Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 06:44 AM

50 posts, read 55,342 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Newport Beach and my wife will be working in El Segundo, she is about 6 months pregnant so I don't want her to commute to far (she will do this commute 3 days a week).

Where should we rent a nice apartment in a nice area close to El Segundo where I can drive to Newport Beach everyday? Also how long would my commute on average be?

Need to be in a good town because oh we have a 1 year old as well...

So daycare in a nice area very very important.

Budget for apartment (2beds) $2,500
Thx yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:29 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,803,601 times
Anywhen from Westchester to North Torrance. She'll want to take streets and your drive will be close to an hour. Every 1 minute closer to work for you will cost her 2 minutes.

Is being close to a particular hospital important?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 AM

987 posts, read 1,747,151 times
I live in El Segundo (since last year), prices are about what your looking for (might even be able to find a house for rent) they average past $2000 & higher for 2 bdm, although homes vary & mostly smaller, however the area is like Mayberry (it's an small quaint town w/some or most folks that know each other), schools are excellent & safe - crime here is mostly small petty thefts, but that's due to the trust in the community & everyone leaves their bikes out, unlocked or just in plain view.
You would be 5 minutes from the 105 EB fwy, connects you to the 405/etc. Too bad 405 hasn't gotten toll lanes yet, we use it on 110 into DTLA & it really does save time & unnecessary stress. Closest hospitals are another issue though.
I'm w/Kaiser & my primary location I prefer is Harbor City, although I have a choice w/Culver City (off the 10 fwy). I think there are hospitals near Torrance near Redondo Beach & Inglewood.

Lots to think about. What above poster stated is all true as well.
Good luck finding your residence.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
Don't live any closer to El Segundo than Torrance or your commute will be a living hell. I hope one of you can work off hours to help ease the commute.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:26 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,669,626 times
.. Somewhere along the 405??

Old 02-26-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Don't live any closer to El Segundo than Torrance or your commute will be a living hell. I hope one of you can work off hours to help ease the commute.
My wife would work east coast hours so in at like 5(ish) and out by like 2pm (ish). Me on the other hand normal business hours...how long do you think it would take me say from Torrance to Newport Beach in the morning then back at night?

Old 02-26-2016, 12:22 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick21 View Post
My wife would work east coast hours so in at like 5(ish) and out by like 2pm (ish). Me on the other hand normal business hours...how long do you think it would take me say from Torrance to Newport Beach in the morning then back at night?
with those hours, i'd definitely live close to Newport. There will be very limited traffic in the morning for your wife and the afternoons shouldn't be too bad either. otherwise, from torrance to NB during normal commuting hours will probably take close to 90 minutes, certainly over an hour. my wife used to commute from long beach to Newport and it took close to an hour. torrance is quite a bit further than LB. i would probably even consider living in Long Beach for the sake of your commute.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:43 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Can she take the Metro rail to work? If so, you can find apartments around Norwalk where the Green line begins. Even if she can not, that area will still be a good choice for you as just south of it are some very good neighborhoods, e.g., Cerritos, Cypress, Los Alamitos, etc., where she can drive north on the 605 and connect with the 105, while you can go south into the 405.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
with those hours, i'd definitely live close to Newport. There will be very limited traffic in the morning for your wife and the afternoons shouldn't be too bad either. otherwise, from torrance to NB during normal commuting hours will probably take close to 90 minutes, certainly over an hour. my wife used to commute from long beach to Newport and it took close to an hour. torrance is quite a bit further than LB. i would probably even consider living in Long Beach for the sake of your commute.
Thanks! So you think she will be fine in the morning and afternoon because those are "off hours"? Cool..

Is Long Beach a family place? Is it nice? Should we look at apartment close to the ocean or close to the 405?

Sorry buddy, I don't know the area that well. Your a huge help

Old 02-26-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Can she take the Metro rail to work? If so, you can find apartments around Norwalk where the Green line begins. Even if she can not, that area will still be a good choice for you as just south of it are some very good neighborhoods, e.g., Cerritos, Cypress, Los Alamitos, etc., where she can drive north on the 605 and connect with the 105, while you can go south into the 405.
Metro rail? What is that I didn't think LA or the surrounding areas had public transportation besides buses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles