Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 2,512 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My name is Tascha, and I'm seeking help about finding the most affordable places to live around LA.

I just graduated in October with my bachelor's in Computer Animation, and want to move to LA to try and get hired on at the big animation studios. Plus 95% of the job opening I'm finding for my area of expertise are in LA (I wish I was kidding). I've applied for all their summer internships, even some at some of the large game studios, but if I don't get any of those I need to just move cause there is 0 industry where I currently live for me.

Basically what I'm looking for is places around LA that I could afford to live alone should I have to work some minimum wage job until I can get hired on at a studio. I've looked into several websites, but most of them revolve around schools for kids which I don't have. Some websites suggested places like Manhattan Beach, yet other places say its super expensive to live there. Others have suggest places like Irvine, which is where some of the game studios are, but its hard to find good info on the housing market. I just need some help from people that actually live there, because I can't afford to come out and area scout myself.

I have my own vehicle, and would like areas within and hour and a half drive distance from LA. 2 hours if its a really affordable place to live. Other than that I don't really have any preferences, since I'm just looking at this as a jumping off place until I can get a job that I want in LA.

The only reason I haven't really considered La itself is because it seems like a place I wouldn't be able to afford to live on my own (I am very opposed to roommates since I don't know anyone out there). If that is incorrect that would be good to know, but it seems any of the affordable places to live would probably not be places I'd want to live, lol. But again, I don't know for sure which is why I am here.

Recap, just looking for a place a single person could live affordably for a while. I am looking to rent since I'm probably not going to be staying there. Would like some links if anyone has any available for me to look through as well. You just get a lot of mixed reviews online unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 09:59 AM

160 posts, read 148,668 times
Either live with room mates or rent a room or pool house/cabana from some old rich people. Those will be the cheapest options.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Zero chance of fulfilling your requirements. Even ghetto is absolute min of $650-700 rent and you cannot afford that on min wage.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:39 AM

601 posts, read 755,868 times
Hi OP, I work in television animation. Lots of people in the industry looking for roommates in LA. You're much better off looking for a roommate - not only financially, but for networking reasons. You won't get a job in this industry if you don't meet people.

However, let's get real for a second here: I can say with absolute certainty that 75%+ of graduates are not yet prepared for an actual job. Unless you went to a good art school, the skill levels of your classmates and of the actual industry are a world of difference. Compare your work to a professional and think really hard if your skills are actually ready. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you couldn't get into an internship program...it's hard to think you'd get hired outright? The bar for employees is set much higher than for interns.

Realistically most people are just not ready strait out of school, because the schools have poor curriculum. The ones who make it continue to seriously self-educate for a few more years. It takes intense dedication and work, and doesn't happen overnight - speaking from experience. It might be better for you to work part-time and save up money where you're at, and spend your personal time rigorously studying and improving your work. While you're studying and saving, I'd recommend visiting LA (with your reel/portfolio, of course) for events like CTNX to get feedback and get to know the industry a bit better. Keep applying for internships and apprenticeships for as long as you're eligible.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 2,512 times
Hey SpaceMonkey Punks, I really appreciate your reply. For a lot of the positions I'm applying for I am qualified, it seems to be coming down to the fact I'm across country and can't start tomorrow. I have three degrees and have been an artist and studied for a very long time. Some things I'm not as prefered for, but what I'm applying for a definitely am up to par but because I'm so far away studios don't really want to wait for me to move and be settled. I get that, I wouldn't either if there were people right there just as good. I'm definitely realistic about my abilities, there just isn't always an internship for my specific set of skills. I apply for all the art ones at least.

How would I go about finding a roommate then if I must? If you go on Craiglist you just find creepy guys looking for FWB and thats not okay. What would you reccommend on finding someone in my same situation looking for roommates?

Last edited by ZufaelligeFenster; 02-20-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 11:58 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZufaelligeFenster View Post
How would I go about finding a roommate then if I must? If you go on Craiglist you just find creepy guys looking for FWB and thats not okay. What would you reccommend on finding someone in my same situation looking for roommates?
Craigslist isn't all bad. You can find great roommates on there. So don't write it off. It is still the main place to find roommates these days. But from what you said, you definitely aren't going to be able to afford a place on your own.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:46 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Craigslist isn't all bad. You can find great roommates on there. So don't write it off. It is still the main place to find roommates these days. But from what you said, you definitely aren't going to be able to afford a place on your own.
Miami woman left in coma after she 'was attacked by male roommate found on Craigslist' | Daily Mail Online

Old 02-20-2016, 09:13 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
Try looking on UCLA and USC websites for roommate ads (just google usc and roommates and there's a bunch of different sites). Doesn't guarantee you won't come across a psycho, but it is at least a bit more of a filter than Craigslist. It's not just younger undergrads, there's plenty of graduate students and recent grads looking for roommates as well. May also be useful for networking if they are in the Film or Cinematic Arts programs.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:37 PM

601 posts, read 755,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Try looking on UCLA and USC websites for roommate ads...
USC maybe, but there's no point in living in the overpriced and out of the way area around UCLA when most of the animation studios are up in the valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZufaelligeFenster View Post
Hey SpaceMonkey Punks, I really appreciate your reply. For a lot of the positions I'm applying for I am qualified, it seems to be coming down to the fact I'm across country and can't start tomorrow. I have three degrees and have been an artist and studied for a very long time. Some things I'm not as prefered for, but what I'm applying for a definitely am up to par but because I'm so far away studios don't really want to wait for me to move and be settled. I get that, I wouldn't either if there were people right there just as good. I'm definitely realistic about my abilities, there just isn't always an internship for my specific set of skills. I apply for all the art ones at least.

If you feel confident in your skills, well.....ultimately that's up to you. If you're actually getting responses/tests/interviews, it would probably be good for you to make the plunge.

As for trying to find another artist roommate: most of my friends did it by connecting with people online (forging friendships over time through fb/twitter/tumblr/etc) , and reaching out to friends/past classmates/etc who might already live in the area. Reconnect with graduates from your program(s). You could also try tight-knit industry specific websites/forums. Again, yeah, doesn't prevent a psycho - but it's another filter wall.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:03 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Try the Ventura County Craigslist and look in Simi Valley for a room rental. Less expensive, very safe, good shopping,and just a few miles to the SF Valley and commutable to Burbank and Glendale on the 118, one of the lightest traffic freeways.

Also of interest:
Animation Meetups in Simi Valley - Meetup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles