Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I might be moving to the palos verdes area and will have to commute from cdowntown LA to palos verdes area. From what I can garner with google maps, this commiute will take me about an hour to an hour and 15 mins.

However, I'm *hoping* use of the express lanes will cut this commute time down, but I have no way of testing it (since I'm living several states away right now

I'm wondering if anyone out there has done a similar commute and could comment on how much time would/could be saved on the commute? Praying to cut the commute down to less then an hour atleast

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 10:48 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darku View Post
Hi all, I might be moving to the palos verdes area and will have to commute from cdowntown LA to palos verdes area. From what I can garner with google maps, this commiute will take me about an hour to an hour and 15 mins.

However, I'm *hoping* use of the express lanes will cut this commute time down, but I have no way of testing it (since I'm living several states away right now

I'm wondering if anyone out there has done a similar commute and could comment on how much time would/could be saved on the commute? Praying to cut the commute down to less then an hour atleast

Thank you!
Yes you can save 15 minutes using the express lane during rush hour but first you need to make it to the entrance from downtown which is a crawl. The price of the express lanes varies and can cost over $15 each way if you have to pay. PV is large if Google says 60 to 75 minute then yes you can save those 15 minutes.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:02 PM

329 posts, read 627,624 times
Depends on what time you are on the road. Anytime after 7AM traffic will be bad and it will cost you around $6-8 to bypass traffic. Then you need to deal with surface street traffic. Since PV is far away from fwy expect to spend 25-40 mins on top of your fwy travel time. I used to go from ktown to Torrance at 6AM and it was smooth and takes about 35 mins without fastrak. If you're leaving after 7am, your commute time will double. After 8 might as well call in sick because that's 1.5hr commute and fastrak doesn't help much

Old 02-11-2016, 11:32 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
When I was commuting from Long Beach to Westwood, I would take Ocean Boulevard to the 47 to the 110 to the 105 to the 405 and get off at Wilshire.

Depending on where you live in Palos Verdes, I would recommend hitting the 110 freeway no later than 6:30am, if you're commuting to DTLA.

From 6:00-7:00am, the 110 freeway from its start at Gaffey Street to about Manchester Avenue is actually quite fast.

If you purchase a FastTrak Pass, you don't have to merge into the toll lane until after the 105 junction (if possible - I can't recall exactly because I never needed to use that lane in my previous commute).

The evening commute on the 110 freeway from DTLA isn't as fast, unfortunately. Traveling south, traffic can be pretty heay until about the 105 and then again from the 405 junction to about PCH. And of course, evening rush hour in LA is much longer than morning rush hour.

If you're working in Downtown LA and living in Palos Verdes, I'm sure you'll easily be able to afford the toll charges you'll incur on that daily commute.

That, plus Palos Verdes is totally worth it, IMO. You couldn't pay me to live in DTLA or the surrounding areas, including the ones that aren't as "hood" - too crowded, too polluted, too ghetto, too hot, too rundown, etc.

I'm more of a beach person, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles