Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:37 PM

31 posts, read 47,748 times

Advertisements

By know I'm sure most of you have heard that the Rams (possibly the Chargers at a later date) are officially moving to the proposed Inglewood stadium.

My husband and I own a home in Inglewood and are interested to see how this will affect our property value and the surrounding area. I am obviously hoping for a positive outcome, but do you think this could have a negative impact on the surrounding areas/homes?

Also, what do you think are the first changes likely to occur in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 02:39 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbs339 View Post
By know I'm sure most of you have heard that the Rams (possibly the Chargers at a later date)are officially moving to the proposed Inglewood stadium.
Don't forget Raiders possibly.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:09 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
I'm not aware of a stadium anywhere in this country raising residential property values. Nobody prefers to live near a stadium.
If the value of residential property was high before the stadium then at best the stadium will not lower the values, but it's Inglewood and near the flight path of LAX.
However, commercial property may rise in value. Or it may not.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:17 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I'm not aware of a stadium anywhere in this country raising residential property values. Nobody prefers to live near a stadium.
If the value of residential property was high before the stadium then at best the stadium will not lower the values, but it's Inglewood and near the flight path of LAX.
Pretty much this. But a lot of major stadiums are not in residential areas. And of course if the Raiders move there the property values will plummet!

The Lakers played in Inglewood for years and Hollywood Park was there so how did that effect property value?

Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Pretty much this. But a lot of major stadiums are not in residential areas. And of course if the Raiders move there the property values will plummet!

The Lakers played in Inglewood for years and Hollywood Park was there so how did that effect property value?
Not going to lie...I was pretty nervous about the idea of the Raiders coming to town.
We're relatively new to Inglewood. We bought our home at the end of 2013, so I'm not sure the effect the Lakers had on the area.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
So far, we've enjoyed living in Inglewood, and after taking a look at HKS' plan for the stadium, it seems like the development will include many more features designed to function independent of the stadium itself (shopping centers, parks, etc.).

Call me crazy, but the flight path thing hasn't been an issue. In a city as big and congested as LA, I've found the close proximity to the airport a huge plus actually. The idea of driving 45 mins - 1 hour in traffic to get home after a long flight just sounds awful.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:49 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
traffic on sundays will of course be an issue.
if/when the rams ever win a superbowl, be prepared for potential rioting.
one would think that nearby areas would also clean up a bit, hopefully causing a domino effect around the city.
i'm not sure property values for your home will be directly affected unless the above point plays out.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:56 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
traffic on sundays will of course be an issue.
if/when the rams ever win a superbowl, be prepared for potential rioting.
one would think that nearby areas would also clean up a bit, hopefully causing a domino effect around the city.
i'm not sure property values for your home will be directly affected unless the above point plays out.
And of course LA will definitely host multiple Super Bowls. That's another thing to factor in.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:19 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbs339 View Post
So far, we've enjoyed living in Inglewood, and after taking a look at HKS' plan for the stadium, it seems like the development will include many more features designed to function independent of the stadium itself (shopping centers, parks, etc.).

Call me crazy, but the flight path thing hasn't been an issue. In a city as big and congested as LA, I've found the close proximity to the airport a huge plus actually. The idea of driving 45 mins - 1 hour in traffic to get home after a long flight just sounds awful.
The stadium itself will have no positive effect. Depending on whether the developers actually build the proposed parks, shopping centers, etc, those might be some features that boost property values.

Baseball stadiums (81 home games/year) and some combo basketball/hockey (41 games for each sport) arenas can add some value to an area, as they are used frequently and can add restaurants and bars to a neighborhoods to service the fans going to the game. There aren't too many business plans that will survive targeting only fans going to 8 home games and 2 preaseason "games" a year for an NFL stadium (16/4 if two teams). Most NFL stadiums sit in the middle of a sea of parking, with people driving into the game and then leaving and going home afterward. The only NFL stadiums I've been to with a little bit of street life/businesses is the Superdome in New Orleans. The other NFL stadiums I've been to (Houston, Minneapolis, New England, Miami, San Diego, and old Texas Stadium in Irving) have had no positive impact on the surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:25 PM

Boy...now I'm depressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles