neighborhood is perfect in Seattle. Within walking distance is a QFC fresh fare market which is the same store as Ralphs Fresh Fare in LA. I live walking distance to a Target,Best Buy, a large shopping mall with a macys/Nordstrom/jcpenny, Barnes and noble, stadium moive theater. To get to pikes place market or downtown Seattle I walk one block to the express bus which takes 10 minutes.

My girlfriend and male friends don't understand that LA has become unaffordable for housing. My girlfriend is age 33 and lives with her parents in Valencia.

Here in Seattle I don't need a car. If I moved back to LA I would need to make payments on a car to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 04:38 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
If you move back to LA you won't have a job so youll be back living with your parents so it doesn't matter. But you aren't going to find any one bedrooms for $1200 these days. Sounds like you have built a great life in a year so I would stay and find a new girlfriend.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:05 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
I knew Seattle was cheaper than LA but $250,000 for a two bedroom condo that was built as recently as 2002 is pretty amazing. Good luck finding that in LA. I could never live in Seattle (weather) but sounds like you should stay.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I knew Seattle was cheaper than LA but $250,000 for a two bedroom condo that was built as recently as 2002 is pretty amazing. Good luck finding that in LA. I could never live in Seattle (weather) but sounds like you should stay.
What's wrong with the weather?

Old 01-02-2016, 08:39 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I think you need a new girlfriend.

You'd have to rent a room for $1,200 a month, or possibly get a tiny single in a bad area if you want to move back here.

Does your girlfriend want to live with her parents forever? That doesn't seem sustainable if you ever want to have kids, etc.

Edited to add: I just read some of your other posts. I didn't realize that you hadn't made any friends in Seattle. That makes things a little more difficult. How happy are you right now? Do you think you'd be happier if you moved back to L.A.?

Old 01-02-2016, 10:15 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
If you lived in LA your whole life like you said, you know full well you cant get something nice for $1200/month. Now go back to the Seattle forum and its 8 months of rain. Shoo.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:46 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
As a matter of fact I'm in the process of buying a condo in a safe area of Seattle for $250,000 for a 2 bedroom 2 bath that was built in 2002. I have already been approved for the loan.

My girlfriend is age 33 and lives with her parents in Valencia.
If you are in the process of buying a condo why would you even consider moving back to LA with no job?

Either she moves in with you and you support her or you find a new girlfriend.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:56 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
What's wrong with the weather?
I am sure you are kidding....but between October and April, Seattle is mostly or partly cloudy six out of every seven days. And cold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Climate

Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I agree with getting a new girl friend. What's wrong with Van Nuys and Reseda?

Old 01-02-2016, 12:37 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
You sound extremely happy with your situation in Seattle, not to mention secure. Tell your girlfriend that if she truly cared for you she would be asking if you wanted her to move to Seattle with you, where you could both build a good foundation. Then, down the road, look into moving back to LA on more secure footing.

If she insists you move to LA, with all due respect, dump her, free yourself, and continue building your future in Seattle for now. Is it safe to say you do not date presently in Seattle because of your LA girlfriend? That might be limiting your social connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles