Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:30 PM

601 posts, read 755,981 times

Advertisements

No landlord would give you permission for an airbnb. Not a chance in hell.

Fyi, I've always had more luck looking on weekdays. Fridays especially. It's quite frustrating, actually - lots of landlords don't bother to show/pick up the damn phone/answer emails on the weekend at all, even though this is the most convenient and logical time for a potential tenant to visit without skipping work. Wouldn't you prefer a tenant with a full time M-F job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 06:43 PM

242 posts, read 493,649 times
Apartment hunting is madness here!

After seeing no listings early on, I finally saw a few. I was worried about being homeless, so I put in an application on the first decent place. Application took a while because of the holiday weekend and other factors. While waiting for that one, I put in another application on a better place.

The second place for back to me with a yes, but with a new move in date that does not work. Then I scheduled a viewing for yet another place. Finally the first place came back with a yes.

Now I like the last place best! Still have yet to put in an application, which is online and takes only a few hours. The rent is $100 more, which is within my budget.

Truth is, I do not remember the first place too much. The property manager was sick, so I felt bad keeping her there. When I dropped off the application, I assumed it would be at the apartment, but instead I went to another office.

Have an appointment tomorrow to sign the lease. Maybe that apartment works. What would you do? Options are to pay the $40 application fee in the new place and see the first apartment at the signing, just get the first one, or not put in an application on the last place and see the first one. Should I be honest with the property manager of the first place about my doubts? I hate to be a flake.

Sorry for rambling.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Go with the best you can afford. I'd not sign on one I vaguely remember.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
Well, the answer for now is too wait since I did not find a place. I set aside this past weekend to look at apartments and I saw a grand total of three. One I did not care for (not actually in the area I want to be in), another was a bit too expensive for what it offered and another was available now.

There are far more 2 bedroom apartments available. I am considering getting one and renting the other room out on Airbnb for 4-5 days a month to cover the additional cost in rent.
You make absolutely no sense. You're whining about having to pay double rent for a month, but you will be paying more for a two bedroom in the long run, and you're not going to be allowed to use the apartment as Airbnb.

Even if you could, do you really want strangers in your place?

It's almost impossible to time it even if you already lived here to not pay rent in two places, the only way around that was if you moved in with someone who had a place and needed a new roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles